Yvonne /ɪˈvɒn/ is a female given name. It is French in origin, and is the female form of Yvon, which is derived from the Germanic name Yves. It is from the Germanic word iv, meaning "yew." This name means "beautiful girl", from the Germanic word Iv meaning "yew."
This name first arrived in England with the Norman invasion, along with variations such as Yvette, and male versions of the same name. It was the most popular of all of these names, but eventually died out from usage. It was reintroduced into English-speaking countries in the early 20th century, when it was very popular. It is currently 173rd in the USA popular names list, but is an uncommon name in younger generations. It has also lost popularity in France, where in 1900, it was the 7th most popular name.
Yvonne has several name days, on the 29th of May in Sweden and August 8th in Norway. Common variations of this name include Evonne, Evone, Yvonette, Ivonette, Ywona, Iwona, Yvonnie, Yvon.
People with this name
This is a list of notable people with the first name Yvonne:
- Miss Yvonne, Pee-wee's Playhouse character
- Yvonne Arnaud, French actress
- Yvonne Borree, New York City Ballet principal dancer
- Yvonne Bryceland, South African actress
- Yvonne Catterfeld, German singer
- Yvonne Chaka Chaka, South African singer, nicknamed "princess of Africa"
- Yvonne Chouteau, Ballet dancer
- Yvonne Craig, former ballet dancer with the Ballet De Russe Monte Carlo and actress famous for playing Batgirl on the 1960s series "Batman" and Marta in the episode of Star Trek the Original Series "Whom Gods Destroy"
- Yvonne Cryns (b. 1951), American midwife and political activist
- Yvonne DeCarlo, Canadian actress, famous for her work on The Munsters
- Yvonne Elkuch, Liechtensteinerin cyclist
- Yvonne Elliman, 70s pop music artist
- Yvonne Jacquette, U.S. artist (painter, printmaker)
- Yvonne Kenny, Australian opera singer Yvonne god to school
- Yvonne Loriod (1924–2010), French pianist and
- Yvonne Meusburger, Austrian tennis player
- Yvonne Minton, Australian opera singer
- Yvonne Monlaur, French actress
- Yvonne Printemps, French actress
- Yvonne Rainer, American dancer
- Yvonne Ridley, British journalist and a Muslim Activist
- Yvonne Ryding, Miss Universe 1984
- Yvonne Strahovski (née Strzechowski), Australian actress, best known for her part as Sarah Walker on Chuck
- Yvonne van Gennip, Dutch Olympic speed skater