Yielden

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article

Yielden
Yeldon Church 2 - geograph.org.uk - 251525.jpg
Yielden Church
Yielden is located in Bedfordshire
Yielden

 Yielden shown within Bedfordshire
OS grid referenceTL011746
Civil parishMelchbourne and Yielden
Unitary authorityBedford
Ceremonial countyBedfordshire
RegionEast
CountryEngland
Sovereign stateUnited Kingdom
Post townBEDFORD
Postcode districtMK44
Dialling code01933
PoliceBedfordshire
FireBedfordshire and Luton
AmbulanceEast of England
EU ParliamentEast of England
UK ParliamentNorth East Bedfordshire
List of places
UK
England
Bedfordshire
 
Jump to: navigation, search

Coordinates: 52°17′00″N 0°31′00″W / 52.2833°N 0.5166°W / 52.2833; -0.5166

Yielden
Yeldon Church 2 - geograph.org.uk - 251525.jpg
Yielden Church
Yielden is located in Bedfordshire
Yielden

 Yielden shown within Bedfordshire
OS grid referenceTL011746
Civil parishMelchbourne and Yielden
Unitary authorityBedford
Ceremonial countyBedfordshire
RegionEast
CountryEngland
Sovereign stateUnited Kingdom
Post townBEDFORD
Postcode districtMK44
Dialling code01933
PoliceBedfordshire
FireBedfordshire and Luton
AmbulanceEast of England
EU ParliamentEast of England
UK ParliamentNorth East Bedfordshire
List of places
UK
England
Bedfordshire

Yielden is a village in Bedfordshire, near the borders with Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire. It lies on the River Til which feeds into the Great Ouse valley and is about 70m above sea level. It is approximately 14 miles north of Bedford, 3.75miles south-east of Higham Ferrers and 6.75 miles west of Kimbolton and is in the Hundred of Stodden. The countryside around the village rises to about 90m above sea level, is generally open and rolling in nature and is predominantly used for agricultural purposes. The centre piece of the village is the Castle Mound or Yielden Castle the site of a Norman motte-and-bailey castle. This is now a complex of grassed over earthworks dominated by a central mound. Other notable features include the church of St Mary, a Wesleyan Chapel built in 1884, the Chequers Public House and the Yelden Village Hall. It has a present population of roughly between 150 - 200 adults and 50 - 100 children living in about 90 residences.

Yielden has its own book under the title 'Yelden Past and Present' produced by the Yelden Parish Study Group that was first printed in 1972. It has since been updated and reprinted in 2001 and is the definitive source of historical information about the village. Much of the information in this article has been made with reference to this publication.

Neighbouring villages include Melchbourne, Newton Bromswold, Upper Dean and Shelton.

The History of Yielden[edit source | edit]

Archaeological excavations carried out by Bedfordshire County Council along with other historical works have shown evidence of a near continuous occupation in the village dating back to the late Neolithic and early Bronze Age (c.2000 -800 BC). Latterly the village appeared in the Domesday Book of 1086 as 'Giveldene' where an account of its history was recorded.

The Castle Mound - Motte and Bailey Castle[edit source | edit]

This is a significant archaeological site and one of the most interesting of its type in the county. It was the site of a Norman Motte and Bailey Castle that from Domesday to the 13th century was the stronghold of the Trailly family. It is an imposing feature with a central conical mound rising to about 40 feet above the bottom of its north moat. It is in 2 levels with 2 extensive baileys and is not surrounded by a moat. There have been suggestions that prior to Norman times it was occupied by the Iceni, an ancient tribe of Britains and that they battled with the Romans at the site but opinions differ as to the accuracy of this assertion. In any event records show that by 1360 it had fallen in disuse and ruin.

The Church of St Mary[edit source | edit]

It is a good example of a village church mainly in the Decorated style. Originally the Trailly family received it from the Monks at Thorney abbey early in the 12th Century and was confirmed to them by a charter of Pope Alexander III in 1162. Although Norman in origin its shows no indication of this in its construction. It consists of a Nave and Chancel dating back to the early 13th Century and had been considerably re-modelled since then, the most notable feature being the tower and broach spire.

Yielden at war 1939 - 1945[edit source | edit]

World War II was a significant time in the history of the village because of its close proximity to Chelveston Aerodrome, which was originally built with three runways in 1941. An Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment detachment began flying from the aerodrome in 1942 with Horsa gliders towed by Short Stirling aircraft. Later in 1942, following the entry of the United States into the war, it eventually became the home of the United States Army Air Forces 305th Bombardment Group (Heavy), which had four squadrons of Boeing B-17 Flying Fortresses pioneering the daylight formation and bombing procedures of the time. There were almost 2,000 personnel based at the aerodrome flying a total of 337 missions between November 1942 and April 1945. During these missions, a total of 22,362 tons of bombs were dropped on enemy targets and 332 enemy aircraft were claimed shot down at the expense of 154 Allied aircraft and 810 men.

During the aerodrome's construction, a series of buildings were erected in the village near the church as quarters for the Women's Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) but instead became the sergeant's mess for the Americans. In more recent times these buildings, known locally as "the camps," fell into rack and ruin and so were demolished to make way for a new housing development. Today Philips Medows, Stanbrook Way and Forge Gardens stand on these sites.

Boeing B-17F-115-BO Flying Fortress Serial 42-30647 of the U.S. Army Air Forces 366th Bombardment Squadron on a mission to Stuttgart, Germany, on 6 September 1943. On 23 September 1943, this aircraft crashed at Chevelston returning from a mission, killing all on board

On 24 March 1944[1] a Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress bomber belonging to the U.S. Army Air Force's 422nd Bomb Squadron, 305th Bomb Group (Heavy), crashed on take off from RAF Chelveston, killing the entire crew of 10 and 11 persons on the ground. Today Forge Gardens stands on the crash site.[2] In May 2009 a service was held in the village church and a tablet recording the names of those who died in the crash was dedicated. Two children, Keith (aged 14) and Monica (aged 4), were killed during the crash when the aircraft hit the house they were sleeping in. The remainder of those who died consisted of servicemen who were sleeping in a barrack block which the aircraft hit and the crew of the bomber. It is said that at certain times of the year the distant drone of a B-17 can be heard in the early dawn hours, and there are also various sightings of ghostly airmen seen around the church yard and near to the crash site.

Spelling of the village name[edit source | edit]

In common with most other place, the village name has evolved over the centuries. The earliest recorded version was 'Giveldene' in 1086 and since then there have been over 20 changes. At one stage (circa 1390) it was recorded as being 'Yelden' before becoming known as Yeveldene in 1461. Other names include Chivelden, Gyueldene, Yueldene, Yealdon, Evelden, Yeveldene, Yielding and Yeilden. Finally it was recorded as being 'Yelden' again in 1830 with the latest variant 'Yielden' having arrived in more recent times.

Yielden spelt wrong on a Signpost in Rushden

Depending on which direction you approach from you will find that the name of the village is spelt differently on various sign posts:

There has been much argument over the correct spelling the village name over recent years and it still remains a matter of confusion for those trying to find their way to the village. Currently the 'correct' spelling officially used by the county is 'Yielden' although some other neighbouring counties seem not to have been told. A questionnaire on the subject was circulated to villagers in 1998. 44 considered the village to be called 'Yelden' - 30 considered it to be called 'Yielden'. Modern postal systems generally record it as 'Yielden'

Modern day Yelden[edit source | edit]

Social Scene

Yielden is famed for its Strawberry Fayre which is held on the last Sunday in June each year. This generally attracts thousands of visitors to the village to sample oysters and champagne, strawberry teas, live jazz, classic cars, bikes and tractors and traditional summer fete activities in order to raise funds for the Church. In addition to the Strawberry Fayre the village also holds a yearly Summer Ball where the dress code is either ball gowns and black tie or fancy dress! Other events include Safari Suppers, horse racing nights, wine & cheese evenings plus regular evening and weekend events at The Chequers and the newly built Village Hall.

Some have found, to their cost, that the village can be very cliquey.

References[edit source | edit]

  1. ^ Pages 136 - 138. Donald, William. 'John Burn One Zero Five: The Story of Chelveston Airfield and the 305th Bomb Group in Pictures. 2005. (ISBN 1-90451-426-X)
  2. ^ Crash Memorial - Church of St Mary, Yielden