From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Willow Spring (or Willow Springs) is an unincorporated community in southeastern Wake County, and western Johnston County North Carolina, United States. As of 2007, the population was 212. The Frank and Mary Smith House and Turner and Amelia Smith House, both listed on the National Register of Historic Places, are located in Willow Spring. There is only one natural spring in Willow Spring, which is why its called Willow Spring instead of Willow Springs. Black Creek, part of the Neuse River, runs through Willow Spring. There are wetlands such as swamp and marsh surrounding the creek.
Willow Spring has an humid subtropical climate. Summertime average temperatures range between 90-97 degrees, sometimes rising into the 100s. Average Wintertime temperatures range between 55-65 degrees, sometimes rising into the mid-80s. In 1987 an alert relative of Ms. Sally Beard asked the NC EPA to sample the wells in Willow Spring. The conditions of an agricultural field and several gasoline stations upslope from Ms. Beard's property led state investigators to sample the wells. Samples indicated groundwater pollution levels exceeding safe drinking water limits. New wells drilled revealed that groundwater could no longer be used as a potable water sources for people in the area. The end result was that Willow Spring residents' residences and businesses were connected to the Wake County water system.
Heavy snow is rare in Willow Spring, as is for most of the Coastal Plain region. Even though heavy snow is rare, a flurry or two occur every year in Willow Spring, rarely enough to stick.
There are 5 people per square mile (population density). The median age is 33.8. The US median is 37.6. 65.75% of people in Willow Spring (27592), NC, are married. 7.95% are divorced.
The average household size is 2.7 people. 34.73% of people are married, with children. 6.77% have children
Willow Spring Elementary school is one of the few public schools in North Carolina to receive a 10 out of 10 rating by Great Schools. Middle School and High School physically close to this community are in Fuquay-Varina
Clara Leach Adams-Ender was born in Willow Spring. Sally Verona Blalock lived here until December 1950 when she married recently widowed John M. Beard, Sr. His first wife was Mary Louise Seely Beard (1908-1950), the second daughter of Asheville's Fred Loring Seely. Mr. Beard and Sally moved to the farm, Talicud, on West Lake Road. There she raised corn and hogs and dogs. Mr. Beard died in 1958. Missus Sally stayed at Talicud until 1986 when she sold her 308 acres to developers who eventually built the complex of schools and tennis courts now there. She moved back and retired in style to her Willow Spring, N.C. childhood home. She lived there until she died in October 1991. The last known person to see her that day was a furnace repairman. Duke Peace, a good friend and educator, inherited the bulk of her estate worth over 3 million dollars. The local church inherited her property (house and storage barn) while the antiques and repairable items including a rare 2 speed Ford were sold at a March 7, 1992 auction. One fine brass lamp sold for a record $750.oo at the auction. Missus Sally and Mr. Beard are buried at the Willow Spring Baptist Church.
|This article about a location in Wake County, North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|