Although some medical services have been delivered on the site since 1473, the current hospital has its origins in the Small Pox and Vaccination Hospital, built in 1848. Independently managed hospitals were founded on the Archway Site and the Highgate Site. In 1946, all three hospitals were brought together. The current hospital has 360 beds.
A number of other medical facilities have been incorporated into the Whittington Hospital over the years. When the City of London Maternity Hospital was founded in 1750, it was called the Hospital for Married Women in the City of London and parts adjacent and also for sick and lame outpatients. In 1751, it moved, and was renamed the City of London Lying-in Hospital for Married Ladies. It moved again in 1773 to premises between St. Luke's Hospital for Lunatics and the Fox and Goose Ale House in the City Road. In 1918, it became the City of London Maternity Hospital and was eventually incorporated into the main hospital.
Information sheets on the walls of the Whittington Hospital accessed in 2005
"Our history". The Whittington Hospital. Retrieved 29 August 2014.