From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
The Wantagh Fire Department (WFD) is a volunteer fire department headquartered in Wantagh, New York. As one of the largest fire districts in Nassau County (13 square miles), it is responsible for parts of neighboring Bellmore, Levittown and Seaford hamlets as well as Jones Beach Island. The Wantagh Fire Department answers over 2,000 calls per year, and has approximately 250 members using 20 pieces of apparatus (7 Engines, 2 Ladders, 5 Ambulances, 1 Heavy Rescue, 1 Water Rescue unit, a Safety Officer vehicle, an EMS First Responder vehicle, a Field Command unit, and a Rehabilitation Van, as well as a Fire/Rescue Boat) located throughout 7 Stations.
The Chief of The Wantagh Fire Department is William Allen.
In December 1899 group of 21 residents of the then small community of Wantagh met for the purpose of forming a Fire Department. A Certificate of Incorporation was filed with the Secretary of State on January 2, 1900, thus incorporating "Wantagh Hook and Ladder Company #1. At a meeting held on July 5, 1900, a proposal was made "that a paper be drawn to solicit subscriptions for the purchase of a “truck". A committee to raise funds was appointed, and after a very successful dinner and dance the department had more than enough for a truck.
At the end of 1900 after one year of operation the membership totaled approximately 40 members.The possibility of forming a Fire District was finally realized in 1922 with the formation of the Wantagh Fire District.
In 1953, the Wantagh Fire Department consisted of three firehouses. Headquartered (presently Wantagh Auto Body) on Railroad Avenue facing the Long Island Railroad Tracks, which were not yet elevated. Station 2 was a two car garage on Wantagh Avenue near General Douglas MacArthur High School and Station 3 was a two car garage on Neptune Avenue in Seaford Harbor.As the suburban area developed some New York City firefighters moved to the suburbs and many joined the Wantagh Fire Department.
During the month of August in 1954 a United States Air Force fighter while traveling from Delaware to Massachusetts crashed into the middle of the street on Denver Road in Wantagh. The crash and ensuing fire damaged some 30 homes on Denver Road, Dover Road and Roxbury Avenue.
In 1964, the Jones Beach Boardwalk Restaurant was destroyed by fire. As a result of the restaurant fire, New York State contracted with the Wantagh Fire Department to protect Jones Beach State Park, while the Town of Oyster Bay contracted with the Department to protect Tobay Beach.
On September 18, 1999 the Wantagh Fire Department held its 100th Anniversary Invitational Parade.
The Board of Fire Commissioners consists of five unpaid elected officials, who serve a five year term. The board meets on a monthly basis to conduct business, approve expenses and oversee the Fire District.
The Chiefs of the Wantagh Fire Department are elected by the membership to oversee the Operations of the Department both at the time of an alarm and in an administrative capacity. The Chief sets policy, implements general orders, imposes discipline and oversees Department finances.