Waking Up is the second studio album by American rock band OneRepublic, released through Interscope Records on November 17, 2009. The album peaked at number 21 on the Billboard 200 and has sold over 400,000 copies in the U.S and over 800,000 total.
Lead singer Ryan Tedder has stated in an interview that Jerrod Bettis, who was a former OneRepublic member, had come up with the idea for the album cover while in Seattle.
After the success of OneRepublic's debut album, Dreaming Out Loud, they began work on a second album in 2008. Lead singer Ryan Tedder announced on July 21, 2009, that the band's second album would be completed five weeks from that date which was August 25, 2009. On September 6, 2009, the band posted a low-quality version of the first single from their second album, "All the Right Moves", while a higher quality version can be found on their MySpace page. On September 8, 2009, the band posted samples of 4 of their songs from the new album onto their MySpace page. 11 songs were announced to make up the track list, which was officially confirmed by Amazon's German site on November 3, 2009.
Promotion and release
Waking Up was released through Interscope Records on November 17, 2009, in North America, November 20, in Australia, while being released on November 13 in Germany and not until January 18, 2010, in the United Kingdom. A deluxe version of the album was released exclusively in North America at the same time as the standard version. The album was completed on August 25, 2009. The lead single from the album, "All the Right Moves", was released on September 29, 2009, for airplay and officially released on October 6, 2009. The lead single in Germany, "Secrets" was released on October 30, 2009, and it was released as a single in the US on June 1, 2010.
The first single from Waking Up, "All the Right Moves", was released for radio airplay on September 29, 2009, and then received an official release digitally on October 6, 2009. The music video for the single was released on October 8, 2009. It has peaked at number 18 on the Billboard Hot 100. OneRepublic then digitally released "Everybody Loves Me" on October 20, 2009, after having already posted a snippet of the song along with three others on their MySpace page. "Good Life" was then released digitally on November 10, peaking at number 8 on the Billboard Hot 100.
"Secrets" was released as the lead single from the album in Germany for airplay on September 21, 2009 and was released digitally on October 30, 2009, in Germany. It was also released on November 3, 2009 as the album's second digital single in the US. "Secrets" was released as a single in Germany due to the fact that it is being used as the title song in the film Zweiohrküken, the sequel to Keinohrhasen, which used the band's song "Apologize" as the title song. Ryan Tedder has confirmed that this will serve as the official second single worldwide in 2010.
The song "Marchin On" was selected to support the German TV channel ZDF and serves as the channel's official FIFA 2010 World Cup song. It was released for digital download in Germany on June 18, 2010.
The song "Good Life" is featured on the advertisements for the films Eat Pray Love and One Day, as well as advertisements for Disneyland.
Waking Up received mostly mixed reviews from most music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalised rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 61, based on 8 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews".
|1.||"Made for You" ||Ryan Tedder, Brent Kutzle||Tedder, Kutzle||4:18|
|2.||"All the Right Moves" ||Tedder||Tedder, Andy Prickett, Kutzle||3:58|
|3.||"Secrets" ||Tedder||Tedder, Prickett||3:44|
|4.||"Everybody Loves Me" ||Tedder, Kutzle||Tedder, Kutzle||3:34|
|5.||"Missing Persons 1 & 2" ||Tedder||Tedder||4:59|
|6.||"Good Life" ||Tedder, Kutzle, Noel Zanacanella, Eddie Fisher||Tedder, Kutzle, Zanacanella||4:13|
|7.||"All This Time" ||Tedder, Kutzle||Tedder, Kutzle||4:03|
|9.||"Waking Up" ||Tedder, Drew Brown||Tedder||6:09|
|10.||"Marchin On" ||Tedder||Tedder||4:13|
|11.||"Lullaby" ||Tedder, Kutzle||Tedder, Prickett, Kutzle||4:38|
|7.||"All This Time" (Final Version)||Tedder, Brown, Kutzle||Tedder, Kutzle||3:36|
|12.||"Sleep" ||Tedder, Jerrod Bettis, Drew Brown, Zachary Filkins, Tim Myers||Greg Wells||5:54|
|13.||"Shout (Live Version)" ||Roland Orzabal, Ian Stanley||Chris Hughes||4:24|
|12.||"Passenger" ||Tedder||Mikal Blue||4:00|
|13.||"It’s a Shame" ||Tedder||Charles Pollard||4:51|
|14.||"Trap Door" ||Tedder, Tim Myers||Blue||3:54|
|15.||"Sucker Punch" ||Tedder, Zach Filkins, Myers||Blue||4:26|
- Ryan Tedder – lead vocals, rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, keyboard, tambourine, djembe
- Zach Filkins – lead guitar, viola, acoustic guitar, backing vocals
- Drew Brown – rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, keyboard, glockenspiel, tambourine, backing vocals
- Brent Kutzle – bass guitar, cello, acoustic guitar, keyboard, backing vocals
- Eddie Fisher – drums, percussion
|Germany||November 13, 2009||CD, digital download||Interscope|
|November 20, 2009||CD|
|Hungary||November 16, 2009||CD||Universal Music Hungary|
|Hong Kong||November 16, 2009||CD||Interscope|
|United Kingdom||November 16, 2009||Digital download||Polydor|
|January 18, 2010||CD||Interscope|
|Australia||November 17, 2009||Digital download|
|United States||November 17, 2009||CD, digital download|
|Poland||January 22, 2010||CD|
|Italy||CD, digital download|
|Brazil||February 2, 2010||CD||Universal Music Brazil|
- ^ OneRepublic official site - Check for new releases.
- ^ "Top 40/M Future Releases | Mainstream Hit Songs Being Released and Their Release Dates". Allaccess.com. http://www.allaccess.com/top40-mainstream/future-releases. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ a b "Marchin on (2-Track): Onerepublic, Timbaland: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. http://www.amazon.de/dp/B003O2A49I. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ a b c d "OneRepublic Album & Song Chart History". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/onerepublic/chart-history/725855. Retrieved 2009-12-04.
- ^ Croteau, Lauren (2009-11-17). "Exclusive: Pop Music Scene’s OneRepublic Interview « : Crushable - Crushable gives you the celebrity news, style and scoop on the stuff you care about". Crushable. http://crushable.com/entertainment/exclusive-pop-music-scenes-onerepublic-interview/. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ Universal Music official Russian website - News to spread the note about OneRepublic's new album
- ^ Zweiohrküken trailer HD on YouTube.com
- ^ a b "Waking Up Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic.com. 2012-02-22. http://www.metacritic.com/music/waking-up. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ http://www.allmusic.com/album/r1679163
- ^ "Music - Review of OneRepublic - Waking Up". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/cqvh. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "OneRepublic, "Waking Up"". Billboard.com. 2009-12-04. http://www.billboard.com/new-releases/onerepublic-waking-up-1004051163.story#/new-releases/onerepublic-waking-up-1004051163.story. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ Sullivan, Caroline (January 14, 2010). "OneRepublic: Waking Up". The Guardian (London). http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jan/14/onerepublic-waking-up-cd-review.
- ^ Brown, August (November 16, 2009). "Album review: OneRepublic's 'Waking Up'". Los Angeles Times. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/11/album-review-onerepublics-waking-up.html. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- ^ "OneRepublic: Waking Up | Music Review". Slant Magazine. http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/onerepublic-waking-up/1914. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "Album Review: OneRepublic 'Waking Up'". Sputnikmusic. http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=33503. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- ^ a b c d e f g h "OneRepublic - Waking Up - Music Charts". Acharts.us. http://acharts.us/album/52053. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "OneRepublic - Waking Up". ultratop.be. http://www.ultratop.be/nl/showitem.asp?interpret=OneRepublic&titel=Waking+Up&cat=a. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "OneRepublic - Waking Up". ultratop.be. http://www.ultratop.be/fr/showitem.asp?interpret=OneRepublic&titel=Waking+Up&cat=a. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ ds. "Čns Ifpi". Ifpicr.cz. http://www.ifpicr.cz/hitparada/index.php?a=titul&hitparada=14&titul=147714&sec=c85c310ee26fdbbf589eebc8f75b5a46. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ Steffen Hung. "OneRepublic - Waking Up". greekcharts.com. http://greekcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=OneRepublic&titel=Waking+Up&cat=a. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "FIMI - Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana - Classifiche". Fimi.it. http://www.fimi.it/classifiche_result_artisti.php?anno=%202010&mese=01&id=295. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ 
- ^ "Best of 2010 - Billboard Top 200". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. http://www.billboard.com/#/charts-year-end/top-billboard-200?year=2010. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- ^ "IFPI Austria - Verband der Ã–sterreichischen Musikwirtschaft" (in (German)). Ifpi.at. http://www.ifpi.at/?section=goldplatin. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (OneRepublic; 'Waking Up')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. http://www.musikindustrie.de/gold_platin_datenbank/?action=suche&strTitel=Waking+Up&strInterpret=OneRepublic&strTtArt=alle&strAwards=checked.
- ^ "Recording Industry Association of America". RIAA. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?content_selector=gold-platinum-searchable-database#. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "Universal Music Hungary". Universalmusic.hu. 2009-11-16. http://www.universalmusic.hu/index.php?page=album&id=30323533165. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "Waking Up: OneRepublic: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002W3J21G. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "Universal Music Polska". Universalmusic.pl. http://www.universalmusic.pl/index.php?atype=item&view=1&id=6174. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "One Republic - Waking Up - CD di One Republic - - disco di One Republic - IBS". Ibs.it. 2012-04-23. http://www.ibs.it/disco/0602527309323/one-republic/waking-up.html. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "One Republic - Waking Up - CD di One Republic - - disco di One Republic - IBS". Ibs.it. 2012-04-23. http://www.ibs.it/disco/0602527311982/one-republic/waking-up-deluxe-edition-.html. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- ^ "Cd: Waking Up - Onerepublic - Rock - Pop Rock". Livrariacultura.com.br. http://www.livrariacultura.com.br/scripts/musica/resenha/resenha.asp?nitem=15008520&sid=01171234512125440525305167&k5=2E1C781C&uid=. Retrieved 2012-05-14.