"Waiting in Vain" is a song written by reggae musician Bob Marley and recorded by Bob Marley & The Wailers, for his 1977 album Exodus. Released as a single, it hit number twenty-seven in the UK Singles Chart. As noted on the compilation album Rebel Music and on Exodus (Deluxe Edition), "Roots" is the b-side of "Waiting in Vain".
Annie Lennox version
"Waiting in Vain" was covered by Annie Lennox for her album Medusa. It was released as the album's third single in 1995 and reached number thirty-one on the UK singles chart. Lennox's version was used in the 2001 film Serendipity and the 2002 film Changing Lanes.
- "Waiting in Vain (single mix)" – 4:07
- "No More "I Love You's" (Junior Vasquez mix)" – 7:32
- "Waiting in Vain (Strong Body mix)" – 5:27
- "Medusa Interview excerpts" – 5:01
In 1992, guitarist Lee Ritenour covered the song with singer Maxi Priest on Ritenour's album Wes Bound.
- Jamaican singer Leroy Smart recorded a single in 1977 on Hit Bound label.
- The track was also covered as part of a Cocoa Tea song of the same name.
- Brazilian musician and former Minister of Culture Gilberto Gil covered the song for his 2002 album Kaya N'Gan Daya.
- Filipino rock band Bamboo covered the song for their 2003 album As The Music Plays the Band.
- "Waiting in Vain" was covered by English guitar virtuoso Jon Gomm on his 2003 debut Hypertension.
- Jay Sean on his 2011 mixtape The Mistress.
- Somi on her 2011 album Live at Jazz Standard.