WRPN-FM

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article

WRPN-FM
City of licenseRipon, Wisconsin, U.S.
Branding"The Edge"
Frequency90.1 MHz
First air date1961
FormatStudent radio
ERP250 watts
HAAT44 meters
ClassA
Facility ID65450
Transmitter coordinates43°50′37″N 88°50′31″W / 43.84361°N 88.84194°W / 43.84361; -88.84194
Callsign meaningRiPoN
Former callsignsNone
AffiliationsNone
OwnerRipon College
(Ripon College Board of Trustees)
Sister stationsNone
WebcastListen Live
WebsiteWRPN Online
 
Jump to: navigation, search
WRPN-FM
City of licenseRipon, Wisconsin, U.S.
Branding"The Edge"
Frequency90.1 MHz
First air date1961
FormatStudent radio
ERP250 watts
HAAT44 meters
ClassA
Facility ID65450
Transmitter coordinates43°50′37″N 88°50′31″W / 43.84361°N 88.84194°W / 43.84361; -88.84194
Callsign meaningRiPoN
Former callsignsNone
AffiliationsNone
OwnerRipon College
(Ripon College Board of Trustees)
Sister stationsNone
WebcastListen Live
WebsiteWRPN Online

WRPN-FM (90.1 FM), "The Edge" is a student-run College radio station at Ripon College. Licensed to Ripon, Wisconsin, the station is owned by Ripon College.

WRPN-FM traces its roots to efforts spearheaded by speech instructor Howard Hanson. According to a profile of the radio station in Ripon Magazine, Hanson presented a prospectus for a student-run radio station to college administrators in 1955. He wanted an organization that would serve "as a public voice of the College and as a student-training laboratory." He wanted a "truly educational station," one that did not compete program-wise with the commercial radio stations serving the Ripon area.

By the fall of 1956, a group of students had secured equipment and expertise in AM closed carrier circuit system broadcasting to begin to offer programming on 570 on the AM dial. The service was offered through phone lines. It was only available in the dorms. The studio was located in what was known as Tracey House on the corner of Thorne and Ransom Streets.

The experiment had its up and downs, with a letter authored by station management in the fall of 1960 and distributed to students, faculty, and administrators declaring the station dead due to technical difficulties and staffing issues. Months later, a group of students had revived the organization and the station was back on the air.

The FCC granted the College's request for a low-powered educational FM radio station in November 1960. WRPN-FM signed on in February 1961, thanks to donated equipment.

By this time, the station's studios had moved to Middle Hall (now known as Smith Hall). A 110-foot tower was constructed behind the building. The station operated at 10-watt power. The FM signal allowed the entire campus and Ripon community to hear the station's programming.

In the nearly five decades since the FM sign-on, the station has had highs and lows. The highs included 24-hour music and entertainment programming, the expansion of live coverage of sports and campus events, and several awards for broadcast excellence. The lows included unreliable technology, wanning student interest, and battles with administrators over control and programming.

The station's studios are now located on the top level of the Harwood Memorial Union. The station's tower is now located outside that building.

A 2004 article in the Ripon College Days stated the FCC had granted approval for the station to increase its operating to power to 550 watts.

External links