Victoria Coach Station was opened at its present site in Buckingham Palace Road, London, in 1932, by London Coastal Coaches, an association of coach operators. The building is in a distinctive Art Deco style, the architects for which were Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. The building was listed at Grade II by English Heritage on 1 September 2014.
It was originally managed by London Coastal Coaches, a consortium of coach operators. In 1970 it became a subsidiary of the National Bus Company.
Rough sleepers masquerade as travellers waiting for a coach, so they can sleep indoors.
Travellers are offered help with their bags by luggage porters. They are licensed, but not employed by Transport for London. All of their income is in the form of tips from travellers.
Victoria Coach Station has separate arrival and departure terminals which are located on opposite sides of Elizabeth Street. The main departures building includes food outlets, shops, left luggage facilities and ticketing. Services are operated by National Express, Eurolines, iDBUS, Megabus and Oxford Express.
There are 21 departure gates with the site covering 3.3 acres (13,000 m2). Ten million passengers use the station annually with services to 1,200 destinations in the UK and 400 in mainland Europe.
The freeholder of the site, the Grosvenor Group has announced that it wishes to redevelop the site, and relocate the coach station elsewhere in the capital.