From the late 1870s to the 1920s, the
Vanderbilt family employed some of the country's best Beaux-Arts architects and decorators to build an unequalled string of New York townhouses and East Coast palaces in the United States. Many of the Vanderbilt houses are now National Historic Landmarks. Some photographs of Vanderbilt's residences in New York are included in the Photographic series of American Architecture by Albert Levy (1870s).
The list of architects employed by the Vanderbilts is a "who's who" of the New York-based firms that embodied the
syncretic (often dismissed as "eclectic") styles of the American Renaissance: Richard Morris Hunt, George B. Post, McKim, Mead, and White, Charles B. Atwood, Carrère and Hastings, Warren and Wetmore, Horace Trumbauer, John Russell Pope and Addison Mizner were all employed by the descendants of Cornelius Vanderbilt, who built only very modestly himself. Houses [edit ]
Cornelius Vanderbilt II house, largest home ever in New York City.
"Petit Chateau", the William K. Vanderbilt mansion
The Vanderbilt Triple Palace on 5th Avenue
Elm Court, the Lenox cottage of Emily Thorn Vanderbilt Sloane
Rough Point, the Newport cottage of Frederick Vanderbilt
William Kissam Vanderbilt (1849–1920) had three houses designed by Richard Morris Hunt. " Petit Chateau", the New York City townhouse at 660 Fifth Avenue, built in 1882 with details drawn in part from the late-Gothic Hôtel de Cluny, Paris. Proved an influential example for other Gilded Age mansions, but was demolished in 1926. "Idle Hour" country estate in Oakdale, Long Island, New York was built in 1878–79 and destroyed by fire in 1899. A new "Idle Hour", designed by Hunt's son Richard Howland Hunt, was built on the same property from 1900-01 of brick and marble in the English Country Style and is now part of the Dowling College Campus. [1 ] " Marble House" summer home in Newport, Rhode Island, in 1888–92. [2 ] Emily Thorn Vanderbilt (1852–1946), (Wife of William Douglas Sloane) Florence Adele Vanderbilt Twombly (Mrs. Hamilton Twombly) (1854–1952) Townhouse at 684 Fifth Avenue, New York (1883). Designed by John B. Snook, who also designed her sister Lila Webb's townhouse next door. Demolished. [3 ] "Florham" in Convent Station, New Jersey, in 1894–97. Designed by McKim, Mead and White as a summer estate, it is now used for classrooms, faculty offices, and administration at Fairleigh Dickinson University  " Vinland" in Newport, Rhode Island. Renovated by Ogden Codman, Jr.. Now part of the Salve Regina University Townhouse, her second, a 70-room house at 1 East 71st Street, New York. Designed by Whitney Warren. Demolished. References [edit ] External links [edit ]