The term uptown often refers to a specific portion of a city in contrast with the local downtown area or in British English the main area of the city center. The term is used mainly in the United States and Canada. The uptown neighborhood or neighborhoods, separated from the city's lower or central business district, may often be residential, sometimes with particularly upscale or fashionable connotation. Such uptown areas may not necessarily be located to the north of or at a higher elevation than the downtown, regardless of designation.
In addition, the name Uptown has multiple meanings:
Neighborhoods or regions in several cities
- Uptown, Albuquerque, New Mexico, entertainment district east of Downtown and Midtown.
- Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina — Here, "Uptown" is the standard term for the city's central business district.
- Uptown Cincinnati, Ohio, area surrounding the University of Cincinnati
- Uptown, Chicago, Illinois
- Uptown Dallas, Texas
- Uptown (Harrisburg), Pennsylvania
- Uptown, Hartford, Connecticut
- Uptown Havertown, Pennsylvania, the area surrounding Brookline Boulevard
- Uptown Houston, Texas
- Uptown Kingston, New York
- Uptown Lexington, Kentucky
- Uptown, Manhattan, New York
- Uptown, Memphis, Tennessee
- Uptown, Minneapolis, Minnesota, area surrounding Hennepin Avenue at Lake Street
- Uptown New Orleans, Louisiana
- Uptown Oakland, California
- Uptown, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, also known as The Bluff
- Uptown, Seattle, Washington, officially known as Lower Queen Anne, Seattle
- Uptown Tampa, Florida
- Northwest, Washington, D.C., colloquially known as Uptown
- Buckhead, Atlanta, Georgia, North of Midtown and Downtown
- Uptown Toronto, Ontario
- Uptown Waterloo, Ontario (More akin to a downtown area, but named "Uptown" by analogy with Downtown Kitchener, Ontario, located a short distance south.)
- Uptown, Montreal, Quebec (see Côte-des-Neiges)
- Uptown, Vancouver, British Columbia (see Mount Pleasant, Vancouver)
- Uptown, Saint John, New Brunswick, is used to refer to the city center. It has no downtown.
- Uptown, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island is used by residents of the original city to refer to the commercial downtown area. For many, it is a slight uphill walk.
- Uptown (group), Korean hip hop and R&B group
- "Uptown" (song), 1980 song by Prince
- "Uptown Girl", song written and performed by musician Billy Joel
- Uptown Girls (group), Dallas-based dance music group, active in the 1980s
- Uptown Records, former record label
- "Up Town", a 1960 song by Roy Orbison
- "Uptown", a song recorded by The Crystals, on the 1962 album, Twist Uptown
- "Uptown", a song by artist Drake, on the 2009 EP, So Far Gone
- Uptown (film), 2009 American independent drama film written and directed by Brian Ackley
- Uptown (newspaper), alternative weekly in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada