From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
|University of Wyoming|
|Endowment||$337.5 million (2012)|
|President||Dr. Dick McGinity|
|Colors||Brown and Gold|
|Nickname||Cowboys and Cowgirls|
|Mascot||Cowboy Joe and Pistol Pete|
|University of Wyoming|
|Endowment||$337.5 million (2012)|
|President||Dr. Dick McGinity|
|Colors||Brown and Gold|
|Nickname||Cowboys and Cowgirls|
|Mascot||Cowboy Joe and Pistol Pete|
The University of Wyoming is a land-grant university located in Laramie, Wyoming, situated on Wyoming's high Laramie Plains, at an elevation of 7,200 feet (2194 m), between the Laramie and Snowy Range mountains. It is known as UW (often pronounced "U-Dub") to people close to the university. The university was founded in March 1886, four years before the territory was admitted as the 44th state, and opened in September 1887. The University of Wyoming is unusual in that its location within the state is written into the state's constitution. The university also offers outreach education in communities throughout Wyoming and online.
The University of Wyoming consists of seven colleges: agriculture and natural resources, arts and sciences, business, education, engineering and applied sciences, health sciences, and law. The university offers over 190 undergraduate, graduate and certificate programs including Doctor of Pharmacy and Juris Doctor. In the top 15 percent of the country's four-year colleges, the University of Wyoming was featured in the 2011 Princeton Review Best 373 Colleges.
In addition to on-campus classes in Laramie, the university’s Outreach School offers more than 30 degree, certificate and endorsement programs to distance learners across the state and beyond. These programs are delivered through the use of technology, such as online and video conferencing classes. The Outreach School has nine regional centers across the state, with several on community college campuses, to give Wyoming residents access to a university education without relocating to Laramie.
The university is a hub of cultural events in Laramie. It offers a variety of performing arts events, ranging from rock concerts in the Arena Auditorium to classical concerts and performances by the university's theater and dance department at the Fine Arts Center. Wyoming also boasts a competitive athletic program, one which annually challenges for conference and national championships. University of Wyoming offers many extracurricular activities, including over 200 student clubs and organizations that include a wide range of social, professional and academic groups. The Wyoming Union is the hub of the campus, with the University Store and numerous student facilities.
On September 27, 1886, the cornerstone of Old Main was laid marking the beginning of the University of Wyoming. The stone is inscribed Domi Habuit Unde Disceret, which is often translated, "He need not go away from home for instruction." The following year, the first class of 42 men and women began their college education. For the next decade the building housed classrooms, a library and administration offices.
The style of Old Main set a precedent for all future University buildings. The main stone used is rough-cut sandstone from a quarry east of Laramie and the trim stone is smooth Potsdam Sandstone from a quarry near Rawlins. Old Main was designed to be a monumental structure and was designed to be a symmetrical building with a prominent central spire as the focal point. The building was also designed to reflect the character of Wyoming and the rough stone and smooth trim represented the progressing frontier. The design of Old Main had a lasting effect on university structures, which is most visible by the use of sandstone façade on nearly every building.
In 1916, the central spire was removed due to structural concerns and the auditorium was reduced in size during a 1936 renovation. In 1949, the building was thoroughly remodeled—the auditorium and exterior stairs were completely removed. It also became officially known as Old Main and the name was carved above the east entrance. Currently, Old Main houses university administration including the President's Office and the board room where the Trustees often meet.
|“||In order to preserve the natural and open beauty of that portion of the University of Wyoming campus commonly known and referred to as "Prexy's Pasture", no structures, other than ornamental improvements, or buildings of any kind or type shall be located or constructed upon [that] portion of the campus...||”|
—Title 21 Chapter 17 Article 4 Part B, Wyoming Legislature Statute
Prexy's Pasture is a large grassy area located within a ring of classroom and administrative buildings and serves as the center mall of the campus. The name is attributed to an obscure rule that the university president, or "prexy", is given exclusive use of the area for livestock grazing. During the administration of Arthur G. Crane the name, "Prexy's Pasture", was formally declared. Prexy's, as it is often called today, is also known for the unique pattern formed by concrete pathways that students and faculty use to cross the pasture.
When the University of Wyoming first opened its doors in 1887, Prexy's Pasture was nothing more than an actual pasture covered in native grasses. Over time, as the needs of the university has changed, the area has been altered and redesigned. The original design was established in 1924 and in 1949 the area was landscaped with Blue Spruce and Mugo Pine. In February 1965, the Board of Trustees decided to construct the new science center on the west side of Prexy's Pasture. The board president, Harold F. Newton, who was concerned about the location, leaked the decision to the local press. The uproar that followed caused the board to decide on a new location for the science center and resulted in a new state statute making it necessary for any new structure built on the pasture to receive legislative approval. The statue known as "University of Wyoming Family," was installed in 1983 by UW Professor Robert Russin in anticipation of the centennial celebration.
In the summer of 2004, Prexy's Pasture was remodeled as the first step in a two part redesign project. This step involved removing the asphalt roadway that circled the pasture and replacing it with concrete walkways to make the area a walking campus, as recommended by the 1966 and 1991 Campus Master Plans. The grassy area was also increased and new lampposts were installed for better lighting. The second phase of the project involves the construction of a plaza at each corner featuring trees and rocks styled after the rocky outcrops of nearby Vedauwoo. Two of the plazas, Simpson Plaza and Cheney Plaza, have been completed.
Currently, several exhibits from the exhibition Sculpture: A Wyoming Invitational are featured along the exterior walkway. Also, outside of its primary use by students travelling to and from classes or socializing, the area is also host to campus barbecues and fall welcome events.
In September 1937, with the approval of the Wyoming State Legislature, President Arthur G. Crane obtained a Public Works Administration loan during the Great Depression for $149,250 from the President Franklin D. Roosevelt administration to be used for construction of a student union. On March 3, 1938, ground was broken and construction began on what would become the Wyoming Union. Many students were involved in the construction and twenty-five students were trained to be stone-cutters.
From the beginning, the Wyoming Union housed an assortment of student needs and activities. The formal and informal social needs were met by including a ballroom, banquet room, lounges, and game rooms. Offices for student government, committees, organizations, and publications were included to help meet the political and organizational needs of the student population. Lastly, a student store, post office, and bookstore completed the design.
The original design has been modified several times to accommodate changing needs and a growing student population. The first addition was completed in January 1960. This section, added to the northeast of the original structure, expanded the ballroom, created a lounge area and senate chambers adjacent to the ballroom, created the main lobby and breezeway, and provided a larger food area called The Gardens. In 1973, an addition to the north was completed to create a food court, more space for the bookstore, and additional offices. Also, parts of the original building were remodeled to create the Campus Activities Center, an art gallery, and a ticket outlet. In 2000, the Wyoming Union underwent extensive renovation. The $12 million project moved the food court to the main level, expanded the bookstore to the lower level, and revitalized the look and feel of the interior.
The original library at the University of Wyoming consisted of three hundred books and was located in Old Main. In 1923, the library was moved to the new Aven Nelson Memorial Building. With the 1950s came a larger student population and a greater push for America to excel academically. These factors contributed to the decision by the board of trustees that it was necessary to construct a new library. However, the 1951 state legislature rejected the funding request.
William Robertson Coe, a financier and philanthropist, came to the aid of president Humphrey in 1954 by contributing $750,000 in securities to the university. The trustees called the grant, "one of the most outstanding contributions that has ever been made to the perpetuation of the American heritage" and ensured Coe that the building would be "appropriately named." The state legislature, in 1955, matched the Coe grant for an overall amount of $1.5 million.
Laramie architects Eliot and Clinton Hitchcock, whose father had designed Aven Nelson, teamed up with the Porter and Porter firm in Cheyenne to design the new library. Their modular design was popular at the time and intended to make the space very functional. The layout provided room for over five hundred thousand books and seating for at least nine hundred students. In May 1956, one year after the death of Coe, ground was broken and construction began on the building. The William Robertson Coe library was finished in time for the Fall 1958 semester. In 1979 the stack tower was completed. This structure, designed by Kellogg and Kellogg of Cheyenne and Rock Springs, almost doubled the shelf space of the original Coe Library.
The most recent renovation of the library was completed in the fall of 2009 and officially dedicated on November 19, 2009. The new wing, referred to as Coe East, was designed by Hinthorne Mott Architects and adds 94,500 square feet (8,780 m2) to the library. The addition was part of a larger, $50 million project to modernize the library by integrating technology and information. The renovation created an additional 20 group study rooms, space for 180 computer terminals and features art by James Surls.
The Classroom Building, dedicated in 1971 at a cost of $1.75 million, is designed to be a general purpose building for the university. The placement and unique design, by the local architects W. Eliot and Clinton A. Hitchcock, makes it the focal point of the George Duke Humphrey Science Center. The building also contains four interior mosaics, designed by UW art professors James Boyle, Joseph Deaderick, Richard Evans and Victor Flach, that represent the quadrant of Wyoming they face. Each mosaic is over 2,200 square feet (200 m2)
In 2007, after a two-year $14.7 million renovation project, the classroom building reopened. The goal of the renovation was to incorporate new technology and redesign the seating to better meet the needs of students who carry laptops and backpacks. The building was also retrofitted with air conditioning. The unique characteristics of the original building, such as the circular design and mosaics, were maintained.
The University has six residence halls and four apartment complexes. Four of the residence halls (Orr, White, Downey, and McIntyre) are connected together via the Washakie Dining Center, which contains the main dining hall and other student services. These residence halls, along with nearby Hill Hall, house primarily freshmen. All incoming freshmen are expected to live in the residence halls during their first year, with some exceptions. Crane Hall, named after Arthur G. Crane, is reserved for students of sophomore standing and above and is configured with almost all single occupancy rooms.
Each of the residence halls is named after an influential administrator or faculty member. Downey Hall is an eight-story tall dormitory located southwest of the Washakie Dining Center and is named after Dr. June Etta Downey. Located west of the Washakie Dining Center is the twelve-story dormitory known as White Hall, which is named after Dr. Laura Amanda White. At twelve stories and 200 feet, White Hall is the tallest building in the state of Wyoming. McIntyre Hall named after Dr. Clara Frances McIntyre, is located east of the Washakie Dining Center. This twelve-story tall building underwent extensive renovations in 2004 and 2005. Just northeast of McIntyre Hall is the eight-story Orr Hall, named after Dr. Harriet Knight Orr. From 2005 to 2006, Orr Hall also underwent extensive renovations to modernize the living space.
The University Apartments are located east of War Memorial Stadium. These apartments are available on a first-come, first-served basis to all UW students above freshman standing. Currently there are apartment units in a variety of layouts in the River Village, Bison Run, Landmark and Spanish Walk apartment complexes.
The University of Wyoming is home to several facilities that allow the public to view unique collections. The American Heritage Center is an extensive repository of artifacts and manuscripts. It is one of the largest non-governmental archives west of the Mississippi River. Officially established in 1945, it now contains nearly 70,000 cubic feet (2,000 m3) of historic documents and artifacts. It is also home to the Toppan Library, which contains 55,000 rare books. The American Heritage Center has also been a leader in digitizing historic texts, photos and recordings.
The Geological Museum houses a collection of fossils and minerals with special focus on the history of Wyoming. When the University of Wyoming was founded, the museum was essentially a small personal collection of the professor J.D. Conley. In 1893, Wilbur Knight, who was hired as a professor of mining and geology, took over as the museum curator. In 1902, the museum was moved to the Hall of Science and continued to expand. By the time the collection was moved to its current location in 1956, Knight's son Samuel Howell Knight had made the Geology Department famous around the country. S.H Knight acquired many of the exhibits and paintings that are still on display, including the copper Tyrannosaurus at the entrance, the initial mounting of the Apatosaurus skeleton centerpiece and the terracotta Stegosaurus and Triceratops panels. One of the most famous exhibits at the museum is the Allosaurus; known as, Big Al, it was featured in the BBC documentary, The Ballad of Big Al. The University of Wyoming Geological Museum has also received coverage from National Geographic, CNN, Earth Magazine, Walter Cronkite, NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw and has been shown on many dinosaur programs. On June 30, 2009, the museum was closed to meet state budget cuts. Following this controversial decision, an endowment fund was set up to support the museum. After substantial infrastructure upgrades, the museum reopened to the public on January 12, 2013, and resumed its regular hours with free admission. Some exhibits, like the Late Cretaceous display, have been completed, while others are still under renovation.
The University of Wyoming will welcome prospective students, current students, alumni, and friends through the Marian H. Rochelle Gateway Center, a dramatic state-of-the-art facility funded with private philanthropy. The 67,000-square-foot Gateway Center will be the place for prospective students and families to enter the university, for gatherings of current students, for alumni to arrive and celebrate the history and traditions of their alma mater, for friends to participate in the university’s programs, and for employers to interview and recruit UW students. It is home to the McMurry Foundation UW Legacy Hall, a space dedicated to telling the history of the university through static and digital exhibits and displays. The project is a partnership among the UW Foundation, UW Alumni Association, Center for Advising and Career Services, and Admissions and will contain office and collaborative space for these units as they support and promote the university. The facility will open in the fall of 2014.
|U.S. News & World Report||156|
Fall Freshman Statistics
|*(out of 1600)|
The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources offers state-of-the-art teaching, research labs and field environments, and an indoor livestock teaching arena. Faculty members hold seven patents in genetics. With nearly 30 courses in environmental studies and natural resources, the college provides hands-on experience and enhanced research opportunities.
The College of Arts & Sciences offers more than 50 majors, 60 minors, and seven interdisciplinary programs. Geology, Archaeology, Botany, and Geography programs take advantage of Wyoming’s unique environment, while International Studies, Sociology, and Political Science provide global context. Emphasizing field study, internships, and individual research projects, A&S enhances global perspectives through exchange programs and study abroad.
In 2010, the university announced that it had received its largest estate gift ever, from the artist Neltje Doubleday Kings, known as Neltje, consisting of her ranches, art collection, and other holdings. When realized, the gift will create the UW Neltje Center for the Visual and Literary Arts, combining programs of three of the university's departments: creative writing, arts, and the art museum.
The College of Business is fully accredited at the undergraduate and graduate levels by AACSB, a level reached only by 15% of all business schools worldwide. Seniors consistently score in the top 10% on nationwide business achievement tests, and more than 100 business scholarships are awarded annually. Internationally recognized faculty provide hands-on education in state-of-the-art facilities.
The College of Education comprises four departments: Professional Studies, Educational Studies, Elementary and Early Childhood Education, and Secondary Education. Both certificates and programs that lead to initial certification or endorsements by Wyoming's Professional Teaching Standards Board (PTSB) are offered for pre-service teachers. Partnerships with Wyoming public schools provide a structure for students to gain hands-on experience in real classrooms, and the on-campus, K-9 lab school provides a model of teaching and learning. Students gain experience with cutting-edge technologies for integration in public school classrooms. Additionally the Counselor Education Training Clinic within the college offers free and confidential counseling services for individuals, couples, families, adults, adolescents, and children. Services are provided by advanced graduate students under qualified clinical supervision.
Offering 12 programs of study, the College of Engineering and Applied Science provides also undergraduate research opportunities, an International Engineering Program, and Earth Systems Science. Students are provided the opportunity to study and work abroad, addressing pressing issues of global environmental change. UW engineering seniors consistently score above the national average on their first licensing exam. As of September 2012, the Energy Systems Engineering program became the first ABET Accredited Program of its type in the United States.
The College of Health Science offers programs in pharmacy, nursing, social work, kinesiology, communication disorders, and dental hygiene, and students have the opportunity to receive preprofessional advising. Students study and learn in interdisciplinary teams with state-of-the-art technology, including nursing students who are able to study and learn in a simulated hospital ward.
The College of Law was founded in 1920, and has been accredited by the American Bar Association since 1923. Its location in the Rocky Mountain West has provided a direct connection to regional and global issues in environmental, natural resources, and energy law. The college boasts many state and federal judges, governors, senators and a former United States Ambassador to Ireland, and offers five clinical programs providing students with hands-on experience in the Brimmer Legal Education Center.
The University of Wyoming's Haub School of Environment and Natural Resources (ENR) advances the understanding and resolution of complex environment and natural resource challenges through education, dissemination of information, and collaborative decision making support. The Haub School academic programs emphasize interdisciplinary learning, providing students with applied learning experiences that prepare them to consider multiple perspectives to address natural resource issues. The Ruckelshaus Institute produces reports and convenes events on natural resource issues. It is also a leader in collaborative process in environmental decision-making, and offers training courses in negotiation, facilitation, and media relations for natural resource professionals. The Biodiversity Institute provides research, education, and outreach to support biodiversity conservation and management.|
The Enhanced Oil Recovery Institute (EORI) was formed as a center of excellence and a depository of knowledge regarding the implementation of Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) techniques in Wyoming. The mission of EORI is to promote the recovery of Wyoming’s stranded oil. The Institute exists to assist Wyoming operators with their EOR projects by applying existing technologies and creating new knowledge when necessary, maximize the economic potential and minimize the risk of EOR projects, facilitate the testing, evaluation, and documentation of EOR recommendations in the real world settings, and transfer the information to Wyoming producers by forming partnerships and conducting workshops and conferences.
The School of Energy Resources (SER) at the University of Wyoming was created in 2006 to enhance the university's energy-related education, research, and outreach. SER showcases the many energy research projects at UW and bridges academics and industry.
The Associated Students of the University of Wyoming (ASUW) is the governing body at the University of Wyoming. ASUW is funded through student fees, and provides a wide variety of services that both directly and indirectly benefit the students of the University of Wyoming.
The university has established a Campus Sustainability Committee (CSC) to advance environmental and economic sustainability on campus. The CSC advises all departments and program on sustainability matters and oversees the university’s efforts and progress towards reducing its carbon footprint. All new campus buildings are required to meet LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver certification of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). UW President Tom Buchanan signed the American College & University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) in 2007. For their advances on university sustainability, UW scored a "C" on the College Sustainability Report Card of the Sustainable Endowments Institute.
The goal of Friday Night Fever (FNF) is to offer free and unique alcohol-free late-night entertainment for University of Wyoming students. The events vary by the week and are diverse to include all students. Past events sponsored by FNF include comedians, magicians, hypnotists, the UW Idol Competition, Salsa Dancing, Casino Night, and inflatable games. The organization also regularly shows first-run movies in the Wyoming Union every Friday night at 6:30 pm, 9:00 pm, and 11:30 pm
Nearly all fraternities and sororities are located on campus in private or university owned houses. Houses are located on Fraternity and Sorority Row. Most of the Fraternities and the Honors House line the northern (Fraternity) road and Sororities and two fraternities line the southern (Sorority) road. The two roads are separated by a large park and playing field (Fraternity Mall) This area is considered one of the last remaining true Fraternity rows.
The following fraternities are currently active at UW:Template:Http://www.uwyo.edu/greeklife/index.html
|Fraternity Name||Fraternity Symbol|
|Pi Kappa Alpha||ΠΚΑ|
|Pi Kappa Phi||ΠKΦ|
|Sigma Phi Epsilon||ΣΦΕ|
|Sigma Alpha Epsilon||ΣΑΕ|
|Lambda Chi Alpha||ΛΧΑ|
|Sorority Name||Sorority Symbol|
|Delta Delta Delta||ΔΔΔ|
|Kappa Kappa Gamma||ΚΚΓ|
The Outdoor Program (OP), located in the south lobby of Half Acre, offers many activities for the outdoor enthusiasts. The program was established in 1997 by the University of Wyoming to provide a wide variety of educational training and to equip students to pursue adventures on their own. Through the OP, students can go on a variety of single, multiday, and week-long excursions. A few examples of the trips offered are rock climbing, white water rafting, ice climbing, snowshoeing, backcountry skiing, and mountain biking. Some of the educational programs offered are avalanche training, route setting, bike maintenance, and lead climbing courses. The Outdoor Program is subsidized by student fees and participants only pay for the trip expenditures. Equipment such as snowshoes, mountain bikes, camping supplies, and backpacking gear are available for rent. The OP also offers several events throughout the year such as rock climbing competitions at the Half Acre gym and the Banff Film Festival "World Tour".
Founded in the fall of 2000, the goal of SafeRide is to prevent drinking and driving by offering on call service Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Since then, the service has transported over 160,000 passengers. Each SafeRide vehicle is clearly marked by an illuminated sign. The driver of the vehicle is accompanied by a SafeRide SideKick to assist with the responsibilities of transporting the passengers and communicating with the dispatcher. On January 23, 2009 the 150,000th rider was presented with a US $1000 scholarship.
Transit & Parking Services monitors parking lots and provides transportation to ease access to the University of Wyoming campus. The transit service consists of different systems that operate independently. Students are no longer required to present their ID card to board the shuttles. The services offered by transit and parking, are now available to everyone at no charge.
The various routes offered are as follows:
Union Express – Route provides transport from Union Express Lot, located along Willett Dr. and 30th St., to McWhinnie Hall and the Wyoming Union every five to seven minutes. Route times are from 7:00 am to 6:30 pm After 6:30 pm., the Classroom Express services Union Express stops.
South Express – Route provides transport from South Express Lot, located at 15th St. and Spring Creek Rd., to McWhinnie Hall and the Wyoming Union every five to seven minutes. Route times are from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. After 6:30 p.m., Resident Park ‘N Ride services South Express stops upon request.
Classroom Express – Route provides transport from Union Express Lot to Classroom Building every 10 minutes. Route also stops at Downey Hall and the Arena Auditorium. Route times are from 6:30 am to 10:30 pm. After 6:10 pm., route loop time extends to 20 minutes and Wyoming Union stop is added.
Campus Shuttle – Routes services 10 stops around campus perimeter from 6:56 am to 6:21 pm, including Spanish Walk and Lodgepole Apartment Complexes and the Classroom Building. Route is serviced every 30 minutes.
Resident Park ‘N Ride – Route runs from the P lot, located along 30th St. between Armory and Willett, to the Crane/Hill Cafetria and then the Beta House along Willett Dr. approximately every 10 minutes. Service runs from 1:30 pm to 10:00 p.m.
Note: All of the routes mentioned above only operate on university business days. Detailed maps and schedules for all routes may be obtained from the following locations: Transit and Parking Service, Union Copy Center, Campus Express ID Office, University Bookstore, and Wyoming Union. For more information call 307-766-9800.
Paratransit Services - The University of Wyoming offers a separate transit service for passengers unable to ride the fixed routes due to a disability. Eligibility is determined through the Transpark office.
Transit & Parking Services also operates the Night Owl Express, which provides on-call service from 1:000 pm to 6:00 am on weekdays and 24 hours a day on the weekends. The service can be requested by pressing the black buttons at one of the shelters on campus.
University of Wyoming athletics teams are named the Cowboys and Cowgirls. Their official song is "Ragtime Cowboy Joe". Wyoming competes at the NCAA Division I level (FBS-Football Bowl Subdivision for football) as a member of the Mountain West Conference. UW offers 17 NCAA-sanctioned sports – nine women’s sports and eight men’s sports. Wyoming’s nine NCAA sports for women are: basketball; cross country; golf; soccer; swimming and diving; tennis; indoor track & field; outdoor track and field; and volleyball. UW’s eight NCAA sports for men are: basketball; cross country; football; golf; swimming and diving; indoor track and field; outdoor track and field; and wrestling.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Wyoming.|
|Wikisource has the text of a 1921 Collier's Encyclopedia article about University of Wyoming.|