Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute (1890–1894) North Texas Normal College (1894–1901) North Texas State Normal College (1901–1923) North Texas State Teachers College (1923–1949) North Texas State College (1949–1961) North Texas State University (1961–1988)
Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute (1890–1894) North Texas Normal College (1894–1901) North Texas State Normal College (1901–1923) North Texas State Teachers College (1923–1949) North Texas State College (1949–1961) North Texas State University (1961–1988)
The University of North Texas (UNT), based in Denton, is a public institution of higher education and research committed to a wide array of sciences, engineering fields, liberal arts, fine arts, performing arts, humanities, public policy, and graduate professional education. Ten colleges, two schools, an early admissions math and science academy for exceptional high-school-age students from across the state, and a library system comprise the university. Its research is driven by nearly 50 doctoral degree programs. During the 2012–2013 school year, the university had a budget of $870 million, of which $30 million was allocated for research. North Texas was founded as a nonsectarian, coeducational, private teachers college in 1890; and, as a collaborative development in response to enrollment growth and public demand, its trustees ceded control to the state in 1899. In 1901, North Texas was formally adopted by the State.
In 2004, North Texas opened UNT Discovery Park, a 290-acre property in Denton, north of the main campus with technology incubator facilities dedicated to science and engineering. In 2011, the College of Visual Arts and Design launched the Design Research Center in downtown Dallas in the Design District as a laboratory dedicated to design-driven solutions in a community of real-world professionals.
In 1985 the Governor's Select Committee on Higher Education recommended that North Texas be designated an "emerging national research university." Nine years earlier, in 1976, the Carnegie Foundation designated North Texas as a "Class 1 Doctorate-Granting Institution." And in 1988, U.S. Secretary of Education William Bennett cited UNT for its innovative approach to undergraduate education in the Classic Learning Core, an integrated liberal arts curriculum similar to those usually found only in small, private colleges. In 1992, UNT was elected to full membership in the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities. And, in 2011, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board included UNT as one of eight Emerging Research Institutions in its accountability system.
Certified enrollment as of the fall of 2012 was 35,778, the fourth largest in the state. For the 2011 academic year, the university awarded 8,608 degrees, of which 24 percent were at the graduate level. North Texas awarded 459 PhD degrees from fiscal years 2009 to 2011.
Of the thirteen constituent collegiate units, ten sponsor 97 bachelors degree programs, and the remaining three units serve other roles. The Toulouse Graduate School coordinates admissions, recruiting, and other aspects of the 101 masters and 50 doctorate degree programs offered by the ten collegiate units. The Honors College is described below. The Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science — for exceptional high-school-aged Texas scholars — awards high school diplomas that reflect two years of accelerated and enriched college classical core academics in biology, chemistry, physics, lab work, mathematics, English, history, political science, interdisciplinary seminar, and electives.
The student-faculty ratio at UNT is 23:1, and 28.8 percent of its classes consist of fewer than 20 students. The most popular majors include business, management, marketing, communication, journalism, English, multi/interdisciplinary studies, and visual and performing arts.
North Texas is an eighty-nine-year member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and is among the twenty-seven universities in Texas at Level VI, the highest level. The university is home to seventy-one research centers and institutes, and sixty-one are sponsored by colleges. Three are sponsored by the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, and seven are sponsored by the university's Office of Research and Economic Development. Three years ago, North Texas launched fifteen research clusters — collaborative, cross-disciplinary teams composed of researchers, faculty, students, multiple departments and/or colleges and outside institutions. Simultaneously, the university launched six additional strategic research areas, some of which involving frontiers in science, medicine, and hi-tech.
Science doctorates: In 2010, the National Science Foundation ranked UNT (Denton campus) 104th out of 418 academic institutions for cumulative number of science and engineering doctorates awarded. North Texas has offered non-science doctorates — doctorates of philosophy in music and doctorates in education — since 1951. But its science doctorates — doctorates of philosophy in chemistry, biology, and physics and doctorates in business management — were launched in 1964 and 1965, respectively. The College of Engineering has been offering PhD programs since its inception in 2003.
Non-science & engineering doctorates: In 2010, the National Science Foundation ranked UNT (Denton campus) 104th out of 418 academic institutions for cumulative number of non-science doctorates awarded.
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching classifies the University of North Texas as a research university with high research activity. Based on the number of non-science and engineering PhDs awarded at 2,722 national institutions of higher learning in the country, North Texas was ranked as follows:
Top 50 for awarding 3,382 non-science and engineering PhDs from 1920 to 1999
Top 50 for awarding 551 non-science and engineering PhDs from 1995 to 1999
Top 50 for awarding 1,695 non-science and engineering PhDs to people who also earned their baccalaureate from the same institution
Colleges, schools, and the academy
College of Arts & Sciences
In front of the Chemistry Building
The College of Arts & Sciences is composed of nineteen academic departments, twenty-three centers and institutes, seven interdisiplinary programs, five public services (including a psychology clinic and a speech & hearing clinic), and eight student services (of which seven are labs).
Department of English
The English department has for decades been large. In 1961, it had more English majors than any other Texas institution. In 1963, a group of English majors founded the Folk Music Club, which attracted student musicians, several of whom later went on with other performing artists to define a Texas music and cultural movement in Austin that grew to national prominence and left a legacy that endures today (re: Sixth Street, South by Southwest, Austin City Limits, Austin City Limits Music Festival). Its student members included Spencer Perskin,Steven Fromholz, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Michael Martin Murphey, and Eddie Wilson (co-founder of Armadillo World Headquarters and current owner of Threadgill's in Austin). Other notable alumni include Larry McMurtry ('58; B.A., English), a prolific fiction writer who, in 1986, won a Pulitzer Prize in Fiction for his novel, Lonesome Dove; and Dick Penner ('58; B.A., English), who co-composed, with Wade Lee Moore, Ooby Dooby, which became a rockabilly hit for North Texas alumnus Roy Orbison. Former notable faculty include Arthur McCullough Sampley, PhD (1903–1975), Texas Poet Laureate from 1951 to 1953. Annie Webb Blanton (1879–1945) — professor of English from 1901 to 1918, suffragist, and author of a series of grammar textbooks. Blanton was elected Superintendent of Texas Public Instruction in 1918, making her the first woman in Texas elected to statewide office. The 1918 July Texas primary and November general election marked the first time Texas women could exercise their right to vote.
J. Baird Callicott, PhD, is a philosopher and prolific research scholar at the frontier of environmental philosophy and ethics. He is a UNT Distinguished Research Professor and Regents Professor in the department and the Institute of Applied Sciences at the university.
Research & applied sciences
North Texas has been offering Bachelor of Science degrees for 96 years, master of science degrees (in biology, mathematics, chemistry, and economics) for 78 years, and doctor of philosophy degrees in several scientific disciplines — including chemistry, biology, and physics — for 49 years. North Texas is a sponsoring institution member (PhD-granting) of Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU), a consortium of 105 major research universities that leverage scientific research through partnerships with national laboratories, government agencies, and private industry. It has been a member of the consortium since 1954. The college sponsors twenty-four distinct research units in the form of centers, institutes, clinics, and laboratories, including:
The Institute of Applied Science, which conducts science-based interdisciplinary environmental research about the human impact on the environment and uses its findings to develop solutions. Its collaborators include biologists, ecologists, geologists, engineers, computer scientists, chemists, geographers, archeologists, policy experts, and philosophers.
Some of the research throughout the university extends outside its campuses, including an aquatic biological field station at a nearby lake. Three years ago, North Texas partnered with the Chilean Institute of Ecology and Biodiversity at the University of Magallanes, along with several U.S. and Chilean non-profit organizations, to open the world's first environmental philosophy, science and policy field station at the southern tip of Chile in Puerto Williams on Navarino Island and the Cape Horn Biosphere Reserve.
The biology department has for seventy-eight years been a research pioneer in freshwater conditions. The water research program was initiated and spearheaded by the late Joseph Kean Gwynn Silvey, PhD (1907–1989), a renowned limnologist who joined the biology faculty in 1935 and served as chairman of the department from 1952 to 1973. In 2008, a lifesize bronze statue in his honor was installed in front of the Environmental Education, Science and Technology building.
Department of Sociology
Sociology was established in 1933 by the School of Arts and Sciences as the Department of Sociology and Economics under Jack Vernon Johnson, PhD (1884–1959), who chaired it until his retirement in 1954. Hiram Johnson Friedsam, PhD (1920–2007), a prolific researcher and notable pioneer in the study of aging, chaired it from 1954 to 1972. In 1969, Economics became its own department and the Department of Sociologyadopted Anthropology, in name and mission. In 1973, the Department of Sociology and Anthropology moved from the School of Arts and Sciences to the newly created School of Community Services (which became a College and added "Public Affairs" to its name in 2005). From 1973 forward, the department launched several centers and institutes — notably the Center for Studies in Aging. More name changes followed — in the mid 1980s, the department was "Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work," in the mid 1990s, it was "Sociology and Social Work." In 1996, Sociology became its own department when Social Work merged into the Department of Rehabilitation, Social Work and Addictions. In 1997, Anthropology launched as an Institute and became a full department in 2002. In 2013, Sociology moved back to its founding constituent collegiate unit of 40 years, the College of Arts and Sciences.
The College of Business is host to five academic departments: (i) Accounting, (ii) Finance, Insurance, Real Estate & Law, (iii) Information Technology & Decision Sciences, (iv) Marketing & Logistics, and (v) Management. It offers seven undergraduate programs, fourteen MBA and master of science programs, and six PhD programs. In Fall 2011, the college moved into a new state-of-the-art Gold LEED certified $70 million facility named the Business Leadership Building. The college is accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business — accreditation for the former stretches back fifty-two years (1961) and the latter, twenty-six years (1987).
Undergraduate business education
In 2011, 4,272 students were enrolled as business majors at the undergraduate level — 15% of total undergraduates at the university.
Business Graduate School
In 2011, 718 students were working on graduate degrees — 639 at the masters level and 79 at the PhD level. 470 were in the MBA program, half of whom were full-time, 169 were in Master of Science programs for accounting, 15 were in the Business Computer Information Sciences. The MBA alumni include Michael R. Bowlin (BBA '65/MBA '67), former President and CEO of ARCO. The college is host to three research centers, one applied academics center, and one institute: (i) the Center for Decision and Information Technologies; (ii) the Institute of Petroleum Accounting; (iii) the Murphy Center for Entrepreneurship; (iv) Center for Logistics Education and Research; and (v) the Professional Development Institute.
U.S. News & World Report's2013 Best Online Education Programs ranked North Texas 20th in the nation among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs.
College of Education
The College of Education is a legacy of the university’s founding as a teachers college one hundred and twenty-three years ago. The college is organized as four departments and one center: (i) Counseling and Higher Education, (ii) Educational Psychology, (iii) Kinesiology, Health Promotion and Recreation, (iv) Teacher Education and Administration, and (v) The Kristin Farmer Autism Center. As of the Fall 2012, enrollment was 4,178 — 27% at the graduate level (609 masters, 416 doctoral, 86 post doctoral). As of the 2010–2011 school year, the college certified over 1,147 teachers, the second largest number in the state by a university. Forty-three years ago (March 1979), the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board approved renaming the "School of Education" to the "College of Education." At that time, the college was the largest in Texas and the Southwest, the largest doctoral program in the state, and the twenty-fifth largest producer teacher certificates in the United States. Its prior name, "School of Education," dates back to 1946, when the teachers college outgrew itself and reorganized as six schools and colleges. The doctor of education program is in its sixty-fourth year and the masters program is in its seventy-eighth year.
U.S. News & World Report's2013 Best Online Education Programs ranked North Texas 13th in the nation among the Best Online Graduate Education Programs. The online programs include a master's degree in educational psychology with a concentration in gifted and talented education and a new accelerated online master's degree in educational leadership.
College of Engineering
The College of Engineering, founded in 2003, inherited longstanding programs (i) Computer Science and (ii) Information Technology, and launched (iii) Computer Engineering, (iv) Electrical Engineering, (v) Engineering Technology — with majors in (a) Construction Engineering Technology, (b) Electrical Engineering Technology, (c) Manufacturing Engineering Technology, (d) Mechanical Engineering Technology, and (e) Nuclear Engineering Technology — and (vi) Materials Science and Engineering, and (vii) Mechanical and Energy Engineering. The college is host to three research centers, one of which being:
The Net-Centric Software and Systems Center (launched February 24, 2009) is a research consortium hosted by UNT and organized as a National Science Foundation Industry-University Cooperative Research Center (NSF I/UCRC). It is primarily funded by industry members (which as of 2012 consist of 16 corporations) and universities (which as of 2012 consist of 5). The focus is developing computing models for the future — models that go beyond applications with preordained fixed capabilities — models capable of services that are dynamically created, verified, and validated in the field and on the fly.
College of Information
The College of Information was created in October of 2008 by consolidating two existing academic units: (i) Learning Technologies, formerly within the College of Education, and (ii) the School of Library and Information Sciences. The School of Library and Information Services was created in 1970 as an outgrowth of its former structure as the Department of Library Services. The college sponsors three research centers, one being The Texas Center for Digital Knowledge. U.S. News & World Report's 2014 Best Grad Schools ranked three of its graduate programs as among the nation's best: Library and information Sciences (21st), Health Librarianship (6th), and School Library Media (8th)
College of Merchandising, Hospitality, and Tourism
The college is structured as a professional school with a global perspective. Enrollment exceeded 1,500 in fall 2011, a 51-percent increase over six years. The college offers bachelor’s degrees with majors in digital retailing, home furnishings merchandising, hospitality management and merchandising, and master's degrees in hospitality management, international sustainable tourism and merchandising.
The College of Music is a comprehensive institution of international rank. Its heritage dates back one hundred and twenty-three years, when North Texas was founded. The college has the largest enrollment of any music institution accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. It has been among the largest music institutions of higher learning in North America since the 1940s. The music library, founded in 1941, has one of the largest music collections in the United States, with over 300,000 volumes of books, periodicals, scores, and approximately 900,000 sound recordings. North Texas was first in the world to offer a degree in jazz studies.U.S. News and World Report ranked the jazz studies program as the best in the country every year from 1994, when it began ranking graduate jazz programs, to 1997, when it retired the category. The One O'Clock Lab Band has been nominated for 6 Grammy Awards.
College of Public Affairs and Community Service
The college is organized in six departments, one of which is the Department of Public Administration, home of the nation's first comprehensive degree program in emergency and disaster management that launched thirty years ago (1983). The degree incorporates interdisciplinary curricula from other colleges that include applied philosophy and environmental ethics. The degree is tailored for both management practitioners and researchers and is collaborative with the Federal Emergency Management Agency Region VI — based in Denton — which oversees Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. Denton became home to FEMA when its predecessor, the Office of Civil Defense and Mobilization, constructed the nation's first Federal underground defense center in 1959.
The college, formerly named "College of Community Service," adopted its current name in 2005.
The college is host to five research institutes, one being:
The College of Visual Arts and Design has the 10th largest enrollment of any art and design school accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, and the second largest of any that awards doctorates. The college name changes reflect the curricular expansion of programs. In 1992, what then had been the "Department of Art" within the College of Arts and Sciences, became "School of Visual Arts;" and in 2007, it became the "College of Visual Arts and Design." Art classes began at UNT in 1894, four years after its founding. Master's degrees were initiated in the 1930s and the first master of science degree in art was awarded in 1937. US News 2012 grad school survey ranked fine arts 62nd in the nation.
The Design Research Center (DRC) is sponsored by the Department of Design and is strategically located in downtown Dallas in the heart of the Design District. The center serves as an interdisciplinary structure that draws upon scholars and design practitioners to develop solutions for basic and complex social, environmental, technological, economic, and public policy problems.
The Honors College offers academic enrichments, including honors seminars and exclusive classes for high-achieving undergraduates. There is no age limit. Its classes can either supplement or substitute core coursework. Its objective is to challenge exceptional students at higher levels and to promote leadership. The college is an autonomous collegiate unit on equal footing with the other collegiate units. Academically, it offers no degrees; but its courses are integrated with the baccalaureate programs of the nine constituent colleges and the journalism school. Graduates are awarded a special medallion. The college offers many perks, including scholarships, exchange programs, and exclusive housing — Honors Hall.
The college began as an honors program forty-two years ago (Fall 1971). Its initial enrollment of 50, back then, quickly grew to 400. But the program lost support under a system of borrowing faculty members. The Honors Program was reconstituted in 1994 and was elevated as a college in 2005.
Mayborn School of Journalism
Curricular journalism at North Texas dates back to 1945. As a department, Journalism eventually became part of the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1999, twelve years after the death of Frank W. Mayborn, its graduate program was renamed the Frank W. Mayborn Graduate Institute of Journalism. On September 1, 2009, the entire program was elevated as its own collegiate unit and named the Frank W. and Sue Mayborn School of Journalism. Eight Pulitzer Prizes have been won by five of its alumni, among whom are Bill Moyers and Howard Swindle. Other notable alumni include Samir Husni, a world renowned expert on print journalism, and Cragg Hines. Since 1969, the news-editorial sequence has been accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications; and since 1986, entire program has been accredited. The school is in its ninth year as founding host of the annual Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference.
TAMS is a two-year residential early college entrance program that has, for twenty-six years, been serving exceptionally qualified Texas students who otherwise would be attending high school as juniors and seniors. It was the first of its kind in the nation and, as of 2012, the only in the state and one of five in the nation.
Toulouse Graduate School
The Toulouse Graduate School, founded sixty-seven years ago, is the academic custodian and administrator of all graduate programs offered by nine colleges and one school. It maintains records, administers admissions, and serves various roles in recruiting. It was renamed in 1990 in honor of Robert Bartell Toulouse, EdD (born 1918), who joined in 1948 as a professor in the College of Education, then served dean of the Graduate School from 1954 to 1982. Toulouse, now professor emeritus, has served other roles at the university, including provost and vice president of academic affairs from 1982 to 1985.
UNT Libraries are made up of four public service points and two remote storage facilities. Willis Library is the main library on campus, housing the business, economics, education, humanities and social sciences collections along with microforms and special areas such as the Music Library, Government Documents, the Digital Library Division, Archives, and the Rare Book and Texana collections. The Media Library in Chilton Hall houses a large collection of audiovisual materials, including films, audiobooks and video games. Video recording equipment and gaming consoles are available for checkout. The Eagle Commons Library in Sycamore Hall focuses on physics, chemistry, biology, art, psychology and mathematics. It also houses the Collaboration and Learning Commons, a place to study in groups, create multi-media projects, and record presentations. The Discovery Park Library supports the College of Engineering and the College of Information, Library Science, and Technologies. It covers multiple areas of engineering, library and information science, and learning technology.
The Intensive English Language Institute (IELI)
Established in 1977, IELI serves international students and is one of the largest language programs for learning academic English in the United States.
Joshua Crittenden Chilton was the founding president in 1890 of Texas Normal College and Teachers Training Institute, a private teachers college and music conservatory. It was originally housed in leased facilities above the B.J. Wilson Hardware Store on the northwest corner of Denton Square (current location of Ethan Allen Furniture).
In 1893, Chilton turned the school over to John Jackson Crumley, who, among his accomplishments, helped put the "North" into "North Texas." The renaming was the result of a mixup when Emory C. Smith, a State Senator from Denton, introduced a bill (with "North Texas" in its name) that passed in the Texas Legislature in 1893 authorizing the College to issue teaching certificates.
Menter Bradley Terrill led the College following the Panic of 1893. He ended his term as president when the College became state institution in 1899 under its new name, "North Texas State Normal College." He went on to found the Terrill School for boys in Dallas in 1906 and played a role in persuading Ela Hockaday, who earned a Bachelor of Arts from North Texas in 1897, to start a school for girls in 1913. Both schools prevailed as Dallas' first attempts to develop private schools on par with some of the exceptional East Coast counterparts.
Joel Sutton Kendall is credited for having strengthened a start-up institution, improved its physical facilities, and raised standards in a state-wide operational setting that, in the words of historian James Rogers, was "backwards."
William Hershel Bruce, PhD (Mercer), AM (Baylor), AB (Auburn), elevated North Texas from normal to full state-college status. North Texas, before 1921, had maintained high standards of a senior liberal arts college; but, its academic structure was legislatively limited to that of a professional school devoted to training teachers. In the 1917–1918 school-year, North Texas introduced programs leading to a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science degree. Broadening academic disciplines was part of a mandated State and concerted national movement to strengthen teachers colleges. In 1921, the State approved its new name, North Texas State Teachers College. That same year, North Texas was admitted to Class A membership in the American Association of Teachers Colleges. Bruce was an internationally known mathematics pedagogue who began his career at North Texas in 1901 as a math professor.
In 1925, Robert Lincoln Marquis launched a controversial state-wide campaign to ban freshmen and first-year transfers from competing in intercollegiate athletics. Roy Bedichek, then the chief of Intercollegiate Bureau of the University of Texas Division of Extension, was among his strongest allies. That same year, five religious denominated universities — Southwestern, Trinity University (Texas), Howard Payne University, Simmons University, and Austin College — resigned from the TIAA to form the Texas Conference. The measure passed in 1927; but there was little success with enforcement. Marquis died in 1934.
Under president Weston Joseph McConnell, the college grew tremendously; the first master's degrees were awarded in 1936. By 1940, North Texas was the largest state supported teachers college in the world; and, McConnell hired a music school pioneer, Wilfred Bain, who restructured the music program into a comprehensive music school, which as of the early 1940s, became one of the largest in the country. In May 1949, North Texas, by enactment of the Fifty-first Texas Legislature, dropped the word "Teachers" from its name, divorced itself from state-wide teachers college system, and established a board of regents of its own. Its enrollments during 1947–48 and 1948–49 increased more than any other institution in the state. In 1949, it was the fourth largest institution in the state and the only teachers college in the South that was fully approved by the American Association of Universities.
James Carl (J.C.) Matthews also oversaw important developments, including mandated integration in 1956. In 1961, the college became North Texas State University. While North Texas had been offering doctor of education degrees and doctor of philosophy degrees in music (in composition, musicology, and theory) since September 1950, the Texas Commission on Higher Education authorized doctor of philosophy programs in chemistry, biology, and physics in 1964 — and doctor of philosophy in business administration in 1965.
Joseph Louis Atkins (born 1936), who had recently graduated from high school, visited North Texas in June 13, 1955 — accompanied by his mother, Mable, and Juanita Craft — to seek enrollment for that fall. University officials turned Atkins down, reportedly, to avoid statutes of the state prohibiting enrollment of African American undergraduates. Atkins, a minor, and his father, Willie, sued Matthews in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in Sherman to force the university of uphold Brown vs. Board of Education. On December 2, 1955, Judge Joe Sheehy ruled in Atkins' favor, denying North Texas the right to refuse admission to Atkins and further ordering Matthews to immediately implement its proposed "gradual plan" for admitting African American undergraduates. Matthews waived his option to appeal and made plans to integrate the following semester. Atkins had already enrolled at the University of Texas at El Paso which admitted him and 12 other African Americans in the Fall of 1955 in compliance with a court order from the Thelma White case. But at North Texas, in February 1956, Irma Etta Sephas (née Irma Etta Loud; 1914–1991) became the first African American undergraduate to enroll. Ben Wooten, a North Texas alumnus and the Chairman of the Board of Regents at the time, later stated that a court order served to minimize potential controversy, rather than had the university been proactive under its own volition. Grace Cartwright, another regent, said that the board began making plans for desegregation almost as soon as the Atkins lawsuit had been filed.
Matthews, who had barred the media from campus and maintained a low profile during desegregation, has in retrospect, been cited favorably for having employed a strategy devoid of any major incident, relative to negative occurrences at other institutions and continued widespread denials of admissions. In the fall of 1956, after the race barrier had been broken at North Texas, then Governor Allan Shivers launched a fight against desegregation in Texas, ordering state police to prevent the court-ordered desegregation of Mansfield High School. That same year, at Texarkana Junior College and Lamar State College in Beaumont, angry mobs turned away African American students.
Atkins returned to North Texas in 1967 to earn a master's degree and had a successful career as a school teacher and education consulting. In March 2001, the Texas Legislative Black Caucus presented him with the "Outstanding Texan Award." In March 2001, UNT awarded two Doctor of Humane Letters degrees, one to Atkins and one (posthumously) to Miller — and has since established two scholarships in their names.
John Joseph Kamerick, PhD (born 1919), who previously had been Vice President and Provost of Kent State University, was considered an academic progressive who presided during a national atmosphere of student protests, primarily in opposition to the Vietnam War. Students and faculty perceived him favorably as strong academic and advocate of academic freedom. He resigned in 1970, reportedly under pressure from then Governor Preston Smith. In sharp contrast to his predecessor, Kamerick was a proponent of involving students and faculty in forming new policies. He also ended Matthews' moratorium on private fund-raising and foundation development.
Nolen, Vandiver 1970–1982
Presidents during this period: John L. Carter, Jr. (acting, 1970–1971), C.C. "Jitter" Nolen (Calvin Cleave Nolen) (1971–1979), John L. Carter, Jr. (acting, 1979–1980), Frank E. Vandiver (1980–1981), and Howard W. Smith Jr. (ad interim, 1981–1982).
In 1982, Alfred Francis Hurley, PhD & Brig. Gen.USAF (Ret.) (1928–2013), became UNT's twelfth president and second chancellor. In 1988, he oversaw the name change to the "University of North Texas." Hurley stepped down as president of UNT in October 2000 to become the system's first full-time chancellor. His tenures as president (eighteen years) and chancellor (twenty years) are the longest held by anyone in those positions. In 2002, the Regents renamed UNT Administration Building — currently fifty-seven years old — in honor of Alfred F. and Johanna H. Hurley.
Pohl, Bataille, Rawlins 2000–2013
Presidents between 2000 and 2013 are Norval F. Pohl (2000–2006), Gretchen M. Bataille (2006–2010), Phillip C. Diebel (ad interim, 2010), and V. Lane Rawlins (2010–2013).
On February 3, 2014, Neal Smatresk, PhD, an academic research biologist, became the 16th President of the university. After President Marquis, who also had been a biologist, Smatresk is the second President in the history of North Texas from the natural science academic field.
Gerald Balciar, sculptor
In High Places (1990)
Student residence halls
There are 13 residence halls on the Denton campus. UNT also offers the Residents Engaged in Academic Living (REAL) Communities program. The REAL communities offer students the ability to live with other residents in their major, and allow them to interact with each other and participate in programs that are geared toward their major or discipline. On August 22, 2011, forty-nine-year-old Maple Street Hall became the first all-vegan ("Mean Greens") college cafeteria in the country.
Social Greek organizations
The social Greek community is made-up of four councils that oversee 39 fraternities and sororities. Four percent of students of both genders are members of social fraternities and sororities.
North Texas adopted green and white as its official primary colors during the 1902–1903 school year. Black is now officially authorized as a tertiary color and may be substituted for green and white in single-color communications.
UNT's mascot, the American eagle, was adopted on February 1, 1922, as a result of a student-faculty council debate and ensuing student election. The selection is said to have reflected the student population's ideals of individual liberty and freedom of expression.
The eagle has had three nicknames, beginning with "Scrappy" in 1950. The human costumed eagle character, launched in 1963, carried the name "Scrappy" until 1974 — during the throes of the Vietnam War — when students adopted the name "Eppy" because it sounded less warlike. Since then, the name has switched back and forth, from Eppy to Scrappy; but for the last eighteen years, the name "Scrappy" has endured.
In the spring of 2002, a student group attempted to make the albino squirrel the school's secondary mascot. The student body narrowly rejected the measure. In August 2006, the albino squirrel, believed to bring luck to students who spotted him before an exam, was killed by a red-tailed hawk. By May 2007, another albino squirrel had been born on campus.
Nickname for intercollegiate athletics
Mozart Square Student housing for upperclassmen
The name "Mean Green," now in its forty-seventh year, was adopted by fans and media in 1966 for a North Texas football defensive squad that finished the season second in the nation against the rush. That season, Joe Greene, then a sophomore at North Texas, played left defensive tackle on the football team and competed in track and field (shot put). The nickname "Mean Joe Greene" caught-on during his first year with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969 when Pittsburgh fans wrongly assumed that "Mean Green" was derived from a nickname Joe Greene had inherited while at North Texas. The North Texas athletic department, media, and fans loved the novelty of the national use of its nickname, and its association with Joe Greene's surname and university's official school color. By 1968, "Mean Green" was branded on the backs of shirts, buttons, bumper stickers, and the cover of the North Texas football brochure.
Francis Edwin Stroup (1909–2010) emerged in 1939 — ten years after graduating from North Texas — as the winning composer of a university sponsored fight song competition organized by Floyd Graham. The song, "Fight, North Texas," has endured for seventy-four years and the lyrics have changed minimally to reflect the name changes of the university. Stroup went on to compose songs for Drake University, the University of Wyoming and the University of Chicago. Stroup, while teaching at Northern Illinois University in 1961, also wrote the Huskie Fight Song, which was adopted as the university's fight song in 1963. Stroup — a collegiate academician who played piano mostly by ear and neither majored nor worked in music — lived to be 101, a number exceeding the songs he composed by one digit.
In 1919, Julia Smith (1905–1989), while a music student, and Charles Kirby Langford (1903–1931), then a third-year letterman on the football team and an outstanding overall athlete, composed "Glory to the Green and White" which was adopted as the school's alma mater in 1922. Smith wrote the music and Langford wrote the lyrics.
The Spirit Bell — a 2,000 lb (910 kg) bell brought from Michigan in 1891 — was a curfew bell from 1892 to 1928. The Talons, a spirit and service organization formed in 1960, acquired it in the 1964, mounted it on a wagon, and began the tradition of running it around the football field to rally fans. It was retired to the University Union in 1982 after it developed a crack. A similar 1,600 lb (730 kg) Spirit Bell is currently in use at games. A different organization by the name "Talons" was founded in 1926 as the first social fraternity at North Texas.
On Homecoming Fridays, the Talons light a bonfire built from wooden pallets, typically in a 40-by-40-by-25-foot-height structure. The tradition has endured since the 1930s.
"Boomer" is a cannon fired by the Talons at football games since the 1970s. It is a 7/8th scale M1841 6 pound, smooth bore muzzleloader, resting on hand-crafted solid oak from the campus. Talon alumni have restored it three times, the most recent being in the Fall of 2007, adding a custom limber for transport and equipment.
The Green Machine, a green 1931 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan, is driven by the Talons Cannon Crew at football games and special events. It was donated by alumnus Rex Cauble ('74). In 2012, a team of engineering students installed a NetGain WarP 9 electric engine.
McConnell Tower, the clock tower atop the Hurley Administration Building at the center of campus, is bathed in green light for victories. The clock is depicted is on the official class ring with two different times on its faces: 1:00 (for the One O'Clock Lab Band) and 7:00 — the curfew initiated in 1892.
The eagle talon hand signal is formed by curling the thumb and index and middle fingers forward — the ring and pinkie fingers stay closed against the palm.
"In High Places," is a 22 ft (6.7 m) tall bronze statue of a flying eagle created by Gerald Balciar and dedicated during the University's centennial in 1990.
Broadcast, print, and digital media
KNTU (88.1 FM), licensed and owned by the university and operated by students, has, for forty-four years, broadcast to the North Texas region. Jazz has always been a feature of the station; but in 1981, it became the predominant format. KNTU began broadcasting in stereo in 1986 and, on March 22, 1988, increased its broadcasting power from 6,700 watts to 100,000, extending its reach to about a 60-mile radius from its tower located on the Denton campus. KNTU is part of the Mean Green Radio Network, which reaches 10 million listeners. Under the guidance of now-retired faculty member Bill Mercer, several sports broadcasters and radio personalities have emerged from North Texas, including Dave Barnett formerly of ESPN, George Dunham, and Craig Miller.
North Texas Review is an annual publication of the English Department. It is produced by UNT students and exclusively features works — art, poetry, fiction, non-fiction — by UNT students.
Student yearbooks through the years have included Cotton-tail (1906), Yucca (1907–1974), Wings (1977–1980), and Aerie (1982–2007). Aerie ceased publication after the 2007 edition, following a trend of the digital age cited by The Economist in 2008.
The North Texas Daily is the official university daily newspaper, staffed by students. Print issues are published Tuesday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters, and weekly during the summer. The paper was founded in 1916 as The Campus Chat and adopted its current name in 1971.
American Literary Review is a magazine of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction by writers at all stages in their careers. It was founded in 1990. The Review is largely student run, with faculty editorial oversight. In the fall of 2013, the Review will become exclusively an online digital publication. ISSN1051-5062
Environmental Ethics is a peer-reviewed academic journal covering the study of philosophical aspects of environmental problems. It was established in 1979.
Möbius is a Journal of the UNT Initiative for Advanced Research in Technology and the Arts.
One of several combinations of lettermarks, wordmarks, and logos designed for UNT intercollegiate athletics
The North Texas men's basketball team won the 2006–2007 Sun Belt Conference championship and advanced to the NCAA Tournament. The season marked the beginning of a four consecutive seasons of 20–plus wins. North Texas won the Sun Belt Conference championship again during the 2009–2010 season, and again advanced to the NCAA Tournament. The 2013–2014 season marks the forty-first season that the UNT Coliseum has served as the home for Men's basketball.
Phil McGraw, who earned a PhD in clinical psychology from North Texas in 1979, is in his twelfth year as host of Dr. Phil, an internationally syndicated CBS TV show. Bill Moyers studied journalism at North Texas in the 1950s.
Alumni in science & research
James Pawelczyk (UNT PhD—Biology '89) was a payload specialist aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia in 1998. The crew served as subjects and operators for experiments focusing on the effects of microgravity on the brain and nervous system. His research interests include neural control of the circulation, particularly skeletal muscle blood flow, as it is affected by exercise or spaceflight. Pawelczyk is currently a physiologist at the Noll Physiological Research Center at Pennsylvania State University.
Mark Mattson (UNT MS-Biology '82) is a well-known neuroscientist who has made major contributions to understanding how the brain responds to challenges, and to knowledge of why nerve cells become dysfunctional and degenerate in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.
Alumni in primary & secondary education
Ela Hockaday (1875–1956) founded the Hockaday School in Dallas in 1913. She earned her B.A. from North Texas in 1897.
Alumni in higher education
Lorene Lane Rogers, PhD, who earned a bachelors degree in English from North Texas, served as president of The University of Texas at Austin from 1974 to 1979, the first female in the country to head a major university and the only female in that role in UT's one hundred and thirty-year history. As UT's fifteenth president, she broke a seventy-nine-year jinx by becoming the first not to be fired. She met her husband, Burl Gordon Rogers (UNT BS—chemistry '35) while attending North Texas and married him in 1935. Burl went on to earn a PhD in chemistry from UT in 1940, whereupon, in 1941, they moved to Westfield, New Jersey, for his new job at General Aniline Works in Linden. But on June 19 of that year, Burl died from burns after a mixture of chemicals flared in a laboratory at work a week earlier. In honor of Burl, Lorene gave money to UT for a scholarship in 1996, and in turn, the UT Board of Regents established the Burl Gordon Rogers Endowed Presidential Scholarship in Chemistry.
Apogee Stadium, the two-year-old football stadium, became the first newly built sports stadium in the world to earn a Platinum LEED certification, the highest of four certifications. The facility features wind turbines, eco-friendly building materials, and native landscape architecture.
The Business Leadership Building (newly constructed) received Gold LEED certification.
The Princeton Review's Guide to 322 Green Colleges, 2012 Edition, listed UNT for the second consecutive year, citing its top 17-percent ranking among green-compliant universities nationwide under ACUPCC. The article stated that forty percent of the energy on campus is derived from renewable sources, and 43 percent of the buildings have undergone energy retrofits. The campus has posted strong numbers in recycling: since 2009, the university has recycled nearly 1,000 tons of waste materials. UNT offers graduate degrees in Environmental Science and Public Administration and Management.
UNT's Highland Street parking garage (newly constructed) received Gold LEED certification.
UNT imposed a smoking ban on all of its properties, effective January 1, 2013.
^Joe L. Atkins, a Minor, by his father and next friend, Willie Atkins, v. James Carl Matthews, President, North Texas State College, et al., U.S. District Court, Eastern District, Texas (59th District), Civ. No. 1104, 19 September 1955
^A Symbiotic Relationship Between Mid-Century Modern Masters: The Collaborative Works of Arthur and Marie Berger, Landscape Architects, and O'Niel Ford, Architect, by Dianne Susan Duffner Laurence, University of Texas at Arlington, December 2007