The University of Dayton Research Institute (UDRI) employs nearly 400 full-time researchers. In 2009, UDRI performed more than $95 million in sponsored research. The research institute is nationally recognized for its many research projects. Established as the research arm of the University of Dayton in 1956, UDRI broke the $1 billion mark in sponsored research at the end of 2003. In fiscal year 2005, sponsored research at UDRI topped $70 million.
In 2009, the United States Air Force awarded a $50 million contract to UDRI for fuel technology research for aerospace applications. In 2011, The United States Air Force awarded a $24.5 million contract for the development and testing of polymer materials and paints.
The former headquarters building of the NCR Corporation, now part of the UDRI.
In December 2009, the University of Dayton Research Institute announced that they would be relocating to the former NCR world headquarters building. The former HQ and the surrounding land came under acquisition of the University of Dayton at a purchase price of $18 million.