From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Tulls Corner is located in Quindocqua just west of Quindocqua United Methodist Church, at the intersection of Tulls Corner Road and L. Q. Powell Road, near Marion Station, Maryland. At one time it was a busy, flourishing, self-sustaining center of activity with numerous homes and places of business.
It started originally from a crossroads store prior to the American Revolutionary War and expanded gradually until it reached its height shortly after the end of the American Civil War. It is named after the Tull family, who evidently came to Somerset County about 1666 from Northampton County, Virginia. Thomas Tull IV (1750-1818) created the settlement which became known as Tulls Corner. He owned a grist mill and became an extensive farmer and ship owner. At that time, the settlement consisted of several homes, three or four stores, a post office, shoe shop, blacksmith shop, tannery, grist mill, and a nearby school and church. Later a saloon, millinery shop, barrel factory, tomato cannery and other businesses were added. After its hey-day, it declined into obscurity. The Tulls are completely gone from the area and the name of the community is almost extinct.
|This Maryland state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|