|Gender||male/female (mostly male)|
Theo is a given name, deriving from the Greek word Theos which means god, short for many different names in which 'Theo-' is the first element, for example:
Thea is a feminine given name of similar origin.
Many other names beginning with "theo" do not necessarily derive from Greek, but rather the old Germanic "theud" meaning "people" or "folk". As these names are not common today and in the ancient times they were not spelled with "theo" it is unlikely this nickname was ever applied to these individuals. These names include:
Notable people named Theo
- Theo Adams (born 1989), Theatre Artist
- Theo Albrecht (1922–2010), German businessman
- Theo Wade Brown, designer and engineer
- Theo de Raadt, founder and leader of the OpenBSD and OpenSSH projects
- Theo Epstein (born 1973), president of the Chicago Cubs
- Theo Fleury, Canadian ice hockey player
- Theo Huxtable, the fictional son of Cliff Huxtable on the series The Cosby Show, played by Malcolm-Jamal Warner
- Theo Jansen, Dutch artist and kinetic sculptor
- Theo Kojak, fictional NYPD Detective.
- Theo Papaloukas (born 1977), Greek basketball player
- Theo Ratliff, an American professional basketball player (NBA)
- Theo van Gogh (1957–2004), Dutch film director
- Theo Vonkurnatowski, reality TV star and comedian
- Theo Walcott, England footballer
- Theo Paphitis, British entrepreneur
- Theo Rossi, (born 1975) American actor
- ^ a b Mike Campbell. "Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Theodore". Behind the Name. http://www.behindthename.com/name/theodore. Retrieved 2011-07-26.