For the Royal Air force parachute display team, see RAF Falcons
The Falcons were an American rhythm and blues vocal group, some of whose members went on to be influential in soul music.
The Falcons formed in 1955 in Detroit, Michigan on the Mercury Records imprint. After personnel changes in 1956, The Falcons had hits for the Lupine Records label with the million selling "You're So Fine" (1959), and "I Found A Love" (1962). The group were recording under the production wing of Robert West, who gave the group a gospel music sound and recorded the singers on his own Flick label.
Stubbs was lead singer on the hits "Just For Your Love" (1959) and "The Teacher" (1960) before Wilson Pickett replaced him in 1960. After 1963, the Fabulous Playboys took over the Falcons name. The later group comprised Carlis 'Sonny' Monroe, James Gibson, Johnny Alvin, and Alton Hollowell. This group made the R&B chart in 1966, with "Standing On Guard."
The Falcons were originally:
- Eddie Floyd (1955-1963)
- Bob Manardo (1955-1957)
- James Hamler (1955-1957)
- Arnett Robinson (1955-1957)
- Tom Shetler (1955-1957)
- Willie Schofield (1955-1963)
Some members were replaced over time:
- Joe Stubbs (1957-1960)
- Wilson Pickett (1960-1963)
- Mack Rice (1957-1963)
- Lance Finnie (1957-1963)
- Robert Ward (1957-1963)
- Carlis (Sonny) Munro (1963-2008) *Francisco (Frank) Garcia II (2005-Present) *Calvin "Dhaak" Stephenson (2005-2008) *Charnissa Stephenson (2006-2008)
- "You're So Fine" (Relic 1985)
- "I Found A Love" (Relic 1985), "Has It Happened To You Yet"/"Lonely Nights" (Lupine Records -1964) *"Standing On Guard" (Big Wheel 1966) *"I Can't Help It" (Big Wheel 1966) *"I'm A Fool I Must Love You" (Big Wheel Early 1967) *"Love,Love Love" (Big Wheel Early 1967) *"Love Look In Her Eyes" (Big Wheel Late 1967) *"In Time For The Blues" (Big Wheel Late 1967)
- "The Falcons:Then and Now" (Independent Label April 1995)
- "Buy Now,Pay Later" Recorded by The Falcons under the name of The Firestones for Ollie McLaughlin's Moira Records label in 1969,released on "The Detroit Gold Volume One" LP distributed by Rhino Records. "I Just Can't Wait" Recorded by The Falcons under the name of The Firestones for Ollie McLaughlin's Moira Records Label in 1969,also released on "The Detroit Gold Volume One" LP distributed by Rhino Records.
- ^ Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 113. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
Francisco (Frank) Garcia II Pres/CEO The Original Historical Music Society of Detroit tm