|The Sunny Side Up Show|
The Sunny Side Up Show logo
|Country of origin||United States|
|Original channel||PBS Kids Sprout|
|Original run||September 26, 2007 – present|
The Sunny Side Up Show is a television programming block introduced on September 26, 2007 on PBS Kids Sprout. Each week, a new theme is introduced (shown on the website), including food, Halloween, animals, construction, fall, opposites, and birthdays. The Sunny Side Up Show starts at 9:00am Eastern/8:00am Central each weekday morning. The host of the Sunny Side Up Show plays games, sings songs, tells stories, and shows birthday cards or shows artwork. The show has a puppet co-host, a chicken named Chica.
The Sunny Side Up Show is PBS Kids Sprout's morning program. It is produced live every day, and hosted by a human host along with Chica, a puppet. The show takes place on a set dubbed The Sunshine Barn and decorated with farm-themed objects. The hosts are Kelly, Sean, Dennisha, and Carly. Each host the show for one week with each week's host being announced late in the previous week. Each week's host introduces programs, reads birthdays, leads activities related to the week's theme, and reads messages sent in by individual "Sproutlet" viewers through the Sprout website. There are daily activities such as "The Good Egg Awards" celebrating viewers' accomplishments, and "The Barnyard Boogie", which showcases a viewer animation created that day on the website. These animations are shown at the end of each morning and feature an animated version of the human host dancing with an animated Chica.
- Kevin is portrayed by Kevin Yamada. He was an original host of the show and had been the sole host of The Birthday Show, a short-form daily feature celebrating "Sproutlet" birthdays. During this show, Kevin would showcase a birthday-party activity and announce viewer birthdays by reading the homemade birthday cards sent in by family members. Meanwhile, a crawl ran across the bottom of the screen displaying the names and ages of other viewers celebrating a birthday that day. On September 26, 2007, The Birthday Show was absorbed into The Sunny Side Up Show. Kevin joined Chica and Kelly as hosts, and the birthday cards and crawl of viewers' names became features of the new program. Kevin's last appearance on the show was on December 25, 2009, where he explained his impending departure from the show by telling viewers that he was moving away to the great big city and not playing with Chica in the Sunshine Barn anymore. In reality, Yamada will remain at Sprout to voice the character of Ricky on the daily Sprout Sharing Show; his Sunny Side Up hosting duties were assumed by new host Dennisha Pratt on December 31, 2009. It is unknown why.
- Kelly is portrayed by Kelly Vrooman. She is one of the show's two original hosts.
- Sean is portrayed by Sean Roach, another host of the show.
- Dennisha is portrayed by Dennisha Pratt. She made her debut on December 31, 2009, replacing Kevin.
- Liz, portrayed by Liz Filios, joined the show on November 1, 2010 and left the show June 18, 2012 to be replaced by Carly.
- Carly, Portrayed by Carly Ciarrocchi, joined the show on June 18,2012 replacing Liz.
- Chica is a chicken puppet who co-hosts The Sunny Side Up Show with Kelly, Sean, Dennisha, and Carly. She lives in The Sunshine Barn, and has a voice which resembles a kazoo. Her character has been part of the Sunny Side Up Show since its premiere in 2007. She also makes occasional appearances on the Sprout Sharing Show. Chica is now adapted into a plush available at amazon.com. However, several comment complaints on the amazon.com website about the Chica plush were about a dog squeak toy sound instead of Chica's squeak.
Guest hosts and other characters
- Nina, portrayed by Michele Lepe, is the current host of The Good Night Show. She also makes occasional appearances as guest host on The Sunny Side Up Show .
- Mr. Mailman is a cartoon character who delivers cards and mail. Originally a part of The Birthday Show, the character was then featured in The Many Adventures of Mr. Mailman. He still performs his original role, delivering birthday cards on The Sunny Side Up Show.
- Patty is one of three hosts on the Sprout Sharing Show. She is portrayed by a brown paper bag heavily decorated to be a pig. She makes occasional appearances on the Sunny Side Up Show.