Submit It!, Inc. was a privately held Internet services company located in Bedford, Massachusetts. The original free Submit It! service was created by Scott Banister while he was a student at the University of Illinois. He left during his sophomore year to co-found Submit It! Inc., where he served as vice president of technology. The other co-founders were Bill Younker, the company's president and CEO, and Larry Gormley, the vice president of product development.
The company's original product was Submit It!, a web site announcement service. In May 1997, it introduced DirectoryGuide, a compilation of Internet search engines and directories. In October 1997, it acquired the search engine monitoring service PositionAgent from NetGambit, Inc., of Chicago. In December 1997, it launched ClickTrade, a service which enabled web sites to run link partner programs. Another of the company's products was ListBot, an email list hosting service. Both NetGambit's PositionAgent and ListBot were built by Max Levchin's NetMeridian Software.
In June 1998, Submit It! Inc. was acquired by LinkExchange. Subsequently, in November 1998, LinkExchange was acquired by Microsoft.
- ^ "Company Overview". Submit It!, Inc.. Archived from the original on January 21, 1998. http://web.archive.org/web/19980121155159/submit-it.com/pressroom/sibackgrounder.htm.
- ^ "Bios". Submit It!, Inc.. Archived from the original on January 21, 1998. http://web.archive.org/web/19980121155206/submit-it.com/pressroom/sibio.htm.
- ^ "Scott Banister". LinkedIn. http://www.linkedin.com/in/banister. Retrieved February 17, 2011. "VP Technology, Co-Founder: Submit It!"
- ^ "Bill Younker". LinkedIn. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bill-younker/11/3b3/68. Retrieved February 17, 2011. "CEO, Co-founder: Submit It!"
- ^ "Submit It! Publishes First Navigational Site for Locating Internet Directories". Submit It!, Inc.. May 19, 1997. Archived from the original on January 21, 1998. http://web.archive.org/web/19980121155314/submit-it.com/pressroom/sidirectoryguidepr.htm.
- ^ "Submit It! Acquires PositionAgent from NetGambit". Submit It!, Inc.. October 6, 1997. Archived from the original on December 22, 1997. http://web.archive.org/web/19971222150724/submit-it.com/pressroom/paacquire.htm.
- ^ "Submit It! Announces ClickTrade, The First Service for Running Pay-Per-Click Link Partner Programs". Submit It!, Inc.. December 9, 1997. Archived from the original on December 6, 1998. http://web.archive.org/web/19981206043755/www.clicktrade.com/press/ctbetalaunch.htm.
- ^ "Submit It! Announces Service for Running Pay-Per-ClickLink Partner Programs". URLwire. December 9, 1997. http://www.urlwire.com/newsarchive/120997.HTM.
- ^ http://www.quora.com/What-four-startups-did-Max-Levchin-found-prior-to-PayPal
- ^ "LinkExchange Acquires Submit It!". ClickZ. June 24, 1998. http://www.clickz.com/clickz/news/1704870/linkexchange-acquires-submit-it.
- ^ "Acquisition Enables MSN to Reach More Customers". Microsoft News Center. November 5, 1998. http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1998/nov98/linkpr.mspx/.