Stafford is a city in Stafford County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,042.
Stafford is located at 37°57′46″N 98°36′4″W / 37.96278°N 98.60111°W (37.962789, -98.600996). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2), all of it land.
- Oktoberfest - In 2011, it will be the 22nd annual event.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,161 people, 525 households, and 305 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,234.3 people per square mile (476.9/km²). There were 640 housing units at an average density of 680.4 per square mile (262.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.95% White, 0.09% African American, 0.86% Native American, 1.46% from other races, and 1.64% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.53% of the population.
There were 525 households out of which 25.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.7% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 41.9% were non-families. 39.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 24.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.12 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.9% under the age of 18, 5.3% from 18 to 24, 20.4% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 28.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 82.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $27,092, and the median income for a family was $32,383. Males had a median income of $26,307 versus $18,438 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,032. About 11.2% of families and 16.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.0% of those under age 18 and 9.6% of those age 65 or over.
All students in Stafford attend school in the same building. The district is rated 1A by the state; consequently, its teams play eight-man football.
- ^ a b "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST13&prodType=table. Retrieved June 30, 2011.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.