Sawyer is an occupational term referring to someone who saws wood, particularly using a pit saw either in a saw pit or with the log on trestles above ground or operates a sawmill. One such job was the now-archaic occupation of someone who cut lumber to length for the consumer market, a task now done by end users or at lumber and home improvement stores. The term is still widely used in the logging industry, wildfire suppression, trail construction and related work to refer to the operator of a chainsaw (or still in some limited applications, a crosscut saw). In the construction industry, the term is applied to the operator of a concrete saw.
Sawyer is also an occupational surname originating in England, for someone who made a living from sawing wood. Sawyer is also less commonly a given name.
This term may also refer to:
- Sawyer, a fallen tree stuck on the bottom of river, where it constitutes a danger to boating.
In the United States:
- Ada Lewis Sawyer, pioneer female attorney from Rhode Island
- Alan Sawyer (born 1928), professional basketball player
- Amos Sawyer, President of Liberia 1990–1994
- Benjamin C. Sawyer, Mayor of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Celia Sawyer, art dealer, Four Rooms dealer
- Chris Sawyer, computer game designer
- Diane Sawyer, American journalist and TV host
- Gary Sawyer, English association football player for Plymouth Argyle F.C.
- Gordon E. Sawyer Award, of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- Grant Sawyer, Governor of Nevada
- Herbert Sawyer (1730–1798), British Royal Navy admiral
- Herbert Sawyer, British Royal Navy admiral, son of the above
- Ivy Sawyer, American singer, actress and dancer
- Joe Sawyer, Canadian actor
- Josh Sawyer, video game designer
- Lee Sawyer, English footballer
- Lewis E. Sawyer, American congressman
- Miranda Sawyer, English journalist
- Natalie Sawyer, English sports presenter
- Peter Hayes Sawyer, English professor of medieval history, known for his annotated list of Anglo-Saxon charters
- Philetus Sawyer, American politician
- Ray Sawyer, singer from the band Dr. Hook
- Robert J. Sawyer, science fiction author
- Roland D. Sawyer, Massachusetts clergyman and politician
- Shawn Sawyer, figure skater
- Stephen S. Sawyer, American painter
- Thomas C. Sawyer, Ohio State Senator
- Toby Sawyer, English actor
- William Sawyer, several people
- Walter Warwick Sawyer, Mathematics author
- Annie Sawyer, one of the three main protagonists of the television series Being Human.
- Buz Sawyer, title character of a long-running comic strip
- Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain's famous literary character in multiple books
- James "Sawyer" Ford, a character on the ABC television show Lost
- Peyton Sawyer, a fictional character on the hit television show One Tree Hill
- Bubba "Leatherface" Sawyer, a fictional character in the horror movie The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Sawyer, a fictional female cat in the movie "Cats Don't Dance"