San Lorenzo (Spanish pronunciation: [san loˈɾenθo], Saint Lawrence) is a municipality of Puerto Rico located in the eastern central region, north of Patillas and Yabucoa; south of Gurabo; east of Caguas and Cayey; and west of Juncos and Las Piedras. San Lorenzo is spread over ten wards and San Lorenzo Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). It is part of the San Juan-Caguas-Guaynabo Metropolitan Statistical Area.
San Lorenzo is called El Pueblo de los Samaritanos or La Tierra de Leyendas, The surrounding areas produce tobacco and sugar cane.
San Lorenzo was founded in 1493 by Juan Ponce de Leon .
Rivers: Río Cayaguas, Río Emajagua, Río Grande de Loíza and Río de las Vegas.
- Cerro Gordo
- Quebrada Arenas
- Quebrada Honda
Landmarks and places of interest
Priscilla Flores Theater.
- registered National Historic Site and Monument built circa 1737 and renovated in 1993.
Agriculture is run on a large farm belonging to the Olmeda-Reyes family by Abran Reyes, Jose Olmeda-Reyes and Nancy Ortiz.
- Clothing, Pharmaceuticals, Footwear, Electromechanical equipment, Industrial and household paints
Festivals and events
- Three Kings Caroling - January
- Cavalcade Moncho Roldán - January
- Candelaria Celebrations - February
- Kite Festival - March
- Cross Celebrations - May
- Matron Celebrations - September
- Embroidering and Weave Festival - September
- Passion Fruit Festival - November
- AA Class Baseball Club "Samaritanos" - multiple National Champions
- Agustin Reyes Half Marathon
The flag of San Lorenzo is divided in four rectangles of equal size, two rectangles are yellow and the other two are stripped with red and yellow stripes.
Coat of arms
The grill is the traditional symbol of San Lorenzo, deacon and martyr, patron of the town, because in a grill he underwent the martyrdom, slowly burned to death. The hill or mountain represent the Gregorio Hill, which dominates the San Lorenzo panorama. The cross is one of the heraldic attributes of San Miguel Arcángel.
Notable natives and residents
- Mikael Reyes-Navarro(Baseball player)
- Chayanne - singer and actor
- José Tous Soto (Former Speaker House of Representatives)
- Antonio Fernós Isern (Former resident Commissioner)
- Generoso Eduardo Morales Muñoz (Writer, Historian, Educator, Publisher)
- Priscilla Flores (Folklor singer)
- José Aponte Hernández (Former Speaker House of Representatives)
- Néstor Aponte Hernández (Appellate Judge)
- Rubén Torres Dávila (Judge)
- Alberto Ramos Aponte (Judge)
- José F. Velázquez (Lawyer and writer)
- Fe Leonor Borges (Founder Tuna Campeche, choir teacher)
- Jose Antonio Delgado (Former Mayor)
- Hiram Antonio Rosario (drummer for band Visa)
- Paquito Montañez (Writer)
- Carlos Vázquez Cruz (Writer) es:Carlos Vázquez Cruz