From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Samuel Wyatt (8 September 1737 – 8 February 1807) was an English architect and engineer. A member of the Wyatt family, which included several notable 18th- and 19th-century English architects, his work was primarily in a neoclassical style.
In his twenties, Wyatt was master carpenter and later Robert Adam's clerk of works at Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire, which was a landmark in English neoclassical architecture. He later worked with his brother James Wyatt on the Pantheon in Oxford Street, London. He designed neoclassical country houses such as Tatton Park in Cheshire, and Trinity House in London and Digswell House in Hertfordshire.
Wyatt's career was diverse. He designed the Albion Mills in London, which was the first in the world to be powered by steam engines, and patented designs for cast iron bridges. He designed model farm buildings, cottages, and several lighthouses, including those at Dungeness and Flamborough Head.
Between 1784 and 1807 Samuel worked as architect to the Holkham Hall estate, he designed several farms, the 'The Great Barn' as well as the new kitchen garden with its hothouses, including 'The Vinery'. He used a simplified new-classical style for these buildings.
Samuel Wyatt developed a friendship with Matthew Boulton, for whom he designed Soho House in the Handsworth area of Birmingham in 1789. Prior to this, Boulton recommended him to the proprietors of the Theatre Royal on New Street, Birmingham in 1777, and in 1780, a portico of coupled Ionic columns between arched wings was added to the front of the theatre to a design by Wyatt. It is also believed that he was recommended by Boulton to James Watt, for whom Wyatt designed Heathfield House in Handsworth, Birmingham. This was completed in 1790. He was also responsible for work at Moseley Hall in the Moseley area of Birmingham.
Together with Charles Tatham he also designed Dropmore House in Buckinghamshire which was built in the 1790s for the Prime Minister at the time Lord Grenville, who pushed through the law abolishing the slave trade. At the turn of the 18th century he remodelled and extended Shugborough Hall for Viscount Anson.