Romeo and Juliet is an upcoming film adaptation of William Shakespeare's romantic tragedy of the same name directed by Carlo Carlei.
This will be a traditional version similar to Franco Zeffirelli's adaptation of the tragedy.
Filming started on February 3, 2012 in Italy. The film was shot at the grotto Sacro Speco in Subiaco and in Mantua. The first pictures of the set were posted on Italian newspaper Gazzetta di Mantova on February 14, 2012. Steinfeld finished filming her scenes on March 7, 2012.
In April 2011, Hailee Steinfeld was said to be in talks for the lead role as Juliet in this new adaptation. Due to Steinfeld's young age, there was some concern she would be asked to appear nude in the film. Director Carlo Carlei explained "there was a lovemaking scene that included nudity for the married Romeo and Juliet. This script was written with a 20-year-old actress in mind. As soon as Hailee Steinfeld was cast, all nudity and lovemaking have been excised from the script. It will be romantic and age-appropriate for a 14-year-old." Julian Fellowes added, "We did feel it would be nice to have romantic, married love, and that purity was an important part of the film. They don’t make love until they have been married."
In May 2011, it was reported Ed Westwick was in final negotiations to star as Tybalt. He revealed, "You see more into Tybalt in Julian's version. Instead of him being a straight villain and sort of the fascist that we know from the play, you get some depth."
The role of Romeo was found in June 2011 when Douglas Booth was cast, beating out 300 other actors who were interested in the part.
Paul Wesley had been offered the role of Count Paris, but it was announced in February 2012 that Tom Wisdom would play him.
- ^ a b c Bamigboye, Baz (March 22, 2012). "Fellowes' Romeo will put Twilight stars in the shade". Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2119017/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Fellowes-Romeo-Twilight-stars-shade.html. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- ^ Labecque, Jeff (February 3, 2012). "Hailee Steinfeld begins 'Romeo and Juliet' in Italy". Entertainment Weekly. http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/02/03/romeo-and-juliet-begins-italy/. Retrieved February 18, 2012.
- ^ "Romeo & Juliet, Mantova diventa set della tragedia di Shakespeare - Fotogalleria" (in Italian). Gazetta Di Mantova. February 14, 2012. http://gazzettadimantova.gelocal.it/foto-e-video/2012/02/14/fotogalleria/romeo-juliet-il-secondo-giorno-di-riprese-1.3180170. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- ^ "Photos of Douglas Booth & Hailee Steinfeld on ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Set". Page to Premiere Network. February 16, 2012. http://pagetopremiere.com/2012/02/photos-of-douglas-booth-hailee-steinfeld-on-romeo-juliet-set/. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- ^ "Twitter / HaileeSteinfeld: Bitter sweet day today". Twitter.com. March 7, 2012. https://twitter.com/#!/HaileeSteinfeld/status/177514081937408001. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- ^ Kit, Borys (April 7, 2011). "Hailee Steinfeld in Talks to Star in Indie 'Romeo & Juliet' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hailee-steinfeld-talks-star-indie-176162?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Ffilm+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Movies%29&utm_content=Google+Reader. Retrieved February 18, 2012.
- ^ Krager, Dave (June 10, 2011). "'Romeo and Juliet' director: No nude scene for Hailee Steinfeld -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/10/romeo-and-juliet-hailee-steinfeld-nude/. Retrieved February 18, 2012.
- ^ "Ed Westwick Gets Shakespearienced". Variety. May 23, 2011. http://www.showblitz.com/2011/05/ed-westwick-gets-shakespearienced.html. Retrieved February 18, 2012.
- ^ Martin, Denise (January 25, 2012). "Ed Westwick Tired of "Lovesick Puppy" Chuck, Ready for Gossip Girl to End". TV Guide. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Ed-Westwick-Gossip-Girl-Interview-1042206.aspx. Retrieved February 18, 2012.
- ^ Chitwood, Adam (June 21, 2011). "Douglas Booth Cast as Romeo Opposite Hailee Steinfeld in ROMEO AND JULIET". Collider. http://collider.com/douglas-booth-romeo-and-juliet/97880/. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
- ^ Rosenfield, Kat (July 19, 2011). "Romeo May Have Competition In 'Vampire Diaries' Star Paul Wesley". MTV. http://hollywoodcrush.mtv.com/2011/07/19/paul-wesley-romeo-and-juliet/. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
- ^ Brooks, Brian (February 1, 2012). "Tom Wisdom Set For ‘Romeo and Juliet’". Deadline.com. http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/actor-tom-wisdom-set-for-romeo-and-juliet/. Retrieved February 19, 2012.