Roflumilast (trade names Daxas, Daliresp) is a drug which acts as a selective, long-acting inhibitor of the enzyme PDE-4. It has antiinflammatory effects and is under development as an orally administered drug for the treatment of inflammatory conditions of the lungs such as asthma, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). While roflumilast was found to be effective in clinical trials, it produced several dose-limiting side effects including nausea, diarrhoea and headache, and development is continuing in an attempt to minimise the incidence of side effects while retaining clinical efficacy.
In June 2010, Daxas was approved in the EU for severe COPD associated with chronic bronchitis. In March 2011, Daliresp gained FDA approval in the US for reducing COPD exacerbations.
- ^ Boswell-Smith, V; Spina, D (2007). "PDE4 inhibitors as potential therapeutic agents in the treatment of COPD-focus on roflumilast". International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 2 (2): 121–9. ISSN 1178-2005. PMC 2695611. PMID 18044684. http://www.dovepress.com/getfile.php?fileID=971.
- ^ Herbert, C; Hettiaratchi, A; Webb, DC; Thomas, PS; Foster, PS; Kumar, RK (May 2008). "Suppression of cytokine expression by roflumilast and dexamethasone in a model of chronic asthma". Clinical & Experimental Allergy 38 (5): 847–56. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2222.2008.02950.x. ISSN 1365-2222. PMID 18307529.
- ^ Hohlfeld, JM; Schoenfeld, K; Lavae-Mokhtari, M; Schaumann, F; Mueller, M; Bredenbroeker, D; Krug, N; Hermann, R (August 2008). "Roflumilast attenuates pulmonary inflammation upon segmental endotoxin challenge in healthy subjects: a randomized placebo-controlled trial". Pulmonary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 21 (4): 616–23. doi:10.1016/j.pupt.2008.02.002. ISSN 1094-5539. PMID 18374614.
- ^ Field, SK (May 2008). "Roflumilast: an oral, once-daily selective PDE-4 inhibitor for the management of COPD and asthma". Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs 17 (5): 811–8. doi:10.1517/13543722.214.171.1241. ISSN 1354-3784. PMID 18447606.
- ^ Spina, D (October 2008). "PDE4 inhibitors: current status". British Journal of Pharmacology 155 (3): 308–15. doi:10.1038/bjp.2008.307. ISSN 1476-5381. PMC 2567892. PMID 18660825. //www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2567892/.
- ^ "Nycomed's Anti-Inflammatory Gains Approval in EU for COPD"
- ^ "FDA approves new drug to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease" (Press release). U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). March 1, 2011. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm244989.htm.
- ^ Amschler, H.; 1998, U.S. Patent 5,712,298.