Rob Gardner is an American musician best known as the drummer for the original lineups of L.A. Guns and Guns N' Roses, and was also briefly the drummer for Hollywood Rose.
L.A. Guns (1983–1985)
L.A. Guns were first formed in 1983 by guitarist Tracii Guns and drummer Rob Gardner. The first lineup included singer Mike Jagosz, bassist Ole Beich, Guns and Gardner. Jagosz was replaced briefly by William Bailey (aka Axl Rose). Bailey would then leave the group to front Rapidfire before going on to form Hollywood Rose with Izzy Stradlin and Chris Weber. Singer Michael Jagosz was brought back in to replace Rose with the group recording the only material by this original incarnation of L.A. Guns. The material would be released as a bonus disc, titled Collector's Edition No. 1, with the compilation album Hollywood Raw in 2004.
Hollywood Rose, Guns N' Roses (1985)
Following the breakup of Hollywood Rose, in 1984, singer Rose rejoined L.A. Guns. However, Hollywood Rose reunited, briefly, with Rose, Stradlin, Weber and Steve Darrow returning while Gardner also joined the group. Weber was soon replaced by Tracii Guns. The group changed their name to Guns N' Roses (combining the names of L.A. Guns and Hollywood Rose) with the lineup consisting of Axl Rose, Tracii Guns, Izzy Stradlin, Ole Beich and Rob Gardner.
Beich was eventually replaced by Duff McKagan while Guns left the group being replaced by Slash. McKagan went on to book shows taking place between Sacramento and Seattle, which was dubbed "The Hell Tour". During this time, Gardner quit the group and was replaced by Steven Adler with this lineup becoming known as the "classic lineup" of Guns N' Roses.
- with L.A. Guns
- ^ a b c Stephen Thomas Erlewine; Andrew Leahey. "L.A. Guns Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved September 20, 2010.
- ^ Thore, Kim (June 17, 2010). "Tracii Guns Interview". Uberrock.co.uk.
- ^ a b The Roots of Guns N' Roses (booklet). Cleopatra Records. 2004.
- ^ a b c d Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Hollywood Rose Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved September 16, 2004.
- ^ Slash; Anthony Bozza (2007). Slash. HarperCollins. pp. 88, 89, 90, 92, 93. ISBN 978-0-00-725775-1.
- ^ "Ex-HOLLYWOOD ROSE Guitarist: AXL ROSE Was 'Very Ego Motivated'". Blabbermouth.net. November 19, 2004.
- ^ Wall, Mick (2009-01-20). W.A.R.: The Unauthorized Biography of William Axl Rose. Macmillan. p. 65. ISBN 978-0-312-54148-4. Retrieved September 16, 2004.
- ^ Slash; Anthony Bozza (2007). Slash. HarperCollins. p. 97. ISBN 978-0-00-725775-1.
- ^ Berelian (2005). The Rough Guides to Heavy Metal. Rough Guides. p. 143. ISBN 1-84353-415-0.
- ^ a b Slash; Anthony Bozza (2007). Slash. HarperCollins. p. 98. ISBN 978-0-00-725775-1.
- ^ Torreano, Bradley. "Duff McKagan Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved September 16, 2004.
- ^ Stephen Thomas Erlewine; Greg Prato. "Guns N' Roses Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved September 16, 2010.
- ^ Slash; Anthony Bozza (2007). Slash. HarperCollins. p. 105. ISBN 978-0-00-725775-1.