Early owners included Fitz-Marmaduke, Lumley and Gascoigne. In 1607, the castle was purchased by Thomas Liddell a wealthy Newcastle-upon-Tyne merchant and remained in the ownership of the Liddell family for over 350 years.
The Liddell family ceased to live at the castle in about 1910. It was briefly leased to a girls school but gradually fell into disrepair and decay. It was substantially demolished in about 1952 when it became unsafe due to mining subsidence, some of the stone was used to extend Hindley Hall. The ruinous remains have been included by English Heritage in the Heritage at Risk Register.
The Castle was featured in the BBC's television programme 'Restoration'. All thirty candidates from the series also featured in a book which was produced after the series.