The Raven's Claw emblem (current)
The Raven's Claw is an all male senior honorary society at Dickinson College. It was founded in 1896, making it the first society unique to Dickinson College and one of the oldest in the country. Membership is limited to seven senior men who are selected by the seven previous members. The new members are chosen based on a variety of factors, these include: campus leadership, a solid academic record, and athletic participation. New members are inducted in a "Tapping Ceremony" which is held on the "Old Stone Steps of Old West." The ceremony is traditionally conducted during commencement weekend. They are called "claws" or "white hats", denoting the white caps they wear around campus to signify unity and loyalty.
1965 Raven's Claw Tappings Ceremony on the steps of Old West
The Raven's Claw Society is very loyal and has been a part of Dickinson's history for over 100 years. While the members of the group are known, the majority of their actions and traditions are concealed. The group prides itself in serving the Dickinson College and Carlisle, Pennsylvania communities through discrete service activities. The group's alumni organization is also responsible for founding one of the college's largest scholarship funds and the McAndrews Fund for athletics. Additionally, Dickinson College has named several buildings on campus after Raven's Claw members in recognition of their generous service and/or financial contributions to the school.
- Merkel Landis, President of Carlisle Trust Company, responsible for establishing the first Christmas club savings fund.
- Robert M. Waidner, President of Standard Fusee Corporation.
- John H. Devlin, Senior Vice President, Barclays Capital.
- George V. Hager, Chairman and CEO of Genesis HealthCare Corporation.
- John R. Stafford, CEO of American Home Products International Inc.
- Gary A. Poliner, CFO and Executive Vice President of Northwestern Mutual Financial Network.
- Doug Pauls, BankUnited Chief Financial Officer.
- Abram Bosler, President of Carlisle Deposit Bank and Carlisle Shoe Company; President of the Carlisle City Council; Co-founder of Carlisle Country Club 
- David S. Freysinger, Executive Vice President of Reliant Energy, Inc.
- Kyle Miller, President and CEO of Hudson Castle Group, Inc.
- Richard W. Schey, Partner, Management Committee, Regional Coordinator, New England Offices of Jackson Lewis LLP; Author of 'The New Jersey Wage and Hour Handbook.' 
- Daniel J. Sheridan, President and Chief Operating Officer, Extensis Group LLC.
Arts and entertainment
Politics and public service
- Edward J. Bonin, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania
- Samuel W. Witwer, politician credited as the "Father of the Illinois Constitution."
- S. Walter Stauffer, United States Representative from Pennsylvania and President of the National Lime Association.
- Robert E. Woodside Jr., Pennsylvania State Congressman, Pennsylvania Attorney General and Superior Court Judge.
- John D. Hopper, Pennsylvania State Senator.
- Henri S. Rauschenbach, Massachusetts State Congressman and Senator.
- Dallas Winslow, Delaware Public Service Commissioner and Delaware State Senator.
- Jim Gerlach, U.S. Representative and 2010 Gubernatorial Candidate from Pennsylvania.
- Harry Nice, member of the Baltimore City Council and the 50th Governor of Maryland.
- Luke Bernstein, Executive Director of the Republican Party of Pennsylvania.
- Richard Barclay Surrick, United States federal judge on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Dennis J. Crawford, New Jersey Supreme Court Certified Trial Attorney.
- James A. Kenney, III, Judge of the Maryland Court of Special Appeals 
- Jeffrey Truskey, Senior Legal Counsel for the Chevron Corporation.
- John E. Jones III, U.S. District Judge who decided the Dover Intelligent Design Case
- W. J. Gobrecht, Author, Historian and Coach.
- Dave Webster, Dickinson College Head Men's Lacrosse Coach.
- John Carroll (basketball), former Boston Celtics head coach.
- Bernie Driscoll, Kutztown University Head Men's Basketball Coach.
- Jim Engles, New Jersey Institute of Technology Head Men's Basketball Coach.
- Peter J. Sivess, Philadelphia Phillies pitcher and Central Intelligence Agency Cold Warrior.
- Steve Hoffman (American football), former NFL player and current NFL coach
- Eric Amsler, Miami Heat, Scouting and Player Personnel
- Boyd Lee Spahr, President of Dickinson College Board of Trustees.
- Don W. Llewellyn, Dean of Graduate Legal Studies, Villanova University School of Law 
- John "Milt" Davidson, member emeritus of the college’s board of trustees; most senior living Raven's Claw member 
- Edward A. Polloway, Dean of Graduate Studies and Distinguished Professor of Education, Lynchburg College.
- Gilbert "Red" Malcolm, 23rd President of Dickinson College.
- Stephen A. Saltzburg, Distinguished University Professor, The George Washington University Law School.
- Benjamin James, educator, dean, coach, and beloved Dickinsonian.
- Former/current members of the Dickinson College Board of Trustees, among others.
- ^ Raven's Claw
- ^ History of Raven's Claw
- ^ Dickinson College - The Dickinsonian
- ^ Merkel Landis from NY Times
- ^ Waidner Recognized as one of America's Most Generous Donors
- ^ Dickinson Named Beneficiary in Waidner Trust
- ^ Barclays Capital
- ^ George Hager, Genesis Healthcare
- ^ Stafford recognized as a Great American Business Leader of the 20th Century
- ^ Dickinson Receives Multi-Million Dollar Gift From Raven's Claw Member
- ^ Gary A. Poliner Executive Profile
- ^ The opening bell at the NYSE signals the start of a good day for Doug Pauls ’80
- ^ Abram Bosler
- ^ Dave Freysinger, Reliant Energy
- ^ Kyle Miller: Executive Profile & Biography - BusinessWeek
- ^ 
- ^ www.extensisgroup.com
- ^ Remembering a Former Trustee and Television Pioneer
- ^ Cavs.com’s Exclusive Interview with LeBron James, Agent Leon Rose, and Cavs’ GM Danny Ferry
- ^ John Griesemer Author Profile
- ^ Griesemer from IMDB
- ^ Henry Boye Named Publisher of Harvard Business Review
- ^ Byron Quann-Whitaker CEO
- ^ Hugh B. Woodward Biography
- ^ Witwer Hall, Dickinson College
- ^ Quest for a Constitution: A Man Who Wouldn't Quit : A Political Biography of Samuel Witwer of Illinois
- ^ National Lime Association
- ^ Robert Elmer Woodside, 1904-1998
- ^ John D. Hopper - Dickinson Chronicles
- ^ The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Legislative Journal, June 26, 1996 (Page 8)
- ^ Henri Rauschenbach of Massachusetts
- ^ Dallas Winslow
- ^ Gerlach For PA
- ^ Exhibit of Governors' Portraits in the Governor's Reception Room, Maryland State House
- ^ Politics Magazine Names Bernstein ‘Rising Star'
- ^ Law Offices of Dennis J. Crawford
- ^ JAMES A. KENNEY III, Judge, Court of Special Appeals
- ^ Dickinson College - Commencement
- ^ Gobrecht Receives Distinguished Dickinson Alumnus Award
- ^ "Goby" Recognized for Service
- ^ Dave Webster, Claw of 1988
- ^ Bernie Driscoll
- ^ Jim Engles, NJIT
- ^ Obituary for Peter J. Sivess
- ^ Steve Hoffman, Kansas City Chiefs
- ^ Steve Hoffman, Miami Dolphins
- ^ Boyd Lee Spahr, Class of 1900
- ^ Boyd Lee Spahr Library
- ^ Don W. Llewellyn, Dean of Legal Studies
- ^ 2004 DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD
- ^ Dr. Edward Polloway
- ^ President Gilbert Malcolm
- ^ Stephen A. Saltzburg
- ^ Benjamin D. James