Rastatt [ˈʁaʃtat] (in German Barock- und Residenzstadt Rastatt) is a city and baroque residence in the District of Rastatt, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is located on the Murg river, 6 km (3.7 mi) above its junction with the Rhine and has a population of around 50'000 (2011). Rastatt was an important place of the War of the Spanish Succession (Treaty of Rastatt) and the Revolutions of 1848 in the German states.
Until the end of the 17th century, Rastatt held little influence, but after its destruction by the French in 1689, it was rebuilt on a larger scale by Louis William, margrave of Baden, the imperial general in the Austro-Ottoman War known popularly as Türkenlouis. It then remained the residence of the margraves of Baden-Baden until 1771. For about 20 years previous to 1866, the fortress of Rastatt was occupied by the troops of the German Confederation. The Baden revolution of 1849 began with a mutiny of soldiers at Rastatt in May 1849 under Ludwik Mieroslawski and Gustav Struve, and ended there a few weeks later with the capture of the town by the Prussians. (See The Revolutions of 1848 in the German states and History of Baden.) For some years, Rastatt was one of the strongest fortresses of the German empire, but its fortifications were dismantled in 1890.
It was the location of the First and Second Congress of Rastatt, the former giving rise to the Treaty of Rastatt.
The first German record of the Asian Tiger Mosquito (Aedes albopictus), a vector of chikungunya and dengue fever, was documented in September 2007 near Rastatt.
Rastatt and the surrounding area is home to a variety of historical buildings, includes palaces and castles such as Schloss Rastatt and Schloss Favorite
Rastatt is twinned with: