From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
It was part of the Chain Home radar network, intended to provide long range early warning for raids from Luftflotte V and the northern elements of Luftflotte II along the approaches to Sheffield and Nottingham and the central midlands.
After the Second World War, the site was retained as part of the Chain Home network. In 1959 it was upgraded to a communications relay site as part of the ACE High program, which involved adding four tropospheric scatter dishes.
The site was decommissioned in the late 1980s and was mostly demolished by 1996.
The radar tower is a Grade II listed structure and is now used by the RAF Aerial Erector School for selection tests for possible recruits.
There is a Memorial at the top to a former RAF Aerial Erector.