Puthuppally (Malayalam:പുതുപ്പള്ളി) Puthupally is situated 8 km south of Kottayam town encircled by rivers, paddy fields and hills having a 30000 + population of various cast and creeds. It is surrounded by various Karas (principalities) Kadamuri, Erikadu, Vennimala Meenadom, Manganam, Eravinallore and Thrukothamangalam. The place is famous for temples and churches and political, social and cultural activities. PuthiyaTrikkovil Shiva temple is one of the oldest Shiva temples of South India which depicts Lord Shiva in the Kirata (Hunter) form. It is one of the rare temples having a Jaladhara Prathista. Puthuppally is also famous for a Christian church, St. George Orthodox Church renowned as Puthuppally Pally which is believed to be built around seventeenth century.This church situated on the eastern bank of the Kodoor River about a kilometer away from Puthuppally junction. There is another church, St.George Syrian Orthodox (Jacobite) Patriarchel Church situated on the western banks of the river.
Spices like cloves, pepper, ginger and coconut are grown in abundance. The presence of The Rubber Board of India in this area accounts for the higher density of rubber cultivation in this area. The toddy extraction and river fishing is another source of income for the people.
- Shadkala Govinda Marar, a famous musician, lived here Vennimala. Vennimala was a major cultural centre during the rule of Venad Kings.
- Puthuppally Hindu Mahasammelan (Started in 1996)A Hindu convention with a structure similar to the Cherukolpuzha Hindumatha Parishad. It is conducted every year during the summer vacation
- Puthuppally Ecumenical Fellowship celebrates Christmas every year at the Govt. Boys High School/Higher Secondary Ground, from 1982 onwards. This event is a social gathering of all kinds of people of the place.
'The Puthuppally Firing' (Puthuppally Vediveyppu) during the Indian Freedom Struggle is one of the important historical events related to this place. One person got martyred in the Firing. In a late afternoon Maveli Kochu a youth was on his way to the native ball playground unaware of the happenings. A stray bullet hit him in his navel and he died on the spot.
Puthupally is the strong hold of INC.
Puthuppally assembly constituency is part of Kottayam (Lok Sabha constituency). The Chief Minister of Kerala Sri Oommen Chandy, is representing the Puthuppally Legislative Constituency since 1970
Puthuppally is famous for the native ball play. A ball which is made of leather is used. It is generally referred as Naadan panthu kali or tukal panthu Kali. Kerala Native Ball Association's office is located in Puthuppally. This traditional game is facing a slow death as the new generation not finding it very attractive. Usually the game is played on leveled grounds and non availability of play ground also accounts for the so called slow death.
Naadan Panthu kali competition was last held at Puthuppally during February 2012.
- Govt. Boys High School
- St. George Girls High School
- Technical Higher Secondary School and College of Applied Science, Payyappaddy
- Don Bosco English Higher Seconary School
- Nursing College, Thalappady
- V.J.O.M UP School, Near Siva temple
- Kairaly Nursery School
- Alfa School of Fine Arts
- Don Bosco C.B.S.E School
- IPC Kottayam Theological Seminary
- Dr.E C G Sudarshan - Scientist ( Quantum Optics)
- Oommen Chandy - Current Chief Minister of Kerala, India.
- M. Ipe - Scholar / Author
- Kizhakkel Kochayan - Astrologist
- Vettom Mani - Scholar / Author on Indian Puranas
- C J Roy - Former Vice Chancellor
- Paret Mar Ivanios Hospital
- Radha Theater was a theater in Puthuppally.
- Madhyavarjana Prasthanam (Alcoholic Anonymous) have a strong base in Puthuppally.
- Y M C A Library & Reading Room is the library in the locality. Its at Kanjirathummoodu.
Churches in Puthuppally
- St. George Orthodox Church (Puthuppally Pally)
- St. Gregorius Orthodox Church , Kumarankode
- St.George Syrian Orthodox (Jacobite) Patriarchel Church
- Nilackal Orthodox Church
- St. James C.S.I Church Ericadu
- Horeb Marthoma Church
- The Pentecostal Mission
- The Indian Pentecostal Church of God, Eben-Ezer Church (Othera Church)
- Assemblies of God Church (Near Kannukuzhy Bridge)
- Agape Church of God Full Gospel Church, Thachukunnu
- State Bank of Travancore
- Adhyapaka Co-Opt Bank
- Federal Bank of India
- Urban Bank
- Axis Bank ( ATM only)
|Puthuppally in Pictures|
|[[|center|border|160x130px|alt=Puthuppally Junction.|Puthuppally Junction. ]]|