Pricetown is an unincorporated community in eastern Salem Township, Highland County, Ohio, United States. It was platted by Elijah, David and Jane Faris, along with Alexander Murphy on April 13, 1847 and named for Common Pleas Judge J.W. Price of Hillsboro. A post office was opened in 1849. C.P. Donohoo was the first postmaster. The first store in Salem Township was opened by Abram Welty in 1848 on a spot that became the center of the village. Dr. Curp was the first physician. Mark Wallingford opened the first hotel in 1850. Highland County deed records show that on September 11, 1875, the estate of James C. Donohoo sold an inlot in Pricetown to township trustees Robert Ballentine, John M. Perry, and Henry C. Cochran for the sum of $40.00. It was on this lot that a new structure was erected which served as the township house, community center, barber shop, farmer's institute hall, and lodge hall. The Pricetown lodge of IOOF was instituted by W.C. Earle on June 22, 1875. There were 16 charter members. At the turn of the 19th/20th centuries Pricetown was a bustling community with two hotels, three stores, and nearby mills. Early history writers consistently make reference to the substantial number of teachers and educators who grew up in Pricetown and Salem Township. Its mail service is from Lynchburg. The community is on State Route 131 near the headwaters of the Oak Creek.
Pricetown community sign.
Looking west on Ohio Highway 131 at the intersection of Ruble Cemetery Road (left) and North Fork Road (right) in Pricetown, Ohio.