This article is about the isometric exercise for the abdominal muscles. For the lying down game, see planking (fad)
The plank (also called a front hold, hover, or abdominal bridge) is an isometric core strength exercise that involves maintaining a difficult position for extended periods of time. The most common plank is the front plank which is held in a push-up position with the body's weight borne on forearms, elbows, and toes.
Many variations exist such as the side plank and the reverse plank. The plank is commonly practiced in pilates and yoga, and by those training for boxing and other sports.
The plank strengthens the abdominals, back, and shoulders. Muscles involved in the front plank include:
- Primary muscles: erector spinae, rectus abdominis (abs), and transverse abdominus.
- Secondary muscles (synergists/segmental stabilizers): trapezius (traps), rhomboids, rotator cuff, the anterior, medial, and posterior deltoid muscles (delts), pectorals (pecs), serratus anterior, gluteus maximus (glutes), quadriceps (quads), and gastrocnemius.
Muscles involved in the side plank include:
The current world record (according to Guinness World Records) for the plank position is 1 hour 20 minutes and 5.01 seconds, set in Naperville, IL on 3 December 2011 by 54 year old George Hood.
- ^ Knack Weight Training for Women: Step-by-Step Exercises for Weight Loss, Leah Garcia. pp. 57. quote:"Plank variations are abundant, and small changes increase the intensity of the exercise."
- ^ Weight Training for Dummies, Liz Neporent, Suzanne Schlosberg, Shirley J. Archer. pp.263.
- ^ Core Strength For Dummies, LaReine Chabut. Quote:"It's used in all yoga sun salutations and other poses. It is also a Pilates-based exercise used in many of Joseph Pilates exercises..."
- ^ Pocket Guide to Fitness Louiza Patsis. pp.176. quote:"The "plank exercise" is used in Pilates classes."
- ^ Kettlebells for Dummies, Sarah Lurie. pp.260. quote:"If you've done other exercises like yoga or Pilates before, you may be familiar with the plank position already."
- ^ The Ultimate Fitness Boxing & Kickboxing Workout, Ross O'Donnell, Trafford Publishing, 2005, ISBN 978-1-4120-6451-4
- ^ a b Front-plank, American Council on Exercise.
- ^ a b "Side plank with straight leg". American Council on Exercise. http://www.acefitness.org/exerciselibrary/101/.
- ^ "Guinness world record for plank.". Dec 3 2011. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-8000/longest-time-in-an-abdominal-plank-position/.