From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Placedo is an unincorporated community in Victoria County, Texas, United States. According to the Handbook of Texas, the community had an estimated population of 760 in 2000. It is part of the Victoria, Texas Metropolitan Statistical Area.
A settlement has existed at the site since the Republic of Texas era. The community is named for Plácido Benavides, a participant and organizer of volunteer troops in the Texas Revolution, and an early settler who established a ranch in the area during the 1830s. The San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railroad established a station at Placedo in 1860. In 1906, the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway crossed the old line and renamed the station Placedo Junction. Placedo was platted in 1910 and infrastructure improvements, including sidewalks and gutters, were added. By 1920, the community had a population of 300 with a bank, school, and several businesses. Much of the community was damaged during a 1925 hurricane and the population didn't begin to recover until the mid-1930s. In the following years, Placedo's population fluctuated from 400 in the 1940s to 220 in 1949, and rose to 480 by the mid-1960s and 515 a decade later. The number of inhabitants remained at that level until 2000, when an estimated 760 people were living in the community.
Although it is unincorporated, Placedo has a post office, with the ZIP code of 77977.
Public education in the community of Placedo is provided by the Bloomington Independent School District. The district has four schools, one of which is located in Placedo. Placedo Elementary School serves Bloomington ISD students in grades four, five, and six.