Pitman Grove, is located in Pitman, Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 19, 1977. The Pitman Grove Area is on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places. It developed from a summer camp meeting at the turn of the century. In the center of the Grove area is the Camp Meeting Auditorium which was built in 1882 and recently renovated by the Borough. This historic building was once the center of Methodist worship. People came from far away for revival meetings at the Auditorium; the first such meeting was held in 1871.
There are 12 "avenues", number 1 through 12 representing the disciples of Christ, that are joined to the auditorium as spokes on the hub of a wheel. There is a spot in the tabernacle where you can stand and look down all 12 avenues. Eventually small cottages were built on these avenues and this was the origin of the town. Today the "avenues" are actually narrow sidewalks. In 1905, Pitman Grove became the Borough of Pitman. Back then, Pitman was known as a place with no mosquitoes, no malaria and no saloons. To this day, Pitman is a dry town with no liquor stores and no liquor licenses issued.