Pernes, Pas-de-Calais

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article

Pernes

Pernes is located in France
Pernes
Administration
CountryFrance
RegionNord-Pas-de-Calais
DepartmentPas-de-Calais
ArrondissementArras
CantonHeuchin
IntercommunalityPernois
MayorJean-Marie Olivier
(2008–2014)
Statistics
Elevation70–182 m (230–597 ft)
(avg. 83 m or 272 ft)
Land area14.58 km2 (1.77 sq mi)
Population21,690  (2006)
 - Density369 /km2 (960 /sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code62652/ 62550
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.
2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
 
Jump to: navigation, search

Pernes

Pernes is located in France
Pernes
Administration
CountryFrance
RegionNord-Pas-de-Calais
DepartmentPas-de-Calais
ArrondissementArras
CantonHeuchin
IntercommunalityPernois
MayorJean-Marie Olivier
(2008–2014)
Statistics
Elevation70–182 m (230–597 ft)
(avg. 83 m or 272 ft)
Land area14.58 km2 (1.77 sq mi)
Population21,690  (2006)
 - Density369 /km2 (960 /sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code62652/ 62550
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.
2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Coordinates: 50°29′06″N 2°24′41″E / 50.485°N 2.4114°E / 50.485; 2.4114

Pernes (or Pernes-en-Artois ) is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Contents

Geography and Access

Pernes lies halfway between Saint-Pol-sur-Ternoise and Lillers, on the junction of the D70 and D916 roads. It is crossed by the river Clarence, the source of which is in the neighbouring village of Sains-lès-Pernes, at a place known as "Le Buich".

The town can be accessed by SNCF TER (Regional Express Train) services to Pernes-Camblain station, with connections to Calais, Boulogne-Sur-Mer, and Lille.

History

Of Roman origin, written evidence of the existence of Pernes dates back to around 823. The town depended on the wealthy Abbey of Saint-Riquier. Because of countless invasions, the town's defenses were strengthened over centuries into a true fortress. The Lords of the Manor built an impregnable castle on a mound surrounded by marshland. As with many French towns in the Middle Ages, Pernes was governed feudally by a succession of lords. The first of these authorities were the Counts of St. Pol. In 1569, they were still the masters of the castle, mill, gardens, marshes and all important buildings within their jurisdiction.

In 1627, the domain and the barony were sold to François of Cuinchy. His son, in debt, had to yield it to his creditor, Pierre de Predhomme d'Hailly, in 1648. The town remained under the management of the Cuinchy family until the line died out, in 1772. Afterwards, the lordship passed to the count of Wassier. In spite of the emigration of the count abroad, in 1792, the French Revolution did not strip the family of their property rights, as they were of Belgian nationality.

In 1520, the town was host to Francis I, as he prepared for his battle with Henry VIII, that resulted in the Field of the Cloth of Gold .

Population

Population history
1962196819751982199019992006
1657169616531516153616281690
Census count starting from 1962: Population without duplicates

Places of interest

See also

References

External links