|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009) |
Paran (Hebrew: פָּארָן) is a small moshav in the Arabah valley in southern Israel. Located around 100 km north of Eilat, it falls under the jurisdiction of Central Arava Regional Council. In 2009 it had a population of around 100 families.
The moshav is named after the Bible (Genesis 21:20-21): "And God was with the lad, and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. And he dwelt in the wilderness of Paran. And his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt."
Each of the family farm units covers 50 dunams (50,000 m²). The main crops are high quality peppers and flowers for export. In addition, 14 of the families run a cowshed of 40-45 dairy cows each. Among the smaller farm branches are a date palm orchard and turkey production.
Some families supplement their income with other activities such as a horseback riding school, a nursery for vegetable and flower seedlings, cottage industries producing arts and crafts articles, and jeep tours.
In 2008 new rules in Israel made solar power profitable
. Some families started to produce electricity (commercially) from 50 kWp photovoltaic power plants (per family), "enjoying" high Daily Solar Radiation and dry weather.
The moshav offers its members a variety of community services including a kindergarten, nursery, members' club, youth club, swimming pool, garage, exercise room, lush public gardens and a well-stocked library.
- ^ Bitan, Hanna: 1948-1998: Fifty Years of 'Hityashvut': Atlas of Names of Settlements in Israel, Jeruusalem 1999, Carta, p.56, ISBN 965-220-423-4 (Hebrew)