From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
The complex was built in 1934 as NS-Ordensburg Sonthofen by the German Labour Front (Deutsche Arbeitsfront) for the NSDAP.
Three NS-Ordensburgen existed:
It was designed by architect Hermann Giesler. It served as Adolf-Hitler-School for the education of party cadres. The internationally known actor Hardy Krüger attended this school. In the last year of the war it was used as sickbay.
Commander of the Ordensburg was the Reichstag deputy Robert Bauer (NSDAP) from 1936 to 1941.
In November 1937 Adolf Hitler visited the Ordensburg Sonthofen.
After the war French troops first took over the Castle. Later the US Army located the training center for the US-Constabulary force there.
The Generaloberst-Beck-Kaserne hosted schools of the Bundeswehr (Military Police (Feldjäger) and Staff Service). In 2009 the Bundeswehr transferred these schools to the Emmich-Cambrai-Kaserne in Hannover. Two other bases were then closed and their personnel moved to Sonthofen.
Today the facility is protected as a historic site.