Ojuelos de Jalisco is a colonial town and municipality in the state of Jalisco, Mexico. The town's 1990 population was 7,265, although by the year 2000 it had increased to 9,338. It sits at the junction of Mexico Highways 51, 70, and 80. The town was founded by Spanish conquistador Pedro Casillas de Avila in 1569, as a fortification to protect travelers against the Chichimecas warriors.
The fortification of Ojuelos was one of the seven ones built at the request of the Vice King Martín Enriquez de Almanza in the important route Mexico-Zacatecas. The decision to build the seven fortifications was made by Enriquez de Almanza in response to deadly attacks made by Chichimecas commanded by their legendary leader Maxorro.
Ojuelos has a significant historical value, since its fortification is the only one which has survived to present day. Currently, it houses the offices of the City Hall and a Library, but still it keeps its original design.
Among other touristic attractions, Ojuelos also has a plaza, El Parian, which is surrounded by 102 Gothic arches. El Parian was designed at the end of the 19th century by Luis G. Maciel.