|Single by Christina Aguilera|
|from the album Back to Basics|
|Released||November 6, 2007|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Writer(s)||Christina Aguilera, Derryck Thornton, Mark Rankin, Liz Thornton, Kara DioGuardi, Bruno Coulais, Christophe Barratier|
|Producer||Big Tank, Q, L Boggie (co-production), Aguilera (additional production)|
|Christina Aguilera singles chronology|
"Oh Mother" is a song by American recording artist Christina Aguilera from her fifth studio album, Back to Basics (2006). RCA Records released it as the album's fifth and last single on October 8, 2007. It was written by Aguilera, Christophe Barratier, Bruno Coulais and Kara DioGuardi and produced by Aguilera, Big Tank, L Boogie.
"Oh Mother"was released in selected European countries, the song did not have much promotion aside from the Back to Basics Tour but managed to enter the charts with moderate success, peaking in Germany at number 18. No actual music video was filmed, but a live clip from the Back to Basics Tour DVD was used as the music video.
Background and composition
The song was written about Aguilera's mother's abusive relationship with her husband, Fausto Aguilera. The single contains elements of the song "Vois Sur Ton Chemin" written by Bruno Coulais, which appeared in the 2004 film The Chorus. It was produced by Big Tank, L Boogie, and Aguilera herself. "Oh Mother" is a moderately slow song written in the key of C♯ minor. Its instrumentation comes from guitar, keyboards, piano, and strings. The vocal range spans 2 octaves from the "E3" below middle to the "E5" above middle.
The single was released as the fourth single in selected European countries while Slow Down Baby was released as the fourth single in Oceania. The release was set on November 23, 2007 in Germany and Austria. In Switzerland, the single charted for four weeks based solely on downloads. On December 8, 2007 it was added to the A-Playlist of BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom and was released as digital download on December 31, 2007.
In Austria the single peaked at number 23 and spent 9 weeks on the Singles Chart in total. In the Netherlands the song peaked at number 54 where it spent one week, in total it spent 6 weeks on the chart. In Germany the track was fairly successful after spending 10 weeks on the chart, the singles peaked at number 18 on its first entry into the chart and in then fell to number 24 however it did raise from number 23 after its peak. In Switzerland the track spent 5 weeks on the Singles Chart peaking at number 79.
The video premiered and received its first official airing on the German music television channel VIVA. It has been taken from the live DVD of the Back to Basics Tour and features Aguilera singing and clips from the backdrop used during the tour.
"Oh Mother" was performed and included on the set list for n the Back to Basics Tour. The performance from the tour is included on the video release Back to Basics: Live and Down Under (2008).. Aguilera first performed the song during a concert held in front of 1,500 fans and invited guests in London on July 20, 2006. The 40-minute concert comprised songs from the then-upcoming Back to Basics and other songs, including "Lady Marmalade" (2001) and "Beautiful" (2002). The song was also performed along side a few other songs on MTV Live Special in 2006.
- Maxi basic
- "Oh Mother" (Album Version) – 3:45
- "Oh Mother" (Instrumental) – 3:45
- Maxi premium
- "Oh Mother" – 3:45
- "Oh Mother" (Instrumental) – 3:45
- "Ain't No Other Man" (Back to Basics Live in London) – 4:03
- "Candyman" (Back to Basics Live in London) – 3:22
- ^ Ascap entry for song ASCAP, accessed December 3, 2010
- ^ "Christina Aguilera - Digital Sheet Music: Oh Mother". Musicnotes, Inc.. Hal Leonard Corporation. http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/scorch.asp?ppn=SC0041326. Retrieved 2007-12-25.
- ^ Back to Basics - CD booklet. RCA Records. 2006.
- ^ "Ring In The New Year With Christina". Christina Music. November 29, 2007. http://www.christinamusic.co.uk/www/news_view.php?content_id=87. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- ^ http://www.austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=Christina+Aguilera&titel=Oh+Mother&cat=s
- ^ http://www.dutchcharts.nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Christina+Aguilera&titel=Oh+Mother&cat=s
- ^ http://musicline.de/de/chartverfolgung_summary/title/Aguilera%2CChristina/Oh+Mother%A5premium/single
- ^ http://www.swisscharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Christina+Aguilera&titel=Oh+Mother&cat=s
- ^ "VIVA NEU". VIVA. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. http://web.archive.org/web/20080822125343/http://www.viva.tv/TV/ShowDetail/id/5474. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- ^ "Christina Aguilera – Back to Basics: Live and Down Under DVD". RCA Records. http://www.rca-records.co.uk/releases/album/christina_aguilera/back_to_basics_live_and_down_under_dvd/. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- ^ Smyth, David (July 21, 2006). "What a night, Christina". Evening Standard (Alexander Lebedev / Evgeny Lebedev / Daily Mail and General Trust). http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/review-23215240-what-a-night-christina.do. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- ^ "Christina Gets Burlesque at Koko". MTV UK. Viacom. August 1, 2006. http://www.mtv.co.uk/news/christina-aguilera/39207-christina-gets-burlesque-at-koko. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- ^ "Christina Aguilera – Oh Mother – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Christina Aguilera Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Christina Aguilera. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – Christina Aguilera – Oh Mother" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100. Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- ^ "Christina Aguilera – Oh Mother – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart. Hung Medien.
- ^ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oh-Mother-Christina-Aguilera/dp/B000V9M0NA/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1338065169&sr=8-29
- ^ http://www.amazon.fr/Oh-Mother-Barrattier-Christophe/dp/B000V9M0NA/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1338065268&sr=8-30
- ^ http://itunes.apple.com/de/album/oh-mother-single/id268323446
- ^ http://www.amazon.de/Oh-Mother-Basic-Christina-Aguilera/dp/B000WM8NEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338065023&sr=8-1
- ^ http://www.amazon.de/Oh-Mother-Premium-Christina-Aguilera/dp/B000XTCGW8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338065023&sr=8-3