From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
|North Georgia College and State University|
|Motto||Truth and Wisdom|
|Location||Dahlonega, Georgia, U.S.|
|Campus||Rural; 112 acres (Main Campus); 722 acres (Total)|
|Colors||Blue and White|
|Affiliations||NCAA Division II, Peach Belt Conference|
|North Georgia College and State University|
|Motto||Truth and Wisdom|
|Location||Dahlonega, Georgia, U.S.|
|Campus||Rural; 112 acres (Main Campus); 722 acres (Total)|
|Colors||Blue and White|
|Affiliations||NCAA Division II, Peach Belt Conference|
North Georgia College and State University was a 4-year university located in Dahlonega, Georgia. Founded as North Georgia Agricultural College in 1873, it was the second oldest public institution of higher education in the state until its consolidation, the first being the University of Georgia. The university was renowned for its ROTC program, and was designated as The Military College of Georgia. It was also designated by the University System of Georgia as a state leadership institution. It was one of only six senior military colleges in the United States.
On January 10, 2012, the Georgia Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia approved the consolidation of North Georgia College and State University with Gainesville State College by January 2013 to form a new institution; the University of North Georgia.
NGCSU was founded as an agricultural branch of the University of Georgia in 1873, which was made possible by the Morrill Act and the efforts of William Pierce Price. Its first graduating class in 1879 consisted of three men and one woman, making it the first public college in the state to award a degree to a woman. In 1929, its agriculture program was dropped and the name was changed to North Georgia College. The school received the designation of state university in 1996. Protesting alumni were successful in keeping the word "college" in the name after they became upset when the name North Georgia State University was suggested.
North Georgia's former campus is nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains just south of the terminus of the Appalachian Trail. Campus buildings are located around the drill field which is used by the military for drill and training, recreation for students and intramural sports. As a sign of respect students do not take short cuts across the field from the dorms and barracks to the academic buildings. The main administrative building, Price Memorial Hall, is named in honor of founder William Pierce Price. It is built on the foundations of the mint that was established in Dahlonega during the gold rush. Its spire was gold leafed in 1973 from local gold as was the Georgia State Capitol in Atlanta.
The university consisted of 4 colleges and awards over 50 degrees including in teacher education, nursing, pre-med, and military programs. In 2012, U.S. News & World Report ranked the university 53rd in the "Regional University (South)" category. G.I. Jobs magazine listed the university as a 2013 "Military Friendly School".
North Georgia College & State University began as a branch of the Georgia College of Agriculture and Mechanical which was created by the University of Georgia (UGA) in 1873 from funds from the Morrill Act. William Pierce Price, a local congressman, persuaded officials at UGA to use part of the funds to establish a branch of the newly created college in Dahlonega, Georgia, Price's birthplace and home. The college opened classes in 1873 with 177 students, 98 males and 79 females, making it the first coeducational college in the state. Classes were originally held in the old U.S. mint building that was shut down during the Civil War. After the college was awarded the power to grant degrees in 1876, the first graduating class received degrees in 1879. The first graduating class of four consisted of three men and one woman, making North Georgia the first public institution in the state to award a degree to a female.
The college had always had a military presence, since land-grant schools were required to teach military tactics, but it was not until World War I when the military programs began to grow. The National Defense Act of 1916 that created the ROTC also helped establish the military presence that is felt on the campus today. In 1929 the designation of Agricultural was dropped from the name and the school became North Georgia College. By 1932 the college was reduced to a two-year junior college. World War II saw a decline in enrollment because of the number of male students joining the war effort. This changed when an Army Specialized Training Program was placed at the college to train junior officers. After the war the college grew because of young servicemen and veterans using their GI bill benefits to attend school. By 1946 the college was reinstated as a four-year college. In the 1950s, Dahlonega provided gold for the leafing of the capitol building. It was also at this time that similar efforts to gold leaf Price Memorial Hall were begun, a project that did not see fruition until 1973.
On January 10, 2012, the University System of Georgia approved the consolidation of North Georgia College and State University with Gainesville State College to form a new institution, the University of North Georgia in January 2013.
North Georgia had four schools:
The Mike Cottrell School of Business offered degrees in business administration. Undergraduate students can major in accounting, finance, management, and marketing.
The School of Education offered certifications in teaching and education degrees to students. Certifications and degrees are awarded in early childhood/special education; middle grades education (grades 4-8); secondary education (grades 7-12) in English, history, social science, mathematics, and science; and P-12 certification in art, music, French, physical education, and Spanish. North Georgia also offers master's of education degrees for an education specialist and teacher leadership as well as certification in administration and supervision.
The Department of English offered concentrations in writing and literature. English students have the opportunity to become certified as a teacher at the middle/secondary level. In addition, they have the opportunity to work on Mountain Laurels and Unfettered Muse, North Georgia’s literary magazines, and may work tutoring students at the Writing Center. The English Department also has a chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English honors society.
The Department of History and Philosophy offered programs leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree in history, a Bachelor of Arts in history education, and a Master of Arts (M.A.) in history. The department also offers a minor in philosophy. Students can also join Phi Alpha Theta, the national honors society for history.
The Department of Performing Arts offered a Bachelor of Arts in music and a Bachelor of Science in music education, as well as a minor in theater. The department offers a full range of music courses, including a symphonic band, a military band, jazz ensembles, a symphony orchestra, several choirs, and chamber ensembles.
The Department of Psychology and Sociology offered a Bachelor of Science degree in both psychology and sociology, a master's degree in community counseling, and minors in psychology and sociology. The department also has a chapter of Psi Chi, the national psychology honors society, and Alpha Kappa Delta, the international sociology honors society.
There were also opportunities to earn a minor in gender studies and complete a certification program in gerontology. The gender studies minor program was instituted in 2006, after the faculty self-organized numerous Women and Leadership conferences, committees and lectures. The program offers courses in sex, gender, and sexuality concentrated into the literature, history, sociology, psychology, criminal justice, political science, and nursing programs. The gerontology program has been offered for the last six years at North Georgia. North Georgia is a part of the Georgia Gerontology Consortium through a distance learning partnership. North Georgia offers undergraduate and graduate courses in gerontology. The program aims to provide an introduction to gerontology theory, application, and research, clinical internships with older adults, and to provide public service programs to meet educational, professional, and community needs.
The Department of Modern Languages prepared students to communicate in a multi-lingual world. The department currently offers majors, minors, and coursework in seven modern languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Korean, Russian, and Spanish. In addition, there are education and business concentrations offered within the programs of study. There are many study abroad opportunities for students, including an exchange program with various Chinese universities, French programs in Quebec City, Quebec at the Université Laval and the Centre d’Etudes Franco-Américain in Lisieux, France, a German immersion program in Bonn, Germany, and a Spanish study abroad program in Santander, Spain. On campus, students of modern languages can take advantage of the 50-seat language lab to further their study and knowledge of their language of choice, and can take part in summer immersion camps in Spanish, and Chinese as well as Foreign Language Day, where North Georgia hosts high school competitions in foreign language.
The Department of Political Science and Criminal Justice offered various programs. Within political science, there were offerings in American politics, international relations, and pre-law. The department focuses mainly on political institutions (presidency, Congress, and courts), public administration, and international relations dealing with Asian, Latin American, and Western European politics. The department also offers a European Union certification and an international affairs degree, which provides students with an introduction to international relations. The department also offers a Bachelor of Science degree in criminal justice. Honor students are invited to membership in Alpha Phi Sigma (national criminal-justice honor society) and Pi Sigma Alpha (national political-science honor society).
The Department of Visual Arts (DoVA) offered a Bachelor of Arts degree in studio art, a Bachelor of Arts degree in art with concentration in film studies, and Bachelor of Science degrees in art marketing, and art education. DoVA also offers minors in graphic design, studio art, and art history. The department offers courses in art education, art history, ceramics, drawing, film, graphic design, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, textile design, and weaving.
The School of Science and Health Professions offered degrees in mathematics, computer science, biology, chemistry, physics, and nursing.
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science offered programs of study leading to the Bachelor of Science degree with majors in mathematics, secondary education certification in mathematics, computer science, and computer information systems. In addition to the Bachelor of Science, North Georgia College & State University offered a Master's of Education in Mathematics Education. Math/CS students were offered many opportunities, including specialized computer labs and the MATH/CS Tutorial Center, which is staffed by qualified student tutors.
The Department of Biology offered programs of study leading to the Bachelor of Science degree with majors in biology and biology education. Furthermore, the department advised students who wished to apply to professional programs such as medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, physical therapy, physicians' assistants, and respiratory therapy.
The Department of Chemistry offered degrees in chemistry and chemistry education. The department also advised students who wish to pursue professional degree in the fields of pharmacy, medicine, dentistry, and optometry.
The Department of Physical Therapy offered a Doctorate of Physical Therapy degree.
The Department of Physics offered a Bachelor of Science degree in physics as well as a minor in physics. The department also offered a joint partnership with Georgia Tech, Clemson University, and Mercer University that offers students the option to receive a dual degree in both physics (from North Georgia) and an engineering degree from the school of his/her choice.
The Department of Nursing was founded in 1974, with the Associate of Science degree in nursing program. The department continued to grow with the addition of the Bachelor of Science degree in nursing program. There were additional "satellite programs" offered in Cumming and Gainesville, and an LPN/RN Bridge program. In 1998, the Master of Science/Family Nurse Practitioner Program was founded and in 2006, the Master of Science in Nursing Education was instituted.
North Georgia's faculty considered recognition of honor students to be well-deserved and, therefore, an essential function of the university. Accordingly, 21 honor-society organizations—19 of which are chapters of national and international honor societies and 14 of which are affiliated with the national Association of College Honor Societies—were active at the university, and initiated accomplished students to membership.
The 21 honor-society organizations are:
North Georgia's sports teams, athletically known as the Nighthawks, are members of the NCAA Division II level, primarily competing in the Peach Belt Conference which it joined in 2005. But prior joining NCAA Division II, North Georgia formerly competed in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Southern States Athletic Conference (SSAC) from 1999 to 2005. North Georgia fielded men's and women's teams in basketball, golf, tennis, soccer, baseball, and softball. When the college began intercollegiate sports competition the teams were known as The Cadets and when the school first fielded a women's basketball team they were known as the Golddiggers. Men's and women's teams were previously known as the Saints and Lady Saints. The Saint mascot was adopted in the 1970s when a professor bought a Saint Bernard dog to bring to basketball games.
Softball: The Lady Saints finished the 2009 season with an overall record of 50-5. The Lady Saints rode a 27 game win streak and a #1 ranking for a large part of the season and into the Division II World Series. They were defeated in the Championship by the #2 ranked Lock Haven University Bald Eagles.
Students at UNG may also participated in the many club and intramural sports offered at the college. Club sports at UNG practiced and played against other universities. Club sports at UNG included wrestling, cycling, rugby union, and ultimate frisbee. The intramural sports program at UNG provided students with the chance to play sports recreationally. Intramural sports at UNG included 3v3 basketball, cornhole, flag football, basketball, indoor volleyball, dodgeball, recreational soccer, innertube water polo, sand volleyball, softball, ultimate frisbee, table tennis/horse, and whiffleball.
Many students at North Georgia chose to attend because of its location and programs. North Georgia's campus is located approximately an hour's drive to downtown Atlanta (66 miles (106 km) away), an hour and half drive to downtown Athens (60 miles (97 km) away), a two hours and fifteen minutes drive to Chattanooga, Tennessee (109 miles (175 km) away), and an approximately two hours and twenty minutes drive to Greenville, South Carolina (127 miles (204 km) away). Situated in the small town of Dahlonega, students also enjoyed local shopping, restaurants, and festivals. Only a short distance away from the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest, Chattahoochee River, Chestatee River, Etowah River, and Lake Lanier, many waterfalls make it the ideal location for outdoor enthusiasts.
At the time of its consolidation, the student ratio was about 60% female to 40% male. Over 900 military cadets lived on campus and attended classes in full uniform. Cadets at North Georgia learned how to function within a military organization while maintaining a strong connection with civilian life, a skill set that enabled them to succeed as commissioned officers. It is not uncommon to hear the mottos of the specialty corps units being yelled on walks to and from class, or see the cadets on marches throughout the campus.
Until the fall of 2008, all male students that lived on campus were required to participate in the ROTC program. This policy was changed to avoid legal ramifications from Title IX legislation, that all students must be provided equal programs regardless of sex. The rule change and the proximity of the school to U.S. Route 19, which runs concurrently to Georgia State Route 400, Georgia State Route 60, and Georgia State Route 9 led to a large commuter population. Some commuters lived within walking distance of campus while others lived up to the maximum of 50 miles (80 km) away from campus.
SGA was a group of students that are elected by the student body. They served as meditators between the faculty and the students. They main function of SGA was to allocate funds to student organizations.
SAB was one of the most diverse organizations on campus run by elected students. SAB organizes and funds social events that help provide a release for students during the school semester. Some of the events included Spring and Fall Jam, various concerts, outdoor movies, comedians, hypnotists, speakers, holiday activities, and dances. They also published the Flush Flash, a weekly newsletter that was posted in all bathroom stalls that provides information about what's happening on campus for the week. The motto of the Flush Flash was 'Everyone knows because everyone goes'. All students were invited to weekly meetings held on Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m.
The Commuter Council was enacted to address problems and issues of North Georgia commuter students. The Commuter Council had elected voting representatives on the SGA and SAB. The Commuter Council hosted many social events such as cookouts, forums, and breakfasts that help commuter students relax and make new friends.
There were thirteen fraternities and sororities at North Georgia, offering friendship and leadership opportunities. Sororities were governed by the Panhellenic Council, which is made up of representatives from each of the five sororities on campus. The eight fraternities are governed by the Interfraternity Council (IFC).
There were several guidelines for eligibility in Greek organizations. There is no Greek housing on campus, so Greeks were required to live in university housing or commute. First year students were not eligible to participate in Greek life until they had completed 12 hours at North Georgia and had a standing 2.3 GPA (cadets were required to be off quarters to be eligible). Recruitment began in the spring semester, which afforded students the advantage of checking out sorority and fraternity open houses and functions.
Fraternities & sororities:
Greek life events throughout the year included the following: formal Rush in the spring semester (late January), spirit night competitions, and Greek Week.
There were many organizations at North Georgia, with the rugby team being among the most active and successful on campus. North Georgia Rugby Club was formed in 2006 and played a full intercollegiate schedule, with participation from both men's and women's teams. Rugby was the only contact sport at North Georgia. As with so many players worldwide, the sport of rugby prides itself on having a special culture surrounding the sports. Other general interest organizations include the Dance Team, Theater Guild, Step Team, Swim Club, Karate Club, Equestrian Club, Outdoor Club, and the newly formed Academic Team.
The heart of campus is the William J. "Lipp" Livsey Drill Field named after William J. Livsey, a North Georgia College graduate who went on to become a four-star general in the Army. The drill field separates the residence areas of campus from the academic areas. The main campus covers 120 acres (0.49 km2) just off the main square of Dahlonega, with most of that area lying in a triangle created by West Main Street, Morrison Moore Parkway, and Georgia State Route 60. Student housing consists of the 3 military residence halls: Gaillard Hall, Patriot Hall, and Liberty Hall; 2 traditional residence halls: Lewis Hall and Donovan Hall; an apartment complex: Owen Hall; and North Georgia Suites. Academic buildings include Nix Fine Arts Center, Rogers Hall, Young Hall, Health and Natural Sciences (HNS), Hansford Hall (formerly West Main Hall and The Education Building), Newton-Oakes Center (NOC), Dunlap Hall, and The Pennington Military Leadership Center. Administrative buildings include Price Memorial, Stewart Student Success Center, the Downtown Office Building, and Barnes Hall. Other buildings on campus include the Library & Technology Center, the Dining Hall, Hoag Student Center, Student Center South, and the Recreation Center (known as the RecDeck because of the parking deck below it). The athletic facilities include Memorial Hall Gymnasium, the UNG Sports Complex which contains the baseball, softball, and soccer fields, and the tennis facility located at Yahoola Creek Park. Overall the campus owns 600 acres (2.4 km2) in adjacent or nearby parks and forests which include Pine Valley Recreation Facility and the North Georgia Astronomical Observatory.
Price Memorial was the first building at The North Georgia Agriculture College when it was donated to the school in 1873 by the U.S. government. Prior to its donation to the school Price Memorial served as a mint. Five years later in December 1878 a fire devastated Price Memorial. The next year in June the architecture firm of Perkins and Bruce rebuilt the building on the original marble foundation in a blend of the Second Empire Gothic and Neoclassical Revival styles. This building was referred to as the ‘main building’ until it was named after William Pierce Price in 1908 following his death. Price was a chief contributor to the college when it first opened, donating four thousand dollars toward its founding. Today, Price Memorial houses the President’s Office, Office of the Registrar, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, and the Financial Aid office, along with many other administrative offices. Price Memorial stands as a 24,992-square-foot (2,321.8 m2) visible landmark for the college, known for its gold steeple that was leafed with Dahlonega gold in 1973; but the leaf gold was later replaced in 1985.
On the site where Young Hall is located, there had previously been a building called Bostwick Hall. Bostwick Hall was constructed in 1900, and paid for by J.H. Bostwick. Bostwick Hall was a two-story building made of brick and stucco originally built for $6,856. This building originally held the President’s office, lecture rooms, the school library, and a reading room on the ground floor. Biology, Chemistry, Geology, and Physics labs were located on the second floor. This building was destroyed in 1911 by a fire. Later, in 1939 president Jonathan Clark Rogers used resources from the PWA (Public Works Administration), part of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal program, to build a new building on the site of the old Bostwick Hall; the new structure's cost was $30,000. A plaque stating the building was built by the PWA can be found on the front right side of Young Hall. The building was then named the Stewart Library after President Joseph Spencer Stewart (1893–1903) and housed 15,000 books. After the new Stewart Library was completed in 1971, the school renamed the building after William D. Young, who served North Georgia College as dean, registrar, and an instructor of history and social science. Until 2010, Young Hall served as the main building for the History & Philosophy Department, housing history, philosophy, social sciences, and criminal justice classes, and offices for professors. After a major retrofitting project, Young Hall reopened for classes in October 2011.
The Dunlap-Newton Oakes building annex housed several academic departments (Language, English, Math, etc.). Dunlap-Newton Oakes is perhaps the most centrally located of all the buildings on the UNG campus. It sits to the east-northeast of the Drill Field, between the student center and the gymnasium.
The Nathaniel and Frances Fincher Hansford Hall (formerly known as West Main Hall and The Education Building), was originally built in 1913 with money acquired by President Gustavus Glenn (1904–1922) for $10,000. For many years, the 52 room brick building served as the company barracks housing all male students. This neoclassical building’s uniqueness comes from its stone masonry foundation and its Corinthian columns. This building has also been called the Industrial Building before being named the Academic Building. Hansford Hall had additions added to the east end in 1975 making the total square footage of the building 26,626 square feet (2,473.6 m2). In April 2011 the building was renamed Hansford Hall in honor of past president Nathaniel Hansford.
Rogers Hall was the first building constructed on campus after the end of World War II, and was initially called the Science Building. Construction began in 1946 and continued until 1948, completed by the William E. Fennell Construction Company from the neighboring city of Gainesville, Georgia. Rogers Hall cost the college $300,000. The three-story Colonial Revival and modern style building was constructed with a steel frame and finished with brick masonry. Rogers Hall housed the physics department on the first floor, the chemistry department on the second floor, and biology took up the third. Rogers Hall housed many of the natural sciences classes such as geology and other earth sciences, and still houses some physics labs. Rogers Hall gets its name from college president Jonathan Clark Rogers who later became the president of The University of Georgia. The building’s name was officially changed to Rogers Hall following his death in October 1967. Rogers Hall is located around the drill field and is 33,127 square feet (3,077.6 m2).
The Boar's Head Brigade was the official designation of the ROTC unit at North Georgia. It's history is steeped in hazing. It was formed along standard military units at a smaller scale. There were two battalions, and each battalion had three companies. There was one detached Headquarters Company. Headquarters and Headquarters Company consisted of the Brigade Staff, the Golden Eagle Band, the Blue Ridge Rifles, the Nurse Detachment, and Color Guard. Cadets lived in recently constructed and renovated suite-style residence halls - Liberty Hall, Patriot Hall, and Gaillard Hall - that comprised a military compound. The residence halls center on the COL Ben Purcell Formation Plaza and overlook the GEN William J. "Lipp" Livsey Drill Field.
Military life on campus was full-time during the week and even weekends. A typical week on campus began with a full brigade drill on Monday. Military drill starts the academic year with brigade drills in the fall, company drills in the winter, and squad drills in the spring. Companies submit to a "white collar" inspection of quarters each academic term. Quarters are meticulously cleaned and bunks must meet specific inspection requirements with a "white collar" turn down.
Daily life began with First Call at 6:45 a.m. and Reveille at 7:00 a.m. Retreat was sounded each day at 5:00 p.m. Tattoo was played at 11:30pm and Taps was played at 12:00 a.m. For Retreat, everyone on campus stops what they are doing, just like on a military post, and pays respect while the flag is lowered.
Cadet uniform requirements varied by weekday: Monday,Tuesday, and Wednesday, is Army Combat Uniform (ACU); Thursday and Friday is Class "B"s. On some Fridays, under the guidance of the Brigade Commander, cadets were authorized to wear "Campus Casual" attire that consists of a blue North Georgia polo shirt, khaki slacks, dress shoes, and a belt. Campus casual was created by Col. Palmer.
Members of the Corps may dress down to "civvies" at 5:00 p.m., given academic minimums are met, otherwise cadets must report for "quarters" (required study hall lasting Sunday through Thursday each week) at 8:00 p.m. There is a quarters break at 10:30 pm and quarters taps at 11:00 p.m. NCOs within each company alternate as CQ (Charge of Quarters) monitoring each company hall who stay on duty from 8:00 p.m. until official taps at 12:00 a.m.
Inspections and physical fitness were alternated during the week beginning with First Call. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are designated as "PRT" days, while Tuesday and Thursday are the "inspection" days. On inspection days, the Corps also has Cadet Professional Development classes (CPD). These classes are rudimentary, but serve a greater purpose that still remains to be discovered. These classes consist of policies, traditions, helpful tips on when its appropriate to wear a rain coat. that can be used to foster a successful future at North Georgia, let alone the Corps. Cadets are additionally required to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test each academic quarter. See www.northgeorgia.edu/cadetadmissions/ for more information.
"Aggressors Lead the Way!"
The Aggressor Platoon is an organization sponsored by the North Georgia Corps of Cadets Military Department. The unit functions as one of eleven military organizations and seeks to train students in light infantry, Ranger, special operations, and guerrilla warfare tactics. Using these skills the Aggressor Platoon provides a realistic opposing force (OPFOR) for Pre-Camp and Corps of Cadets field training exercises (FTX). Members use intense training and demanding FTX’s to enhance their levels of discipline, leadership, and tactical proficiency.
The Aggressor Platoon was originally formed in 1963 as an affiliate of the Scabbard and Blade in order to provide an opposing force for juniors before they went to summer training. Members were selected from the sophomore class based on their prior military experience and motivation. The platoon was nicknamed the “Black Tigers” in reference to the all black fatigues worn by the members. The platoon was reorganized in the late 1970s into its current form taking all volunteers from the school. Their motto is "Aggressors Lead the Way!"
To become an Aggressor, eligible students must show up at the Aggressor Rock in uniform and complete a physical fitness test, a timed obstacle course, and a 6-mile (9.7 km) ruck march. Upon a successful completion of tryouts, the student may have the opportunity to be a candidate in the platoon. To advance in rank, members must complete all assigned tests scoring 80 percent or above and show outstanding leadership in FTXs and regular training events.
"Blue and Gray All the Way!"
Perhaps one of the most highly regarded and respected units on campus are the Blue Ridge Rifles. The BRR get their name from a volunteer rifle unit that was located in Dahlonega during the Civil War. After the Civil War was over, members of the unit remained in contact. In the 1950s, North Georgia decided to form a platoon that specialized in rifle drills and showmanship and called the unit the Honor Platoon from 1950-58. In 1959, the unit was renamed the Blue Ridge Rifles as homage to the original Confederate unit.
The BRR are a nationally acclaimed unit that have performed in many drill competitions across the country. They pride themselves on this fact and are often considered to be one of the best drilling units in the country. They frequently compete with other highly esteemed drill units such as Texas A&M and West Point. Their motto is "Blue and Gray All the Way!"
"Storm the gates of hell!"
The mission for the chaplains in the Boar's Head Brigade is to help identify problems in the unit, propose solutions, and help commanders maintain a positive command environment. Chaplains will also maintain the capacity to present religious opportunities to the Corps, on a voluntary basis, and provide information on religious activities in the surrounding community.
The cadet chaplains also provide morale and motivation for each cadet company and therefore help to form the backbone of the unit. Each of the 10 chaplains are in positions of responsibility over morale, mental and spiritual health, and motivation in the Corps of Cadets. The motto of the Chaplain Corps is "Storm the gates of hell!"
The Cadet Chaplain Corps was started in the fall of 2000 with only one brigade chaplain. It has now grown to include one chaplain in each company, one chaplain in each battalion, and the brigade chaplain, all of which are volunteers. In 2008, the Boar's Head Brigade Cadet Chaplain Corps was constituted and became an official specialty unit on campus. The Chaplain Corps hosts a variety of events on campus, including Corps Bible study and Prayer Breakfast.
"Duty! Honor! Country!"
The North Georgia Color Guard is without a doubt the single most important specialty unit on campus. It is their job to safeguard and present the colors (American, State, and Boar's Head Brigade) at each and every function of the Corps of Cadets. The Color Guard is the military liaison for North Georgia College and State University. The North Georgia Color also performs around the South Eastern Region at military banquets (any US military branch), National Football League (NFL) games, Major League Baseball (MLB) games, NASCAR events, local parades, and many other community events.
The Color Guard is nationally recognized for its precision drill. The unit was recognized as the National Champion Color Guard Team in 2000 and 2002 at the National ROTC Drill Meet, held at Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana (also known as the Mardi Gras Drill Meet). More recently, in 2010 the Color Guard placed second at the Mardi Gras Drill Meet. Their unit is open to any member of the Corps of Cadets that is in high standing academically, physically, and morally.
The Color Guard motto is: "Duty, Honor, Country!"
"Talons of Steel"/"Raise hell"
The Golden Eagle Band (GEB) of the University of North Georgia is one of the most unique specialty units on campus. Not only is it a military organization, but it is also an academic class. The GEB is the oldest specialty unit on campus that traces it origins back with the founding of the university in 1873. It is also the oldest marching band in the state of Georgia. As such, it has a great level of history and tradition.
The Golden Eagle Band's mission is to "provide quality musicianship, discipline, and leadership through both military and musical training. We set and maintain the highest standards to represent North Georgia College & State University's Boar's Head Brigade."
Several times each semester, the Corps of Cadets has reviews and functions in which marching is involved. The Golden Eagle Band serves as "the heartbeat" of the Corps at these functions as they maintain the tempo for marches and perform the many bugle calls that are a required part of military processions. The majority of the band's performances are military processions. However, the band has recently integrated Drum Corps International techniques and shows into their regimen. The GEB goes on a tour across the Southeast every Spring semester. This makes for a more thorough and complete collegiate band experience as well as to entertain those who come to see the military reviews and processions.
Even though the GEB is one of the several military units on campus, it is in fact open to both cadets and civilian students. Participation is not limited to those with a background in music as all skills needed to perform in a military band are taught by the instructors and cadre. The GEB has two mottoes used to distinguish between new and veteran players: "Talons of Steel" for new members and "Raise Hell" for veterans.
"Mountain All the Way!"/"If you can't keep up the pace, drop out of the formation."
In 1962, the Order of Colombo Mountain Platoon was conceived by a group of cadets who were interested in forming a unique organization after watching a demonstration performed by the cadre of the U.S. Army Mountain Ranger Camp. After requesting information and training assistance from the ranger camp, Master Sergeant Louis P. Colombo, who was assigned to Camp Merrill, volunteered his time and knowledge. Prior to MSG Colombo’s departure, the unit was named in his honor. MSG Colombo died in November 1995.
The unit is sponsored by the military department to promote interest in military mountaineering and small unit infantry tactics. Members are selected from those cadets who successfully pass a rigorous physical fitness test and tactical skills test. Their mission is to train and develop cadets into potential mountain combat soldiers with emphasis on the subjects of mountaineering, fixed installations, terrain navigation, small unit tactics, hand-to-hand combat, and survival tactics.
Small unit tactics are initially taught in the classroom, followed by practical exercises in a field environment. Mountaineering skills are initially taught in the classroom, practiced on the rappelling tower, and then perfected at Mount Yonah. Their motto is "Mountain All the Way!"
Coordinates: Template:University of North Georgia