From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
|This article is incomplete. (March 2011)|
The Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT) is a nonverbal measure of general ability. There are three versions of this test, designed by Jack A. Naglieri and published by Pearson Education. First is the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test - Individual Form published in 2004. Two versions were published in 2007 and 2008, respectively. This includes the group administered Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test - Second Edition and the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test - Online version. The most current version is NNAT2. Like all nonverbal ability tests, the NNAT is intended to assess cognitive ability independently of linguistic and cultural background.
These tests may be administered to K–12 school children on an individual or group basis as a means to identify potentially gifted children for placement in accelerated programs.
2013 marked the first year that the NYC school system started using the NNAT-2 as a diagnostic tool for accessing a child’s gifted potential. The decision sparked some degree of controversy  The NNAT-2 is considered significantly harder than the BSRA which it replaced. In NYC, the NNAT-2 makes up 75% of the gifted and talented exam, with the other 25% being the OLSAT Many parents were displeased with these changes, which came after over 1,600 children in New York City scored the top marks on the previous test 
The NNAT has been found by at least one study to show excessive score variability, with within-grade standard deviations reaching as high as 20 points. This has the effect of both overrepresenting and underrepresenting index scores - that is, more students received very high or very low scores than expected. Lohman et al. found that 3.4 times as many students scored in the 130+ range on the NNAT as expected.