From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
The first ever in the city, built in 640 AD by Utba bin Farqad Al-Salami after he captured Mosul during the reign of Caliph Umar ibn Al-Khattab. The only part still extant is the remarkably elaborate brickwork 52 m high minaret that leans like the Tower of Pisa, called Al-Hadba (The Humped).
Built by Nuriddin Zanki in 1172 AD next door to the Umayyad Mosque. Ibn Battuta (the great Moroccan traveller) found a marble fountain there and a mihrab (the niche that indicates the direction of Mecca) with a Kufic inscription.
On one of the two most prominent mounds of Nineveh ruins, rises the Mosque (an Nestorian-Assyrian Church before) of prophet Younis "Biblical Jonah", the son of Amittai, from the 8th century BC which was believed to be the burial place of him, and where King Esarhaddon had once built a palace.
This old shrine standing on the site of a Christian church was a stone's throw from the built-up walls and gates of Nineveh. In the middle of the mosque stood a sepulcher, covered with a Persian carpet of silk and silver, and at the four corners, great copper candlesticks with wax tapers, besides several lamps and ostrich shells that hung down from the roof. A whale's tooth, appropriate to Jonah's well-known adventure at sea, was said to be preserved there.
It was one of the most important mosques in Mosul and one of the few historic mosques that are found in the east side of the city.
“ISIS militants have destroyed the Prophet Younis (Jonah) shrine east of Mosul city after they seized control of the mosque completely,” a security source, who kept his identity anonymous, told the Iraq-based al-Sumaria News.
“The militants closed all of the mosque doors and prevented worshipers from entering to pray,”
This dates back to 12th century AD, and is distinguished for its beautiful dome and elaborately wrought mihrab.
Believed to be the burial place of the prophet Jerjis. It is built of marble with beautiful reliefs and renovated last in 1393. It was mentioned by the explorer Ibn Jubair in the 12th century, and is believed also to embrace the tomb of Al-Hur bin Yousif. The court of the ruler at time of Ummaveet (Bany ummayya) is thought to be not far from this mosque.
On the right bank of the Tigris, it known for its conical dome, decorative brick-work and calligraphy engraved in Mosul blue marble, 13th century.
The remnants of the 13th-century palace of Sultan Badruddin Lu'lu'. It was the court of the ruler of Mosul at the time of Uthmaneets. The Turkish meaning of the name is "black palace". The place was famous at the time when the Jaleeli dynasty ruled Mosul early in the 18th century; the Persians invaded Kurdistan and progressed towards Mosul, besieging the city. But the city resisted and after a long siege Nader Shah decided to turn back without invading the city. It was here that the command and control was based.