|Meaning||Feminine form of Michael, meaning "who is like God."|
|Related names||Michael, Michelle|
Michaela (Hebrew מיכאלה) is a feminine given name. It is a feminine form of the Hebrew name Michael (מִיכָאֵל), which means "Who is like God."
It was rare in any country until it became fashionable in Germany, Austria and Switzerland in the 1950s to 1970s.
As of 2008, it was 357th in rank for newborn girls in the United States, and 325th in England and Wales. The variant spelling Makayla has become more popular than the original in the United States.
In Germany, Slovakia and Poland, the name day for Michaela is 24 August and 29 September and in Czech Republic, the name day for Michaela is October 19.
There are numerous variant spellings. Equivalents in other languages include:
Notable people with this name
- Michaela Badinková (born 1979), Slovak actress
- Michala Banas (born 1978), New Zealand actress best known for the TV series McLeod's Daughters
- Michaela Bercu (born 1967), Romanian-Israeli model
- Michaela Conlin (born 1978), American actress in Bones
- Michaela Denis (1914–2003), British-born film-maker
- Michaela Dorfmeister (born 1973), Austrian skier
- Michaela Kargbo (born 1991), track and field athlete in Sierra Leone
- Michaëlla Krajicek (born 1989), Dutch female tennis player, sister of Richard Krajicek
- Michaela McManus (born 1983), American actress in Law & Order, SVU
- McKayla Maroney (born 1995), American gymnast
- McKayla Matthews (born 1979), pornographic actress
- Mikayla Mendez (born 1980), American pornographic actress
- Michaela Paštiková (born 1980), Czech tennis player
- Michaela Schaffrath (born 1970), German television actress
- Michaela Strachan (born 1966), British television presenter
- Michaela Watkins (born 1971), American actress
- Michaela McAreavey (1983–2011), Ulster Rose of Tralee 2004 and daughter of Mickey Harte
- Micaela Bastidas Puyucahua (1747–1781), Martyr for Peruvian Independence
Uses in popular culture
- ″Michaela″, 1999 German song by Element Crime
- "Michaela", 1972 German song by Bata Illic
- "Michaela", 2003 Hebrew song by Ron Shuval and Yoav Itzhak
- Michaela, 2004 Israeli television series (מיכאלה)
- "Michaela Strachan", 2007 Australian song by Scouting for Girls
- Michaela at "Behind the Name"
- Duden: Lexikon der Vornamen. 2004.