From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Malaya can refer to:
Geographic/former political entities
Malaya including Singapore
- In Singapore law, Malaya means the States of Malaya (also known as Peninsular Malaysia) together with Singapore (1946-present).
Malaya excluding Singapore
- The Malayan Union (1946-1948), a post-war British colony consisting of all states in British Malaya except Singapore.
- The Federation of Malaya (1948-1963), the successor to the Malayan Union (also excluding Singapore), which gained independence within the Commonwealth of Nations in 1957.
- Present-day Peninsular Malaysia (1963-present), also formally known as the States of Malaya or West Malaysia, includes the states and territories formerly composing the Federation of Malaya.
- Malaya (film), a 1949 American film set in Japanese occupied Malaya.
- Malayan (film), a 2009 Tamil film
- HMS Malaya, a Queen Elizabeth class battleship of the Royal Navy
- Operation Malaya, an ongoing police investigation taking place in Spain
- Oxana Malaya (born 1983), a feral child found in Ukraine in 1991, who had spent most of her childhood life in the company of dogs, picking-up a number of dog-like habits.
- Malaya (Philippine newspaper), after the Tagalog word meaning "free" or "freedom".
- The name of a "National Forest" or sacred garden, comparable to the Garden of Eden, in Shambhala tradition.
- The Malayan tribe of Kerala State in India
- In Russian names, малая, feminine singular nominative of the Russian adjective малый = "small"
- Kiswahili for a "woman of the town".
- Malaya, a genus of the mosquito.
- ^ s. 2, Interpretation Act (Cap. 1), Statutes of the Republic of Singapore