From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Magdalena de Kino is a city and surrounding municipality located in the Mexican state of Sonora covering approximately 560 square miles (1,460 square kilometers). According to the 2005 census, the city's population was 23,101, and the municipality's population was 25,500. Magdalena de Kino is in the northern section of Sonora 50 miles (80 kilometers) from the Mexico-U.S. border. To the north the municipality abuts Nogales; to the south, the municipality of Santa Ana; to the east, Imuris and Cucurpe; and to the west, the municipalities of Tubutama and Sáric. Its main sectors include San Ignacio, San Isidro, Tacicuri, and Sásabe. The city was named after the Italian, Roman Catholic missionary, Father Eusebio Francisco Kino, who worked in the area, as well as in the present-day US state of Arizona.
Originally, the territory was populated by the Papagos (Tohono O'odham) and Pimas (Akimel O'odham). The first missions were established in 1687, with the arrival of Father Eusebio Francisco Kino. The municipal seat was founded at the beginning of 17th century by Lieutenant Juan Bautista Escalante. Magdalena de Kino suffered two massacres, one in 1757 and another in 1776. The city was founded by decree in December, 1923. At first the city was called "Santa María Magdalena de Buquivaba", but was changed in 1966 to its present name.
Agriculture is a key economic activity throughout the municipality. Of the 3,300 acres (13 km2) of arable land, 2,800 (approximately 85%) are irrigated. Crops include fruit, wheat, maize, common bean and sorghum. Cattle ranching is also an important source of income within the municipality.
Industry employs approximately 2,000 individuals, primarily at the various maquiladoras. In addition, the city's businesses produce beverages, construction and furniture.
Magdalena de Kino has 6 hotels and 6 bars/restaurants and several sites of interest to tourists, including:
Magdalena de Kino is twinned with:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Magdalena de Kino.|