From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
According to the 2001 United Kingdom Census, the community had a population of 988. It is located near the border with Pembrokeshire close to the Landsker Line. The village itself is on the Welsh speaking side.
Llanboidy is a scenic village in West Carmarthenshire, Wales. Its history goes back to the Iron Age where the site of a timber built fort can be seen near the village centre. 'Llanboidy' may mean church (Llan) of the cowshed (beudy) and its name probably is linked to St. Brynach. Brynach was a wandering 5th century Irish saint who got shipwrecked off the South Wales coast, returning to Ireland from a tour to Brittany. He founded several West Wales churches and the village church is named after and dedicated to him.
It has a sports and social club and a football (soccer) team. There is a village Post office and the school has recently been re-built. The church graveyard holds a very precious statue by the Cardiff born Sculptor Sir William Goscombe John which is deteriorating. It was a funerary monument to the Victorian era MP Walter Rice Howell Powell. Powell was a Haverfordwest born 1819 philanthropist who brought money and jobs to the village and his legacy can be seen at the Market Hall and other fine buildings in the village. The seat of the Powells was the mansion of Maesgwynne, north of the village.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Llanboidy|