A photograph of the mill at Littleton taken by Samuel Calvin between 1890 and 1911.
Littleton was platted in 1855 by Moses Little and Chatham was platted by Dr. Robert W. Wright. Chatham was in section 10 of Perry Township with Littleton just on the other side in section 9. The post office changed names from Chatham to Littleton in the 1880s. This area is generally referred to today as Littleton. Though Littleton had a booming beginning, the community never incorporated, remaining forever a small town on a side road between Independence and Jesup.