Tools available for borrowing at Fletcher Free Library, Burlington, Vermont
The following tool-lending libraries allow patrons to borrow tools, equipment and "how-to" instructional materials, functioning either as a rental shop, with a charge for borrowing the tools, or more commonly free of charge as a form of community sharing.
A tool lending library was started in Columbus, OH in 1976. Originally run by the City, the Tool Library is now operated by Rebuilding Together Central Ohio, a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization that works to preserve and revitalize homes and communities in Central Ohio. The RTCO Tool Library makes available over 4,500 tools free of charge to both individuals and non-profit organizations. One of the first tool libraries was the Berkeley Tool Lending Library, which started in 1979 with a $30,000 community block grant. A variation of the tool lending library model exists in Atlanta, Georgia. At the Atlanta Community ToolBank, the tools are reserved for use by nonprofit and other community-based organizations who are performing volunteer and facility maintenance projects. The ToolBank tool inventory is not available to individuals.
More recently, the community of West Seattle in Washington started the West Seattle Tool Library, which provides a wide variety of tools and resources for individuals and organizations while specifically encouraging sustainable urban living. In 2011, Popular Mechanics recognized "Building a Local Tool Library" as one of its top ten ways to change the world, while highlighting the West Seattle Tool Library.
In response to that recognition, "Share Starter", a non-profit based in Seattle, began to offer a free "Tool Library Starter Kit" to any community interested in starting a lending library of their own.
Vancouver Tool Library, 2011
- Toronto – Toronto Tool Library: home repair, community projects, gardening/ landscaping
- Ottawa – Ottawa Public Library – pedometers, energy meters
- Calgary, Alberta – Calgary Public Library – Energy meters
- Vancouver – Vancouver Tool Library: home repair, gardening/landscaping, and bike maintenance tools
- Hamafkid – Israel lending tools and other equipment site
- Borås – Mötesplats Norrby, Borås Public Library
- Malmö - ToolPool, Malmö Järnhandel
- Berkeley – Berkeley Public Library's Tool Lending Library 
- Oakland – Oakland Public Library's Temescal Tool Lending Library
- San Francisco – San Francisco Tool Lending Center (currently closed to the public, but check for updates)
- Santa Clara – Silicon Valley Power Tool Lending Library (energy-related only)
- Sonoma County (Santa Rosa) – Santa Rosa Tool Library
- Loma Linda – Loma Linda Redevelopment Agency's Tool Lending Library
- Atlanta – Atlanta Community ToolBank
- Wichita – Community Housing Services of Wichita/Sedgwick County's Tool Lending Library (defunct)
- New Orleans – New Orleans Tool Lending Library, 1717 Tchoupitoulas St., email@example.com
- Mount Rainier - Mount Rainier Community Tool Shed - City of Mount Rainier tool library.
- Baltimore - Station North Tool Library - City of Baltimore tool library.
-  - Northfield Tool Lending Library - Caldwell Road (Transfer Station)
-  - BYEN Tool Library - 2010 Columbus Ave., Roxbury, MA
- Ann Arbor – Ann Arbor District Library (energy meter only)
- Grosse Pointe – Grosse Point Public Library and the Grosse Point Rotary Club's Tool Library
- Missoula – Missoula Urban Demonstration Project (MUD) Tool Library
- Santa Fe – Santa Fe Habitat for Humanity ReStore Tool Lending Library
- Buffalo – Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy's Tool Lending Library
- Buffalo – PUSH Buffalo and Buffalo ReUSE's Tool Library
- Buffalo – University Heights Tool Library
- Rochester – Corn Hill Neighbors Association's Tool Library
- Manhattan – SeaportTools.org Tool Lending Library
- Central Ohio – Rebuilding Together Central Ohio Tool Library
- Orem – City of Orem Tool Lending Library
- Burlington – Fletcher Free Library
West Seattle Tool Library, 2011