This is a list of famous bank robberies, bank robbers and gangs involved in bank robberies.
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it
- Banco Central burglary at Fortaleza – 2005, the largest bank robbery in Brazil and one of the largest in history (US$70.1 million)
- Embraforte burglary at Belo Horizonte - 2010. The robbers escaped with approximately US$25 million stolen from a cash transportation company
- Bank of the Republic (Colombia) robbery – On October 16 and 17, 1994, $24 075 million pesos (US$ 28.8 million dollars ) cash was extracted from the Bank in the city of Valledupar, Colombia. The money was in non-circulating bills of $2000, $5000 and $10000 pesos denominations. The bank had the serial number of every bill stolen.
- 1979 Po Sang Bank robbery, the largest at the time
- Chelembra Bank Robbery – Considered as one of the biggest bank robberies in India. Stolen Rs. 80 million (including 80 Kilograms of gold) on December 31, 2007. On February 28, 2008, Kerala Police arrested four persons, including the kingpin behind the robbery and recovered 80% of the stolen gold.
- Central Bank of Iraq— US$6.6 billion went missing sometime between 2003 to 2009. Possibly the biggest and best bank heist in history as no one even knows when or where the money was actually taken. Stuart Bowen, special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction, an office created by Congress, said the missing $6.6 billion may be "the largest theft of funds in national history." (source LA Times )
- Central Bank of Iraq—Nearly US$1 billion is stolen on March 18, 2003, just hours after the United States began bombing Baghdad. This is considered the largest bank heist in history. (Source CNN  )
- July 28, 2009 – 12H39 – banking – crime – Iraq (AFP) Eight dead, US$ 3.8 million dollars missing in Baghdad bank heist Thieves made off with at least 3.8 million dollars in a pre-dawn raid on a branch of state-owned Al-Rafidain bank in the central Baghdad shopping district of Karrada on Tuesday that left eight police guards dead in one of Iraq's biggest-ever heists.
- Dar Es Salaam Bank in Baghdad—About US$300 million is stolen on July 12, 2007 by the bank's security guards, but mostly recovered later. (Source: Reuters )
- Al-Rafidain Bank, in the town of al-Mishkhab, 20 miles south of Najaf-About US$5.5 million is stolen on Friday, May 28, 2010.
- HSBC, 2007, 1 million Euros
- The Museon Museum Jewel Heist
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol The biggest jewel and diamond heist in Dutch history at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, where 75 million euros worth of jewels and diamonds was stolen from a secured cargo area. The robbers threatened security employees with guns and drove away in a money transport truck.
- Alvin Flores Gang
- Kuratong Baleleng Gang
- ABL Karachi,December 13, 2009, 301 Million Rs
KARACHI: In the biggest bank robbery in Pakistan’s history, foreign currency worth Rs 301 million was looted from the Allied Bank Limited (ABL)’s head office on II Chundrigar Road here on Sunday morning. Earlier, the looted amount was projected as being over Rs 500 million.
- Wołów bank robbery - the largest.
- Kredyt Bank in Warsaw, 3 March 2001 - The bandits have stolen 100 thousand złoty's and shooting three cashiers and a security guard. Three criminals were sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Croydon Airport, 1935, members of the Sabini gang stole £12 million (at today's value) worth of gold bullion.
- Heathrow Airport. 1952, Jack Spot's £1.25million heist failed.
- Eastcastle Street, 1952, Billy Hill's postal van robbery, netted £250,000.
- Great Train Robbery, 1963, Buster Edwards, Charlie Wilson, Bruce Reynolds, Ronnie Biggs etc. robbed £2.6million.
- Linwood bank robbery, 1969, two policemen killed.
- Baker Street robbery, 1971, London, politically sensitive material taken from safe deposit boxes.
- Bank of America robbery, 1975, Mayfair, London. £8 million stolen; £500,000 recovered.
- Security Express, 1983, Curtain Road, Shoreditch, the Knight brothers and friends took £6m.
- Brink's-MAT robbery, 1983, Heathrow Airport, England, £26 million gold bullion.
- Knightsbridge Security Deposit robbery, 1987, £40 million. Gang leader Valerio Viccei caught when he returned to the country.
- City of London financial messenger mugged for £292m in government bonds, 1990. All but two recovered.
- Graff Jewellers 1, 2003, £23m in jewellery taken from this Mayfair store.
- Northern Bank robbery, 2004, Belfast, Northern Ireland, £26 million.
- Securitas depot robbery, 2006, Kent, South East England, £53,116,760.
- Graff Jewellers 2, 2009, Another £40m in jewellery taken.
- Harvey Bailey
- Ma Barker
- Clyde Barrow, of Bonnie and Clyde
- Naomi Betts
- Black Liberation Army
- James J. Bulger
- Butch Cassidy, leader of the Hole in the Wall Gang
- William Daddano Sr.
- Emmett Dalton, principal of the Dalton Gang, 1890s
- Britton Davis, Pittsburgh
- Kevin Ian Davis, Pittsburgh
- Bennie Dickson
- Stella Mae Dickson
- The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord
- John Dillinger
- Bill Doolin, 1890s
- Earl Durand
- Charles Arthur "Pretty Boy" Floyd
- Geezer bandit
- Granddad Bandit
- Patty Hearst
- J.L. Hunter
- James-Younger Gang, 1866–1881
- Frank James, one of the two James Brothers
- Jesse James, the other member of the James Brothers pair
- Philip N. Johnson, $18.8 million of Loomis-Fargo's Jacksonville. FL Office.
- Alvin Karpis
- Tom Ketchum
- Harry Longabaugh, known as "The Sundance Kid"
- Candice Rose Martinez, "The Cell Phone Bandit"
- Emil Matasareanu & Larry Eugene Phillips, Jr., North Hollywood shootout
- Mad Hatter (bank robber), 2006–2007
- May 19th Communist Organization
- McCanles gang, 1861
- Midwest Bank Robbers, 1990s
- Vernon Miller*Bugs Moran
- Frank Nash
- George "Baby Face" Nelson
- Albert Frederick Nussbaum
- Joseph "Specs" O'Keefe
- Reno Gang
- Kenneth "Speedy" Raulerson
- Stanley Mark Rifkin, $10.2 million in 1978, the largest in U.S. history at the time
- Scott "Hollywood" Scurlock
- Mutulu Shakur
- Timothy Michael Smith, Pittsburgh
- Luke Elliott Sommer
- Henry Starr
- Willie "The Actor" Sutton
- Symbionese Liberation Army
- The Order (group)
- Stephen Trantel aka "The Long Island Bank Robber", New York commodities broker who robbed 10 banks from July through November of 2003, after losing his six-figure job. He netted just over $60,000 from the 10 bank robberies, was unarmed, and no one was injured during the commission of the crimes. He was featured on 48 Hours ("Stolen Dreams", 2008), Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry? ("Keeping Up Appearances" (2010)), and the 2011 American Greed debut ("Case File: Bank Robbing Broker"); he is also the subject of an upcoming book
- Trenchcoat Robbers – 1997 $4.46M cash
- United Freedom Front
- Bobby Randell Wilcoxson
- John Wojtowicz
- Adam Worth
- Gregory M Rose
- Robberies (chronological)
- United States Trust Company theft, 1934
- Bank of the Manhattan Company theft, 1935, same gang as the United States Trust Company theft one month earlier, $1.462 million in U.S. Government securities (largest to that date)
- Great Brink's Robbery, 1950, $2.78 million in cash, cheques and securities (largest value robbery to that date)
- United California Bank robbery, 1972, safe deposit boxes looted of approximately $30 million in cash and valuables (largest value in world to that date)
- Lufthansa heist, 1978, $5 million in cash (largest cash to that date) and $875,000 in jewels
- Security Pacific Bank, Norco, California, 1980, deadly shootout between local law enforcement and five bank robbers
- Brinks robbery, 1981, deadly shootout between local law enforcement and 10+ bank robbers populated with members of two revolutionary organizations
- White Eagle, 1983, $7.2 million in cash (largest cash to that date)
- 1986 FBI Miami shootout, 1986, deadly shootout between FBI and two bank robbers
- North Hollywood shootout, 1997, deadly shootout between local law enforcement and two bank robbers
- Loomis Fargo armored car robbery by Philip N. Johnson, March 1997, $18.8 million in cash
- Dunbar Armored robbery, September 1997, $18.9 million in cash (the current U.S. cash robbery record)
- Loomis Fargo Bank Robbery, October 1997, $17.3 million in cash
- 1998 Bank of America robbery, $1.6 million cash
- ^ "Chelambra robbery; Four held". The New Indian Express. http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IER20080225214133.
- ^ Ngân hàng Iraq mất $5 triệu sau khi lính canh bị cho uống thuốc ngủ (Vietnamese)
- ^ 1976: Bank robbers jailed for 100 years, BBC News, On this day
- ^ High-profile heists , BBC News, High-profile heists
- ^ "The Ultimate Heist". Time. November 20, 1978. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,948323-1,00.html.
- ^ "American Greed 2011 Debut Features The Story of Stephen Trantel, Bank Robbing Broker"
- ^ Kotlowitz, Alex (July 8, 2002). "THE TRENCHCOAT ROBBERS". New Yorker. http://www.alexkotlowitz.com/03_02.html. Retrieved September 7, 2010.